• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

who here has frogs as pets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tattooedispatcher

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Terri
I am considering a frog as a pet. So I am reading up on them. I don't want one that eats live mice or anything haha just a small one. What do you recommend? What should I know about it's habitat? How should I fix it's home? How much water? Yes I can read all day long, but I rather know from people not a web site. Tell me what I need to know, what kind of frog would be best. I am leaning toward an African Dwarf. What do you think?

Thanks!

Ming-Ming

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
I have a mini frog that lives in my betta fish aquarium lol.
he's tiny and cute and is completely aquatic.
Not sure about other` frogs though!

tattooedispatcher

Real Name
Terri
awww how cute! what kind is your little guy? I have a 1 gallon tank here that was given to me for christmas so I could get another beta. He died. I have my tank all cleaned out and setting up, filter running, and well I want a frog. I adore frogs so much I have 2 tattoos of frogs and my bathroom is of frogs and my car seat covers have frogs.

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
I actually have no idea. my guess is an african dwarf frog, but the lady at the pet store (which i was not so impressed with... didn't even know what an otocat was...) said it was just a mini aquatic frog!

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
I have a froggy. An albino dwarf aquatic (forget the name of it) froggy. I believe she is a girl and her name is Michael and she is destined to live alone. She hogs all the food and doesn't let anything else eat so we quit giving her tank friends.

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
My frog is in a 5 gallon tank and she is huge! She'd never fit in a one gallon tank. :o:

tattooedispatcher

Real Name
Terri
LOL No thank you, I want a mini froggy. Like I said, I have been reading a lot. Just wanted input from frog owners here. It will be a couple of weeks or before I get him/her.

Calift

Moving in
Make a plan and don't get a frog in just a couple of weeks. I highly recommend you visit and see some in person first.

I've owned reptiles (& amphibians) for many years and can tell you there is a HUGE variety out there in the types now available. One of the major influencing factors on the quality and health of your future frog depends on where it comes from. Local pet shops, chain pet shops, breeders, online breeders, reptile expos are all possible sources....of course, some are MUCH better than others!

Just like when you get a new Fid, first decide what you want in a frog and why you want one in the first place. Do you want an aquatic, terrestrial or aboreal species? What type of habitat would you like it to live in? How much money and time are willing to invest in it's upkeep (some terrariums are easily in the 100's of dollars)? Do you want a pet you can hold? Are you okay with feeding only live insects? Can you provide a stable home for 15 + years?

The reason I am asking so many questions is because frogs are very fragile and susceptible to illness & death when their needs are not properly met. So please keep us updated and make sure not to rush into anything. Once you have decided on some more factors I would be happy to provide you with more information on specific species as well as breeder referrals & related forums/guides/upcoming expos.

Best of luck- frogs are very cool! :) :)

Weirsh Bird

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Aubrey
If you want tiny, but not aquatic, look into poison dart frogs, or "bird poop" frogs. Darts are expensive but beautiful, and the bird poop frogs are less expensive, but not so toxic and more beautiful than they sound. lol

PeaceLoveDreamer

Real Name
Jacqui
It all depends on what you want from the animal. Do you want an aquarium or a terrarium? The frog pictured up top is a dwarf african clawed frog. My friend got 2 of them in this weird self cleaning aquarium (something with the gravel?) and she loved them. I used to keep much bigger frogs, but the thing about bigger frogs is that you need to feed them bigger things. Even the poison darts need to eat fruit flies, which are not always easy to find. Plus, you can't touch the poison darts. The little dwarf african clawed frogs eat pellets I think. Fire bellied toads are a good pet too, and though not frogs, they live in half water half land environment and are gorgeous. I have to say a really cool frog as a pet is a White's tree frog (or if you need smaller, a green tree frog). They live out of water in a sprayed environment, dont eat anything larger than crickets, and can actually be handled. I had a few of them, and theyre cute, especially when theyre sleeping. The males also make this beautiful call at night (which isn't loud, but really pretty). Good luck with your search!

Status
Not open for further replies.