• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

White things

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Those are "pin feathers" - feathers that have grown in and are still in the keratin sheath :)

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
New feathers!

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I had hoped when I clicked on the pictures that it would have been the start of horns like on @Mizzely 's avatar... Your bird is a beautiful shade of yellow!
When pin feathers come in, isn't there a way of helping to get rid of the sheath--I think I heard they can be bothersome to the bird if they can't preen them away? I have never seen pin feathers on Louise (yet).

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I had hoped when I clicked on the pictures that it would have been the start of horns like on @Mizzely 's avatar... Your bird is a beautiful shade of yellow!
When pin feathers come in, isn't there a way of helping to get rid of the sheath--I think I heard they can be bothersome to the bird if they can't preen them away? I have never seen pin feathers on Louise (yet).

:lol:

Yes, if your bird allows you to, you can kinda put the pin feather between your finger and thumb and slightly scratch at it to help it come off. If it's still growing your bird will usually tell you pretty quickly! :lol:

You can also give them a nice bath to help, too :)

Kiwithebird

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the replies. I would love to help her but unfortunately she won’t let me touch her. I will try a bath though.

KatMug

Meeting neighbors
If she does let you, make sure not to try to preen of the "wax" covering to fast because it can hurt your bird. Also (this probs won't happen) watch out for blood feathers!