• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Who here has Ducks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

*K*J*B*

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kylee
Who here has ducks as a pet? How much space do they need? What kind of "stuff" is required for them? Do yours live indoors or out? Are they loud, mean, nice, snuggly, hands on, hands off... etc... anything you can think of that would be helpful.

NO I am NOT getting a duck right now. :D My 13 year old daughter absolutely loves them though and badly wants one. I am considering allowing it when we move (next 6 months or so.)

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I have a pair of Muscovy hens, they are quiet and live outside

Muscovies are from South America and are known as the "Perching Duck" because they, unlike the Mallard based varieties, roost in trees

They also do not quack like the Mallard breeds, just make soft cooing and hissing noises

I had an acquaintance once that had a Mallard drake as a house pet, he wore diapers while inside

jeanna

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I remember having a couple of ducklings when I was little who lived inside in a box. I think they died because I remember my parents telling me they were old enough to go to a farm. I also remember having an adult duck live in my bathroom for a few months when I was little. I think someone shot it and my dad decided to let it heal in our house. I do remember setting her free though! That was so great! Umm... I probably didn't help at all. But I probably wouldn't keep it inside unless it can be potty trained or something. Duck poop is huge!

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
We have 2 pet ducks, a Indian Runner that we got about 2 years ago named Daisy. We got both of our ducks as babies from a local feed store in March/April. Then the other duck is a khaki campbell, and they both live outside. They wander around with the chickens and they eat bugs, worms, etc, they like to forage in water and mud a lot. Whenever it rains they have a blast playing in the water and rain.

They stay around the chicken coop with the chickens and do not wander. The breeds that we have are not very good fliers so they don't fly very often at all and when they do they only get a few inches off the ground. They also love scratch grain like chickens. They have to have their drinking water changed a few times a day because they filter everything they eat and it makes the water get dirty fast. Our ducks aren't that loud, and Daisy loves to be petted/picked up, cuddled. Indian Runners are a good breed to get if you were to get a duck, they are very laid back usually. Bella (the other duck) is not as tame because we got her a little older than we got Daisy. If you have any more questions just ask!:)

Last edited:

Carmenellie

Avenue Veteran
My little sister has one of those big white ducks. The name is Nadine, though we recently found out Nadine is a boy! lol. Ducks needs space and time outdoors in a safe environment to wander and forage. It is important to their health that they bath at least once a day. They clean out their nasals with water, and it's good for their feathers besides. Nadine has a pool of his own that's always available.

Ducks will take on the personality of their bonded. They are also very cuddly when their young, but seem to go from cuddly to mischevious as they reach adulthood. I showed my little sister how to put the baby duck on her shoulder in her hood, and apparently he liked it so much at even when he was too big, he would stick his head in her hood and try to climb in. XD

He eats the chicken feed, grain that the horses drop, tender shoots of grass, and bugs.

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
When I lived in GA there was a couple that would board their crested duck at the vet clinic I worked at. She lived outside at their house and was so human friendly they were afraid someone might harm her or steal her while they were on vacation. They brought her swimming pool which we put outside in the fenced in backyard and she slept in one of the big dog kennels inside. We loved it when Bertha came because it meant we got to spend hours outside playing with her. :D She was messy to clean up after inside but tons of fun and occasionally she would thank us by laying an egg. :)

*K*J*B*

Real Name
Kylee
You all have given wonderful advice so far. Duck will absolutely live outdoor! So, how do you keep them warm in the winter and cool in the summer? I live in KS so the winter temps usually drop to about 10* for a few weeks and in the summer reach about 110* for a few weeks.

Carmenellie

Avenue Veteran
The coop has heat lamps 24/7, and their water is all heated, so they drink warm water in the winter. Shade and a swimming pool will keep them cool in the summer.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
it doesn't usually get as cold here as where you are - mine have their own pond to swim in, a roofed, walled shelter to stay in that is heated in the winter as needed

they roost in there with the chickens and goat ;)

Carmenellie

Avenue Veteran
We usually hit -20 on a warm year, -30 on a cold year, so keeping all the animals warm is paramount. Having warm water to drink at all times seems to improve their ability to stay warm and keep weight on. (Dogs, cows, horses, chickens, rabbits, duck)

If your area gets really cold, having a small enclosed space with a source of heat (preferably off the ground.) helps a lot too. Our coop is built into a small section of the barn, it is raised almost two feet off the ground, with wood floor that is often covered in straw. The are stairs to a human sized access door (solid, to keep the draft out) and a ramp to a bird sized access door. It's really nice and cozy.

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
I'm not sure, but I wonder is there a special food to offer before winter so they can "fatten up?" And maybe load of hay they can snuggle up in. A wooden dog house might make a nice winter shelter. One that's longer than wide with a door on one end so they can go to the other end to be out of the wind. (not an igloo type dog house)They have such sweet silly personalities, a friend of mine has a pair of Pekings and a Chinese white goose. They'll follow you around the yard...the waddle gets me every time! :lol: Your daughter won't be sorry! :)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I used to have a duck, but she died because of an accident.

I got her when she was only tiny from a pet store I went to nearly every day. When she was a bit older we built her a little "duck house" in the backyard, as well as put a fence around it, (backyard was fully fenced really well) and she got the whole backyard to herself - she was so spoiled! I remember going to check to see if there was any eggs and she would always follow me around, it was so cute.. I miss having a duck. She would also chase my brother around the backyard if HE took her eggs sometimes, she only done it to him, lol.

I would love to get a few more ducks one day!

Carmenellie

Avenue Veteran
I'm not sure, but I wonder is there a special food to offer before winter so they can "fatten up?" And maybe load of hay they can snuggle up in. A wooden dog house might make a nice winter shelter. One that's longer than wide with a door on one end so they can go to the other end to be out of the wind. (not an igloo type dog house)They have such sweet silly personalities, a friend of mine has a pair of Pekings and a Chinese white goose. They'll follow you around the yard...the waddle gets me every time! :lol: Your daughter won't be sorry! :)
We give our chickens and ducks scraps, including veggies, fruits, fish, pasta, potatoes, breads, and eggs. (Many people don't want to give the birds eggs cause it can encourage them to eat their own eggs- we get 2 dozen a day so we encourage them to get eaten! XD) All those foods make them nice and fat and sleek and shiny.

MollyMouse

I love Ducks they are so cute, we had geese when I was young and one fell in love with a sheep of ours and followed it everywhere!! Does anyone have any pics of their duckies!!

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
I used to have several muscovies but something got them. Now we just have one drake left. We call him Jackson. Miss the others because the whole group was awesome at keeping the ticks down.

He's not overly cuddly, but will follow us around the yard. He free ranges for his food, but LOVES dog food which we give him as a treat sometimes. He also does a great job of cleaning up the horse feed that is dropped.

Nice thing about Muscovies is that they aren't water based ducks like mallards or pekins are and do quite well without a pool to swim in. In fact they can get water logged pretty quickly in water - we had a female that used to get into a swimming pool and get water logged and needed rescuing. We do provide a kiddie wading pool during the summer and Jackson just loves it.

He isn't aggressive and gets along with our chickens, dogs, and cats.

Here are a few pics:

*K*J*B*

Real Name
Kylee
He is absolutely beautiful, Jessie! I don't believe I've seen one like him.

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
If I had a pond I think having a pair of ducks would be so neat.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
We ended up with ducks when I encountered two "free" ducks in a feed store in suburban St. Louis last summer. They had been "Easter ducklings" and then the family realized what full grown ducks do to a yard; I took them because I was afraid they would end up as someone's dinner. We threw up a quick temporary fence for them, and they spent nights in a playpen in the kitchen until we built them what we thought was a secure house. (Double walls and floor, with insulation, double paned windows, with wire reinforcement, next to our bedroom wall, for additional security.) We always plan our schedules so one of us is home before dusk, to secure the ducks and the chickens in their houses. Then, during a cold spell this winter, when we weren't letting them out, I went to check on them one evening and found Dumpling without a head and Dagwood with awful head and neck injuries. After researching feverishly on the internet, I concluded it had to have been a weasel. If I pulled really hard at the door (which is double latched), I could just barely stick my fingers under, up and in. Apparently, that is enough for a weasel. We immediately clad our chicken house in 1/2" hardware cloth to weasel proof it.

Dagwood was clinging to life so precariously that I was afraid to take him to the vet for a week - I thought the trip would likely kill him. Fortunately, I always keep a stock of antibiotics, anti inflammatories, and pain relievers for various species on hand. I put him in the bathtub 3-4 times a day, force fed him, and treated his injuries. At the end of a week, I thought he would survive a visit to the vet; the vet was amazed that he was alive, with the injuries he had. Well, we continued with that regimen for a couple of months, with Dagwood living in the pantry. He refused to start eating on his own; he had to be hand fed. He had limited mobility in his neck because of his injuries, and when he was strong enough, we decided to get hi a companion duck, in the hope that the companionship would help him emotionally and interacting physically would be good rehabilitation for him.

My SO mentioned it to a woman from work, and she had her brother hold back two females from a flock he was selling to a Chinese restaurant in Chicago. We had intended to only get one duck, but knowing their fate otherwise, we bought both girls. The introduction went well, and almost on a daily basis, we saw Dagwood regaining more and more mobility. Now, you would not be able to tell by looking at him that he had ever suffered trauma.

This summer, we built them a pond, to replace their kiddie pool. The absolute joy when they first went in the pond brought tears to my eyes.

They are extremely vulnerable to predators, so you really do have to plan your schedule to keep them secure at night - raccoons, foxes and other predators can climb even high fences, and there's no fence that can keep a weasel out.

Last edited:

Carmenellie

Avenue Veteran
We lost an entire flock of chickens (almost 20 of them) to weasels in the span of a few days, some years back. They had holes burrowed into their necks and were eaten from the inside out. 0.0 It was like a horror movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.