• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why aren't Derbyan and Mustache Parakeets more popular?

JessPets

Meeting neighbors
Hey guys, sorry for all the questions, but why aren't Derbyans/Mustache parakeets more popular?? Are they illegal places, hard to breed, bad temperaments?? From the few things I've read, they seem like good pets - independent but sweet, good size, and (when you can find them) not super pricey. What am I missing?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Probably the not easy to find part. I see IRN at a local bird fair but there's only one breeder who sometimes has a Moustache parakeet and every now and then there's one other vendor who has a baby or two.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Indian ring-necked parakeets have similar personalities, and in a single clutch it is possible to have babies of different colors born. The different mutations of the Indian ring-necked parakeet visually appeal to more people.

JessPets

Meeting neighbors
Indian ring-necked parakeets have similar personalities, and in a single clutch it is possible to have babies of different colors born. The different mutations of the Indian ring-necked parakeet visually appeal to more people.
But I have heard that IRN tend to have a little less 'friendly' personality. Is this true or a myth? Thank you both for your responses!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
There are a lot of birds with great companion potential that aren't bred readily due to rarity, demand, and, probably, coloration. Sadly. Black lories, Patagonian conures, Buffons macaws, yellow collared macaws, mustache parakeets, Alexandrines, etc.

JessPets

Meeting neighbors
There are a lot of birds with great companion potential that aren't bred readily due to rarity, demand, and, probably, coloration. Sadly. Black lories, Patagonian conures, Buffons macaws, yellow collared macaws, mustache parakeets, Alexandrines, etc.
That sure sucks. I was looking into Alexes too, they are just so rare and expensive here...

Harleyandme

Sprinting down the street
Where I live, they are NEVER in pet stores (moustache parakeets), while I have heard up the coast there are a few IRNs around. We have a lot of breeders though and moustache parakeets come up now and then.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That sure sucks. I was looking into Alexes too, they are just so rare and expensive here...

On bird breeders, a Texas breeder has some Alexandrines.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
But I have heard that IRN tend to have a little less 'friendly' personality. Is this true or a myth? Thank you both for your responses!
Most- and I did say most- have a more independent spirit about them...they also tend to be a non-cuddly species. These tendencies turn off a lot of people, which is their loss...

Jottlebot

Meeting neighbors
Hi, I have an Alex and can't recommend them highly enough! I'm in the UK though so I know that's not helpful. They aren't common here, but do come up for sale fairly frequently. So on the main bird-selling websites here there are usually 1 or 2 breeders and often up to about 6 older birds looking to be re-homed.

When I bought my Alex there were Derbyan parakeets in the cage next to him. They were absolutely lovely! Great personalities and even though they were all parent-reared and were in a stressful situation of a bird fair they were active and playful and interested in what was going on. I was very tempted, but hadn't done any research on them and didn't want to buy a bird that wasn't suited to my lifestyle so I stuck with my Alex.

Visually I'm not so keen on parrots with hard blocks of colour, so I find Alex's, Amazons, IRNs etc more appealing than the blocky colour of Derbyans and Moustached.

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
Hi, I have an Alex and can't recommend them highly enough! I'm in the UK though so I know that's not helpful. They aren't common here, but do come up for sale fairly frequently. So on the main bird-selling websites here there are usually 1 or 2 breeders and often up to about 6 older birds looking to be re-homed.

When I bought my Alex there were Derbyan parakeets in the cage next to him. They were absolutely lovely! Great personalities and even though they were all parent-reared and were in a stressful situation of a bird fair they were active and playful and interested in what was going on. I was very tempted, but hadn't done any research on them and didn't want to buy a bird that wasn't suited to my lifestyle so I stuck with my Alex.

Visually I'm not so keen on parrots with hard blocks of colour, so I find Alex's, Amazons, IRNs etc more appealing than the blocky colour of Derbyans and Moustached.
Whats the main bird selling website ?

Jottlebot

Meeting neighbors
Whats the main bird selling website ?
I would say Bird Trader and Preloved, Gumtree often has some too. They don't seem to be updated that regularly though in terms of when birds get sold. I called quite a few of the breeder on Bird Trader early in the year for Alex's and they didn't have any, but still had the adverts up.

Are you looking for an Alex?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I think a lot of it has to do with people just not breeding them. It's the same with the Ruppell's which I think is sad. I love the Alex's and the Derbyan's. I've met a Derbyan and he was an incredible chewer! I mean he would rival my Rosies and they chew like a Macaw!

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
I would say Bird Trader and Preloved, Gumtree often has some too. They don't seem to be updated that regularly though in terms of when birds get sold. I called quite a few of the breeder on Bird Trader early in the year for Alex's and they didn't have any, but still had the adverts up.

Are you looking for an Alex?
nope just cockatiels maybe for my bday in a few months soo excited

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
I have a Mustache Parakeet, Beaks, I love him! He's not the cuddliest, but it could partially be my fault. He DOES tell you when he does not want you picking him up but does not bite me in those cases, others he will. He is really a sweet bird and LOVES to have our attention. He cuddles with my son as he is his 'person'. He is talking now at a year and his speech is very clear. I think they are lovely birds, but not for a novice, as they have a hard bite and are not afraid to use that beak! I have only seen him and his sibling for sale anywhere. I purchased him from a Pet Store.

starrynightxxi

Meeting neighbors
I don't know where you are located but I ran into a breeder from maryland at a recent expo in PA with IRNs, mustaches, and alexandrines, he also has a pair of plumheads though no babies there at the moment.

Mustache parakeets have been my "I could handle that" dream bird (as opposed to the "I could never deal with that kind of nonsense" BE2 lol) but seemed generally unobtainable so i was pretty excited to find him.

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
Generally those here on the Forum are against Expos based on cleanliness and lack of space and care for the birds the vendors have. I have never been to one. Just be careful wherever you source your pets from. Make sure you take them to a vet, or call and check with the vet you are told the animal has seen for care/that 'clean bill of health'.
My Beaks isn't a bad bird at all, We Love Him immensely. I would just say they may be a little slower to warm up to people and things... a bit more cautions and will certainly tell you when they are not COOL with something.

rick_s0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
"Rick" Ricardo
Great question! I ask myself the same thing! I have 3 Moustache Parakeets, but I got them as adult breeders. They're pretty talkative and do interact with us! They seem to enjoy us talking to them and they love taking treats off our hands. They're beautiful and some of my favorite birds, along with Indian Ringnecks, Plumheads, Alexanderines, and English Budgies... 20170330_164011.jpg 20170513_023709.jpg

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Great question! I ask myself the same thing! I have 3 Moustache Parakeets, but I got them as adult breeders. They're pretty talkative and do interact with us! They seem to enjoy us talking to them and they love taking treats off our hands. They're beautiful and some of my favorite birds, along with Indian Ringnecks, Plumheads, Alexanderines, and English Budgies... View attachment 249807 View attachment 249810
They are very beautiful! ♥

galah!

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pia
Moustache parakeets are pretty common here in Perth, they are readily available (not sure of the price though), as for Alexandrines, they're $850 handreared, not sure if this is pricey or not but doesn't seem too bad:)