• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Who has this type of service in their area? Community Supported Agriculture

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We have this service here in Mtl where we can pay local farmers to drop off baskets of fresh produce and fruits, picked and harvested the same day to our neighborhood. The drop off would be on a weekly basis and in advance we let them know what kinds of items we want, Organic too! I'm signing up and I am so excited to receive these goody baskets. There's also the option to receive eggs, flours, oils, etc. I love supporting local farmers and receiving fruits and vegetables at their freshest. :cheer: I believe this initiative will also be very educational and help us to be more aware of what's available locally.:)

Here's a bit of info about it. radicalmontreal: Montreal CSA's (Community Supported Agriculture)

animallover

Jogging around the block
Your lucky very cool. Wish we had that here.........imagine fresh fruits and veggies for the fids. :dance4:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
that's awesome!:dance4::dance4::dance4:
I just did bird groceries -- 99% produce in my cart. Guess I get all the staples online from Avian Organics and such.:)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I just looked, and it seems that where I am moving to at the end of the month does have several of these options :) I am going to have to look into them, because it would be amazing!

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
In our little town of 1,000 peeps, we have a co-op you can belong to and share in local farmers produce, all organic too. It's very nicely done, but its still hard to get away from the markets 100%. But it's a start!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
They have it here too. My boss was getting it last year. I was going to sign up but they wouldn't substitute the eggs and it wasn't going to be worth it for me alone. I do love the idea though!

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Yes, I have an organic box delivered to my door weekly. It is usually 2/3 to 3/4 veggies and the rest is fruit. There is also the option of adding eggs and/or flowers. I belonged to a different service for a while but was dissatisfied with the quality and variety. And I had to pick it up. My new service has much nicer produce & they deliver. And I don't have to opt out if I'm out of town or overstocked. I get an e mail on Tuesday telling me what's in the box. I have till 9 pm on Thursday to order for delivery on Friday. I order on line. It costs $23 for the basic, and $4.50 extra each for eggs or flowers. Yesterday I got 2 big boxes of strawberries , peaches, fresh onions w/ the tops still on (like ginormous green onions), beets w/ tops, carrots w/ tops, cucumbers, zucchini, spring mix lettuce, and bell peppers. The strawberries are so sweet no sugar is necessary. I highly recommend you search your local area for similar services!

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
They have that here also they are called CSA's Community Supported Agriculture Some you get to pick what you want and others you just buy a "share" and you get what ever is in season at the time and you get our "share" of it. Most deliver to specific sites where you go to pick it up or you can go to the farm and pick it up your self. Some you go to the farm and you get to pick out so much stuff and you can mix and match what you want for your share. Here is one that is not to far from my house. Open Hands Farm | Community Supported Agriculture Some do also offer "drop ins" for people who do not want to buy a "share" on a weekly basis. There are both regular and organic farms in the program and also farms that raise cows, chickens, sheep geese etc that sell the meat and eggs

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
You can also google organic produce. That's how I found my current service, which is not in the CSA system. The one I didn't like was a CSA service. My sister uses a CSA and likes hers. They do vary in quality...as do many things in life. :lol:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Farmers Stand every two weeks at the boro square.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I was looking at those available here late in the Spring and I figured, for this year, I'd stick to my weekly foray to the farmer's market. I get to encourage a few farmers that way and get what I want :)