• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Whiffle Ball Foraging Toy

Status
Not open for further replies.

f3ath3rs2

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Audra
I had this elsewhere...
Posting it for use here!
I did this for monster and loved it for multiple reasons, it was a good foraging toy, and a good foot toy for her. I also was able to use cheap materials (used whiffle ball, paper towel).

1. quarter a full sheet of paper towel (or half a half-sheet)
2. stick treats large enough to go into the wiffle ball holes but be a close fit into the middle of the paper towel - if there are multiple treats stack on top of eachother (harrisons coarse pellets worked perfect!)
3. twist the papertowel to make a small enough part to fit into a hole and stick it into one of the wiffle ball holes
4. fan out the papertowel
5. fill as many or all of the holes of the wiffle ball and enjoy!

you could also put treats in the middle after you fill about half of the holes (so they don't fall out the bottom). This works best as a foot toy etc (not hanging) because sometimes the treats break out of the papertowel and fall through the other side.

Why we (monster and I) love it: it's a good foraging toy and takes some good thinking skills at first, it also is a good foot toy (monster doesn't like her foot toys much), and it's good for shredding and making a disaster!

I don't know how good it is for small birds... we only have a macaw size wiffle ball and none of our smaller birds like foraging "toys" so much (more just the eating part)

Attachments

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I will need to try that thanks for sharing

Sarin

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
This would be a perfect way to teach Koba how to start foraging.. Thanks!

TikisMom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
Hey I just made something like this thanks for the idea to put treats in the papers!

f3ath3rs2

Real Name
Audra
Hey I just made something like this thanks for the idea to put treats in the papers!
I think I saw your thread, which reminded me to post my thread! Yours had the newspaper in the orange rubber foraging toy right (couldn't remember the name of the toy lol)? I never thought about that either, I have the shredded paper stuffed in my toy with seeds etc stuffed in the paper... I'll have to try the newspaper next round!

TikisMom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
It's a wiffleball with newspaper, qtips, pasta noodles, and Popsicle sticks :p

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I love the wiffle balls, we buy 3 packs at meigers for $1.29 I hang them with cotton rope and fill them with popcorn, a few peanuts, and paper for Tiki. I usually hang all 3 in the cage a day ..she can shred one in minutes now. LOL. Paper is better than feathers though. hahahaha.

identicaltriplets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patter
I make the same little "treat twists" but I use newspaper instead of papertowels. I hid them around her cage--in chains, toys, a stainless steel bowl filled with goodies, etc. Kiwi LOVES hunting and finding them. She finds them all SO fast each day. She would love a wiffle ball full too. Thanks! Now to buy some wiffle balls. :)

f3ath3rs2

Real Name
Audra
I love the wiffle balls, we buy 3 packs at meigers for $1.29 I hang them with cotton rope and fill them with popcorn, a few peanuts, and paper for Tiki. I usually hang all 3 in the cage a day ..she can shred one in minutes now. LOL. Paper is better than feathers though. hahahaha.
Just a head's up, if you have a dollar tree, sometimes you can find a pack of 5 for $1!! That's where I stock up but 3 for $1.29 isn't bad either.

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
Those pics are great! Definitely having a blast. I wonder if colored paper would work too?

f3ath3rs2

Real Name
Audra
Those pics are great! Definitely having a blast. I wonder if colored paper would work too?
I think it would depend on the dye/ink used for the colored paper, otherwise I be it'd be fine. You could also dye white paper with food coloring and let it dry if you REALLY wanted to lol

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
I have a version of that I do for my fiddies. Stuff the ball with shredded paper (paper shredder style) and stuff the treat or toys inside a wad of paper inside. stuff more shreds around it with a few poking out the holes.

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Dollar Tree is my friend! I just got two of the 5 packs last weekend. I tried the very same thing but used coffee filters :)

Status
Not open for further replies.