• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

White-based budgie x yellow-based budgie cannot produce white-based budgie?

Comet

Strolling the yard
From what I've read and understood, breeding a white-based (blue) budgie and a yellow-based (green) budgie can only produce yellow-based chicks due to the dominance of the gene that causes yellow/green colouring. I've also seen that a lutino female will not produce a lutino chick unless she is paired with lutino/lutino split male, and that her genes will simply act as if she were a green budgie when bred to a blue.

My pair are a lutino hen and a light blue cock with pale grey wings that often appear white (dilute?), and I am wondering about the possible colour mutations of their offspring. I just set up the breeding cage this evening :swoon:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Guessing but the female should pass the latino gene...gosh I'm thinking since its sex linked the males will be green but females could be lutino???

@Monica is the expert!

Comet

Strolling the yard
That would be interesting. The male also might be pied. He has a small white patch on the back of his head with no grey striping.

Comet

Strolling the yard
Here are a few photos of the pair, Comet (blue) and Sekhmet (yellow), and their cage. I'm also curious about whether his dilution could affect the chicks, or if it wouldn't be a dominant enough gene with her as his mate...

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
From what I've read and understood, breeding a white-based (blue) budgie and a yellow-based (green) budgie can only produce yellow-based chicks due to the dominance of the gene that causes yellow/green colouring.
Correct, to a degree! If the green based budgie is split blue, and is paired to another split blue or a visual blue, then blue offspring are possible.

I've also seen that a lutino female will not produce a lutino chick unless she is paired with lutino/lutino split male, and that her genes will simply act as if she were a green budgie when bred to a blue.
True. If hen is a visual lutino and male is not, then male offspring will be split Ino and could product Ino chicks in future offspring.

Male appears he may be part violet as well. Do you have any additional photos of him, including his back?

Are they on a healthy diet that includes fresh foods? Possibly even pellets?

@PoukieBear also has a lot of knowledge in this department :)

Last edited:

Comet

Strolling the yard
The blue on Comet's body was more washed out when he was a juvenile. It brightened right up after his first moult! He looks very white when his back is turned. I also have an albino female, and frequently confused them when they were in the flight cage together. :laugh:
Him being a dilute - if I have the right mutation in mind - probably won't affect any offspring either, correct? So I will likely be looking forward to 100% greens unless she is split for blue?

They have a cuttlebone, mineral block, and iodine block in their cage. They're being fed a vitamin/mineral sprayed seed mix, though I know there are shortcomings to that as they don't actually eat the seed shells, and they are being fed fresh veggies and/or sprouts every day. I just gave them some Alfalfa sprouts this morning :)

I have fed them pellets before (not currently), but I do have mixed feelings about them, the primary one being that the first ingredient in any pellets I can find near me is corn. Nothing against the ingredient, I have just read and heard from multiple sources that too much of it isn't a good thing, so I am a little wary of any manufacturer that would place corn that high on the ingredients list of a food that is intended to be the birds' staple diet. ZuPreem is the brand of pellets most readily available here. I have, however, heard good things about the company, both on this forum and elsewhere, so I would be open to adding a small amount of pellets to their daily diet, if it is strongly advised.

Thank you! :budgie2::budgie6:

Attachments