• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why are Linnies so hard to find?

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
The husband worked his first day at home with the boys. They share a home office.

He was really appreciative of how social they are, without being super loud. He told me he really enjoys taking breaks from work to chat with them or play music.

We discussed maybe getting more Linnies, or a canary. I would get a very large cage, but I don't think I could house a canary with my Linnies.

So we thought of trying to get a couple more Linnies. But I can't find them anywhere!!!

Why are they so hard to find?

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks so much, Diane. I found these boogers there. ❤The birds they currently have listed are overpriced. The breeder I got mine from had one baby, then went out of her way to have a friend transport a green fella from a bird show. She says she may have two babies in the spring. I guess that's my best chance.
I just don't know why they are so hard to find. : )

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Probably because as cute as they are, they aren't the cuddly, big, flashy, talking parrots that everyone sees at the pet store, or on TV. They aren't well known so people just getting into parrots (arguably the most avid buyers of babies) aren't seeking them out.

santacruzjack

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jack
Just as Mizzely said, there's a lot of interesting history with bird popularity in the United States and even worldwide some species have niche popularity zones. Linnies have never really been flashy or featured on any sort of film or show, and their desirable traits are very subtle and muted in comparison to a "parrot that talks". Maybe we'll make Linnies popular ourselves!

I know of two Linnie breeders in California. They're both great breeders of hand-raised linnies, although I only know the name of one, West Coast Birds, where I got Mia from. She's an absolute doll, very cuddly and curious, and the breeder has a lot of knowledge and experience about breeding birds in general, including very careful management of mates to prevent inbreeding and introduction of linnies from other families to promote diversity and health. Dinah comes from a bird shop/rescue in Concord, CA called Feathered Follies, in my opinion the best location in the state for safe bird care, adoption, AND hand-raised babies. They have a breeder of Linnies who sells to them every year and that's where we got Dinah.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Actually, I think there are quite a few Linnie breeders out there, they just don't advertise as well as the bigger birds. We have a few right here in Wisconsin and in Illinois. I think it's a matter of really digging around as well as knowing a few people. Michelle, where are you located?

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
Actually, I think there are quite a few Linnie breeders out there, they just don't advertise as well as the bigger birds. We have a few right here in Wisconsin and in Illinois. I think it's a matter of really digging around as well as knowing a few people. Michelle, where are you located?
I am in Indiana. And I am not in the loop. : ) I looked for breeders is Indiana, none that I could find.

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
I don't know of any breeders either. I did see on Bird Fever's (Indianapolis) Page a couple of weeks ago they had some baby linnie's.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you look on the web page of Membership theme should be a short list of breeders. Seems to be several in southern Pa. That is where I found one. Most will ship. These breeders are trying to keep the species as close genetically speaking to the wild ones, especially for colors. They strive for green.

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
Awe...I read the membership page you refer to, Diane. The natural greens are my favorite! I tried to get a natural green. Arnold is more of an "olive" color, but he's still a cutie. ❤

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
April, is this "Bird Fever" in the Indy Star?