• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why aren't Derbyan and Mustache Parakeets more popular?

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
I went to my bird store yesterday and they had 2 baby Mustache Parakeets. Both of them were reserved for customers already. I know their breeder is in Arizona. They said it is hit or miss with selling them. Either they do not sell or they get snatched up right away. The girl that did the majority of care for my bird when he was there (too young to be sold) said that she thinks the babies are not really as vibrant as some other baby birds so sometimes they get overlooked by customers. I personally think they are the cutest babies. But I'm a little biased. LOL
I second @rick_s0910 in that my Beaksey is getting very talkative. He loves it when I sing to him. He doesn't care what, but I always include his name. He's sweet bird and I know he relies on and trusts me, but he is still not the cuddly type.
I think they're not popular in the US because they are just not known here.

JessPets

Meeting neighbors
Great question! I ask myself the same thing! I have 3 Moustache Parakeets, but I got them as adult breeders. They're pretty talkative and do interact with us! They seem to enjoy us talking to them and they love taking treats off our hands. They're beautiful and some of my favorite birds, along with Indian Ringnecks, Plumheads, Alexanderines, and English Budgies... View attachment 249807 View attachment 249810
WOW!!! They are beautiful!!

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for them? I'm trying to figure out what others have payed so I know the general price

Harleyandme

Sprinting down the street
Moustache parakeets are pretty common here in Perth, they are readily available (not sure of the price though), as for Alexandrines, they're $850 handreared, not sure if this is pricey or not but doesn't seem too bad:)
Yes, there are some for sale here which are $850 NZD which is about $580 USD. Those are the untamed ones, so it would be about the same. Not so common here.

rick_s0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
"Rick" Ricardo
WOW!!! They are beautiful!!

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for them? I'm trying to figure out what others have payed so I know the general price
Thank you! I actually got really good deals on them! $500 for the pair in McAllen, TX and $350 for a Male in Houston, TX. I dont see them often but the times that i have seen them, prices were between $350-500 for tame babies. Usually see the ad too late though...

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
For my Beaksey I believe I paid $399. Hand tame baby. It's one owner with 2 stores, so not a chain.

BarbAga

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
I just got a new Mp and am falling madly in love.. He was a dream parott to find. Ifeel blessed.