• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Who cracks the shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
This has been a problem from day one

mango loves his nuts in shells , i love him but afraid if he learns to open them he will relise he can bite,,lol ok stuped i know, and yes he chewes wood,,lol

no truth is some hes able to open but i find if i start it i dont have waste and he loves working to get the nut out .

I also noticed the amount they realy eat from each nut
is about 1/4 the rest falls out of there mouth,,lol oh what a waste of money..lol and the clean up is ,,lol

so do your birds open the shell or do you start it , and i do not feed peanuts

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Amazons sure do love almonds in the shell. Yes, a certain amount of waste, but that's expected:)
Pistachios in the shell, although not nearly the challenge for an amazon as in-shell almonds are - seem to not be wasted. Easier for them to get at every morsel of the nutmeats:)

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
amazons sure do love almonds in the shell. Yes, a certain amount of waste, but that's expected:)
pistachios in the shell, although not nearly the challenge for an amazon as in-shell almonds are - seem to not be wasted. Easier for them to get at every morsel of the nutmeats:)
oh the waste dosent bother me it means he can have more nuts,,lol i dont have to say you have had to many,,lol as i only give him the hard ones to eat .

Chicklette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Courtney
Aly LOVES them. I crack it a bit for her to get it started. Yes, lots of waste but she has a good time.

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
It took Danny 2 years before he worked out, or had the beak strength, that he could open them on his own. It has in no way affected his biting - Try not to treat them like dumbies Doll, they can quite easily tell the difference in textures between most things, fingers and nuts included.. :hehe:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Macs really enjoy cracking nuts--nature built their heads as big ole nutcrackers. No way I'd stand between nature and her purpose like that. :) So, they get all kinds of hard shelled nuts to crack.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
it took danny 2 years before he worked out, or had the beak strength, that he could open them on his own. It has in no way affected his biting - try not to treat them like dumbies doll, they can quite easily tell the difference in textures between most things, fingers and nuts included.. :hehe:
ha ha stevo your funny , mango has never been treated like a dummy heck i wish at times they didnt have the smarts,,lol
he can open the odd one by him self but gets frustrated when he cant , so i just get it started or try to heck some i cant open,,lool

i bought about $50.00 worth of mixed in jan when there was plenty as i was spending $30,00 a month from aug last yr
at a nut store , wish i had of had room to store more cause these are not going to last till dec,,,lol

his bites are more like pinches but it does break my skin cause its so thin and most times its in playing

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
I know what you mean about hard nuts Doll, I recently bought a new bag of almonds and then wondered for a while why it seemed that Danny had gone off them - I had a closer look at the almonds and they're not ripe enough and are harder than anything i've ever come across to crack - I couldnt even open them with a proper nut-cracker! Like rocks they were!

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Mine all shell their own, but when they were babies I would start them for them. One hit with a hammer and they can see what's inside. Now I don't need to do that. The macaws especially looovvee to crack them, but they can do it with ease. I know what you mean Doll about the waste, I try to just sweep it up and pretend I don't see it! lol.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
mine all shell their own, but when they were babies i would start them for them. One hit with a hammer and they can see what's inside. Now i don't need to do that. The macaws especially looovvee to crack them, but they can do it with ease. I know what you mean doll about the waste, i try to just sweep it up and pretend i don't see it! Lol.

no the waste doesnt bother me , now if no waste id have to control i beleave the amount of nuts i give , and that would take a way his fun,,lol i dont look at the waste as how much its costing , i look at it as oh heck he can have more ,,lol
now he wont eat a nut thats shelled that he just tosses it to the floor ,

now you have me wondering how many are to much , also how can i get him to open them on his owni do always leave some not started but these are either tossed on floor or just left

Coco's Momma

Real Name
Robin
Coco has a very, very, very short attention span. And if she doesn't get rewarded by a bite of nut fairly quickly, she gets frustrated and throws or drops the nut. So in the harder nuts such as walnuts, pecans and the like, I make a starter crack with a nut cracker. Anything smaller than that, she can handle on her own. ;) I had to actually teach her that there was a nut inside of certain types of nuts, and I still think she chews and swallows shell parts something! lol!

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Oh I forgot about that, it has been awhile. Doll, maybe you need to crack it and have him watch you. I had to show Luca, by cracking it in front of him and pretending to eat some of it, and making a huge deal of how good it was. He couldn't stand it, he had to try, but his beak had to be strong enough to crack it.

Status
Not open for further replies.