• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

White bellied Caique.

Kellie567

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kellie
hi
I am new to this site. I am currently looking for a white bellied caique. I was just wondering if anyone had a good breeder they could recommend I am in Elkhart Indiana doesn't seem to be any very close to me.

Any tips or suggestions I would very much appreciate I currently have a green cheek conure. She has about a year and a half. Will these birds get along? Will they be jealous of each other?

If there are any caique owners that want to tell me about their birds and personalities I would love to hear it thank you very much!

Kellie

Kiko&Mango

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Tyler
Welcome Kellie! We just got our two WBCs and they are still ~8-10 weeks old. I'm not really sure what sort of research you've done on these birds but in the few weeks we've had them, they're just about everything we read about. Mango has discovered a love of hanging upside down, Kiko loves to scream when she can't see her sister, and both love to explore. In general, they're very curious - they've met several different people already with no issues, explored just about every part of their home, and inspected every inch of their cage. They have been an absolute joy, but they are a handful. They require time, attention, and supervision! I've read a lot about how they can be bird aggressive but we don't have any other birds so I can't really verify that.

In terms of choosing a breeder, I would strongly recommend meeting them before buying. We live in NC and don't really have any breeders very close so we went with one we found online, and I'll just say we didn't have the best experience.

The past several weeks with them have been exhausting, challenging, but so worth it. They are two absolute bundles of joy that have brought much joy into our everyday lives. I would just caution that you read about them and get as good of an understanding as you can because as with any pet, they are a long term commitment. We highly recommend them, and getting a pair is really the best thing.

We would be happy to answer specific questions, but we're still pretty new to this! Good luck!

Kellie567

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kellie
Hello Kiko & Mango's parent!

Thank you so much for your reply. I have been reading and researching the caiques. Your response did help!

I really want one but will take my time in choosing the right breeder and bird. I did drive quite a ways yesterday to see three babies at a nice small store that breeds and Handfeeds their own birds. The birds were 8 weeks and they told me won't be weaned until the bird lets them know they are ready and that could be another 8 weeks. I respect that and am not ready financially yet anyway.

I know I can find one much cheaper but I also know cheaper isn't always better. Also saw a caique available for adoption. My green cheeked pineapple conure was adopted and I had the Best experience.

I am excited about having a caique they just look like such fun. I do hear they are a handful and can be quite stubborn.

Congratulations on your new babies! I am surprised you were able to buy at such a young age?

Kellie