• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Who doesn't love a Taco?!

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sweet Taco has been doing great today! He's been chowing down on his fruits and veg, which I'm supremely happy about! I was worried he'd refuse them after at least 12 years of eating nothing but bird seed and peanuts, but he's ALL over fresh produce! I'm super proud of him.

He's still incredibly reluctant to come down from the top of his cage, but I'm not pushing him. He deserves to be able to make his own choices and go at his own pace for once. He's taking food from my hands, and that's more than good enough for now.
:cheer:

20180519_215207.jpg 20180520_141812.jpg

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
If he's willing to take food from your hands he's already building a trust account with you. He'll work his way from there on his schedule but if he's already to that point I bet it wont be long and you'll be best buds.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Look at his face today compared to yesterday. I see light and hope there today.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If he's willing to take food from your hands he's already building a trust account with you. He'll work his way from there on his schedule but if he's already to that point I bet it wont be long and you'll be best buds.
Wowee, I figured he'd gradually warm up to me and one day in years to come he'd have the courage to step up, but I wasn't expecting it to be THIS fast!

20180520_155628.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Well done to both of you! What a great start

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Wowee, I figured he'd gradually warm up to me and one day in years to come he'd have the courage to step up, but I wasn't expecting it to be THIS fast!

View attachment 277318

He knows he is home now. He knows that his person is a good person who loves him and will give him the world.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Sweet Taco has been doing great today! He's been chowing down on his fruits and veg, which I'm supremely happy about! I was worried he'd refuse them after at least 12 years of eating nothing but bird seed and peanuts, but he's ALL over fresh produce! I'm super proud of him.

He's still incredibly reluctant to come down from the top of his cage, but I'm not pushing him. He deserves to be able to make his own choices and go at his own pace for once. He's taking food from my hands, and that's more than good enough for now.
:cheer:

View attachment 277314 View attachment 277315

What a happy face on that boy! :swoon: His poor body is probably craving all of the nutrients he's been lacking!

Our macaw likes to sleep on his playstand now instead of in his cage. We only cage him when we have to leave. The easiest way is to drop a nut in his food bowl & close the door behind him when he goes in to get it. He doesn't mind because now he has a snack & we always let him out as soon as we get home. And if he finishes it before we're out the door we give him another treat as we're leaving to make it a positive thing so he doesn't scream. ;)

Lucky Taco has a flat-top cage. You could build some kind of play area right on top or throw a few toys up there. We made a playstand because Buzz's is a dome top & he had nowhere to hang out other than a perch on the top, front of his cage.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
View attachment 277318
:faint: That's so amazing! How long has it been since this sweetheart of a bird had any positive human contact? He's a doll and I applaud you for being brave enough to try as well! Gosh, animals are just truly amazing. :xflove:

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
How wonderful! Thank God for you! I'd like to put his former owners in the same situation they put him in... what's wrong with people? I'll never understand it, if I lived to be a million years old.

Long and happy life to you both!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He deserves to be able to make his own choices and go at his own pace for once.
And that will make you best friends for life!♥
I crying when reading the last two updates, of joy. :)
and in the morning he'll discover that in this home, nobody lives their life in a cage.
It is only one thing that I think is sad, and that is that I can't feel what he feels in the morning when you let him out again.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You are AWESOME!!!

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Thank you for rescuing him! He already looks so much happier! :)

View attachment 277318

Yay! :heart: That is wonderful!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Thank you for taking this guy into your heart and home. So many times with the neglected/abused rescues they at one time had a good loving home and that even makes their situation sadder.

I hope you take him to the vet really soon and get the "loud" breathing checked out.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking this guy into your heart and home. So many times with the neglected/abused rescues they at one time had a good loving home and that even makes their situation sadder.

I hope you take him to the vet really soon and get the "loud" breathing checked out.
A nice, steamy hour in the washroom with the shower running cleared up his loud breathing problem (poor fella probably hasn't had a shower in years, his sinuses must have been hell), but he's definitely going to the vet ASAP. Who knows what's going on inside of him after living in such terrible conditions for so long.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
He’s gorgeous! Thank you for saving him!