• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

White Necked Raven

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Working at an exotic bird store we see a lot of different things come through the door. The majority of what we interact with is hookbills, anything from large macaws to tiny lovebirds. We sometimes get turkeys and chickens that come in for grooming, and we have a tucan that boards with us once in a while. Today I got to help groom a raven. He's a hybrid between a white-necked raven and a pied crow. He looks a little worked over because he was wrapped in a towel while he had his nails done. Normally I have to be wary of taking a macaw out of the cage for grooming because you never know if they are going to bite you are not. I always presume I'm going to be at the very least a nip, or sometimes I expect that I'm going to bleed. Usually, it's a good pinch before they realize I'm not afraid of them and they step up so we can get on with it. For this guy, I wasn't worried that he was going to bite me, but he got a few good pinches and pokes in before he decided to step up and come with me. Once the grooming was done he was fine and just stood on my arm while I took him back to the cage.

Corvid.jpg

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
He is stunning!!!!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Working at an exotic bird store we see a lot of different things come through the door. The majority of what we interact with is hookbills, anything from large macaws to tiny lovebirds. We sometimes get turkeys and chickens that come in for grooming, and we have a tucan that boards with us once in a while. Today I got to help groom a raven. He's a hybrid between a white-necked raven and a pied crow. He looks a little worked over because he was wrapped in a towel while he had his nails done. Normally I have to be wary of taking a macaw out of the cage for grooming because you never know if they are going to bite you are not. I always presume I'm going to be at the very least a nip, or sometimes I expect that I'm going to bleed. Usually, it's a good pinch before they realize I'm not afraid of them and they step up so we can get on with it. For this guy, I wasn't worried that he was going to bite me, but he got a few good pinches and pokes in before he decided to step up and come with me. Once the grooming was done he was fine and just stood on my arm while I took him back to the cage.

View attachment 432636
Gorgeous… and an awesome beak that does deserve some respect!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
He is such a big bird when you see him in relation to your arm.
I've never seen a pic that puts their size into perspective.
Very impressive!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Wow, such an impressive guy. He's gorgeous.
I used to love watching the ravens when I lived in Nevada, now in PA it's only crows.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! He's absolutely gorgeous! What a treat it must have been to get to experience him. Thanks for sharing the moment with us :heart:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That must have been an amazing experience! I’ve never been that close to any corvids before.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How freaking cool!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Beautiful bird.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The owners say he's an amazing pet. They waited years to get him but it was worth it. He does seem a little high strung but he calms down when we talk to him. I think they said he's around a year old so he might get a little bigger before he's fully grown.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
He is gorgeous. You have a great job!!! :)

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Beautiful :cool: