• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which dog breed would you want the most below

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am pretty sure many homes that have birds and dogs are able to do so harmoniously as long as birds and dogs are not out together :) I wouldn't worry..
I've just heard too many tragic stories.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
THERE ARE ALWAYS MANY TRAGIC STORIES IN LIFE BUT SO MANY HAPPYONES TO. LOOK AROUND AA HOW MANY HAVE BOTH DOGS & CATS PLUSS MANY BIRDS

CAUTION TRAINING BOTH HUMAN AND PETS MAKE THINGS WORK ,

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
A would choose a rescue dog who captured my heart. The most common denominator about the dogs in my life is that most of them have been black. I've had many combinations of breeds, and they have all been awesome dogs.

I have had 9 dogs in my house since I've had birds. If dogs are trained properly and birds are supervised, there is no reason you can't have both at the same time. You need to take the risks seriously, though. I think the only breed I personally wouldn't trust around a dog would be a JRT. I know they are highly trainable, but those that I know have a prey drive that is very strong. I guess I'd be cautious of sight hounds as well (greyhounds), but that is again from personal experience where a really sweet greyhound was absolutely deadly around running cats.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I understand. :sadhug2:
It's so hard to see again and again, birds killed by dogs. It breaks my heart every single time and it seems to have been happening a lot lately.
I try not to judge, because tragic accidents happen to be best of us and so many people are not given the chance to make single mistake... but the cynical part of me reminds me every single one of those deaths were preventable somehow. Maybe only with hindsight.

I look at it this way; our homes have lots of hazards we cannot help but to have. Clear windows, doors leading outside, hot appliances, toxic cleaners, an open toilet... all these things we have to consider when keeping birds, and make safe. How many little birds just get sat on by their owners? :(
Dogs just add another hazard to that list, one we have to adapt to. 13 of the 15 years I've had Peanut I've had dogs and I've kept her safe by keeping them separate. Just like any other home needing to make sure doors leading outside are safe and the lid to the toilet is down or the door closed, I have to make sure there is at least one closed door between dogs and Peanut at all times (or a baby gate and bird net on the coldest days.)

As for Lauren's question, I agree most strongly with Julie's post. All those breeds are so different, what are you looking for in a dog? What is your lifestyle? That is so much more important than how the dog looks.
I will say though, I recommend avoiding pugs and looking into similarly tempered small breeds. What breeders have done to their health is just abhorrent, they are one of the most unhealthy breeds and most pugs have severe health issues. Not just their smashed skulls but their twisted, stocky bodies cause a lot of bone, spine, and even digestive problems.
A lot of purebreds have issues though, because as long as the dog looks like the books say they are supposed to, who cares if it's life is filled suffering and pain? (And mutts aren't free of problems either, if the parents are unhealthy a mutt pup can inherit issues too.)

I'm personally very lazy and hate being forced out into the cold all winter for long walks. It works now that my dogs are both seniors but I have no idea what I was thinking when I adopted a puppy who was abandoned by a working sled dog kennel. Never doing that again! Though for the first 8 or so years of Shadow's life I was probably a healthier person due too all the forced exercise. :D

Kaliska

Strolling the yard
Husky. I dislike the other breeds. I might consider a shiba if I had to choose between any of the rest of the breeds but shibas are stubborn, psycho killers. One of the hardest breeds to train for anything and they will do everything possible to kill anything they come across. Even with very careful training the shiba is our only dog I do not let in the same room as a smaller animal and I've had to get after her about the kittens a few times. I worry about the kittens being around her. My akita won't touch anything that doesn't try to harm her pack and the husky is learning smaller animals belong here but she's still young and boingy so the risk of accidental injury/death is somewhat high. Huskies are high energy but amazingly easy to train compared to a shiba. Even a slightly smaller dog shibas can torture mercilessly. I had a foster border collie x terrier that the shiba bit across the hindquarters until the dog finally decided to stand her ground and snap back. If it won't face down the shiba it's going to be terrorized. My akita keeps her in line and the husky ignores her threats and dominance displays so she doesn't get away with harassing them.

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Late... But definitely a Pom hope to be getting one myself soon

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Greyhound

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
So eventually when we get a house (prob in a few years, we live in a apartment now), we are able to get a dog or two. My fiancee already has his choice from the dogs he likes. But out of these which breed do you prefer and why? Also after choosing, what breeds do you particularly like? Should I get a dog breed that I also never had before? I've always wanted pugs but my parents have had two growing up but can't help but love them!!

1. Black/White Husky
2. Black Shiba Inu
3. Blonde Pomeranian
4. fawn or black pug
5. white golden retriever

I'm so undecided !! ;o; They are all so cute! T_T
I'm late, but here's just MY opinion (with some experience) on these breeds...
  1. Husky
    • These dogs are NOT biddable and NOT i'll do it! i'll do it! They are very headstrong and stubborn. There should be some mutual love going around in training. It's not just command, treat, done. Also, they were literally bred to run for MILES to run across Siberia. Sibera, people. It's just a very big plot of freaking snow in negative temperatures. These dogs need a job, or strenuous exercise to keep themselves in check. Not just physical, but mental stimulation is A MUST.You really need an hour a day (at the minimum and this is HARD exercise), more is definitely preferred, to own such an energetic dog.
  2. Shiba Inu
    • Like I said, Shibas are not simply going to be like a herding dog who will listen to your every word because he loves you. This is an independent and bold spirit who is reserved with strangers while loving you. This dog needs to be socialized intensively as a young pup. If not that, he is very likely to snatch up a bird splickety split. If you choose to go this route, be VERY CAREFUL. Also...if you don't do what it doesn't like, be prepared for the shiba scream. ;) Though, what I've said is just research, so take this lightly. I haven't seen that many Shibas here.
  3. Pomeranian
    • These dogs are cute lap dogs... I don't know why you've quite leaped at this from the previous two? Anyway. These dogs would love to do some hiking with you, but they are smaller, so they obviously wouldn't do as well nor are they equipped as some other dog breeds who love to be active. (Australian Cattle Dog, for instance.)
  4. Pug
    • Don't go with this dog. We need healtheir breeding practices for this dog breed, and until then, I wouldn't recommend anyone to purchase a pug puppy unless it was a rescue.,
  5. Retriever
    • These guys are like the Huskies and Shibas, but are much more biddable and more happy go lucky. LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF ENERGY. I AM SERIOUS.
Though, overall, if you have the time and willing to train, these dogs could be a great fit for anyone. Truly. However, I would only suggest that you do your research and find an ETHICAL breeder. People say that a lot of breeders are great and ethical, but our family adopted a retired breeder from such a breeder, and she was HORRIBLE. A wreck! She had obviously been abused to produce litter after litter and had fierce puppy anxiety. (When I adopted my current dog as an eight month old puppy, she would herd her around like her own child. Six years after being with us, and still did so with shoes or her toys.) She was also extremely wary of intact males. However, she was a champion female with at least various AKC titles under her name. But what did that do to the breeder when she was spayed? She didn't mean anything now that she couldn't make an excellent profit off her conformation puppies. I really tell people to look for breeders who breed and raise their dogs INSIDE THE HOUSE AND WITH THE FAMILY. If a breeder sticks them outside and only brings the puppies inside, run away. If a breeder is saying that he or she only conforms their dogs to AKC standards, run away. A good breeder puts the actual dog breed first -- NOT the standard that is screwed to produce good looking animals. And besides, if a dog is bred to their true purpose (such as dual purpose lines who show and work, or show and do some minor work at the very least!), the standard comes naturally.

I would only purchase a breeder who raised her studs and pretty ladies inside the house. Preferably had the dog give birth inside the house, too, but I can see instances where that doesn't happen all the time.

Last edited: