• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which dog breed would you want the most below

jahpan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
So eventually when we get a house (prob in a few years, we live in a apartment now), we are able to get a dog or two. My fiancee already has his choice from the dogs he likes. But out of these which breed do you prefer and why? Also after choosing, what breeds do you particularly like? Should I get a dog breed that I also never had before? I've always wanted pugs but my parents have had two growing up but can't help but love them!!

1. Black/White Husky
2. Black Shiba Inu
3. Blonde Pomeranian
4. fawn or black pug
5. white golden retriever

I'm so undecided !! ;o; They are all so cute! T_T

Chihuahua

Rollerblading along the road
Probably a pom, pugs are health issue prone, goldens and huskies are extremely high energy and shibas are a little strange and difficult compared to other breeds.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
shiba inu or pug.......oh I'll take both!!

Ark

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Go with the one that fits your lifestyle best! Lots of people get beautiful but high energy dogs like huskies and are then upset when the dog destroys the couch because he didn't get to run for several hours and was bored. Pugs and to a lesser extent poms are on the safer side of the equation when it comes to energy requirements, but still require thorough research into their individual needs (I know pugs in particular have a lot of health issues). As tempting as it is to go by looks, that can ultimately be a disservice to you and the dog if the lifestyle match isn't right.

I have a husky and I adore him for his wonderful temperament, but would I do it again... probably not. I prefer the herding breeds for their biddability. My husky is about as smart as my border collie, but he uses his intelligence for evil... he KNOWS when he's doing something I wouldn't like, but he does it anyway because if the human is dumb enough to leave food unsupervised, that's THEIR fault. I get enough of that attitude with my birds!

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
Definitely not a pug. Ever loom at an xray of their skull? We have bred them to the point where their skull is too small for everything that goes in it. That's why their eyes always look so bulgy. So many healthy issues - but people think they are 'cute' like that, so they are breeding them more and more.

Personally I like great big beasts like Newfies. I also love mutts!

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd probably want the husky but it would probably be one of the worst choices for a home with birds. Second choice would be the golden as I'd be able to do long walks, hikes and it wouldn't be a disaster to include it in my falconry stuff except for picking burrs out of it all the time. However, I have heard of a golden killing someone's scarlet when they stepped out of the house for a few minutes.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think you should wait til you ready. Then go to your local shelter and take home a dog there that you fall in love with! You'll be saving a life! :joyful:

I also really agree with the concept of getting a dog that fits your lifestyle. If your a couch potato you don't want a hi energy dog plus certain dogs are known to not be great with kids so if you plan to have children that's another thing to consider.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Love pugs but all I have known have had trouble with potty training. We have three japanese chins...love them. Lap dogs, cat like and they woo-woo when they bark. They are really good dogs. Hubby has a pom. Super intelligent and cute as can but but her yip...oiy. She barks a lot but it is more of she talks to hubby. He works with her on this chatty syndrome but I can only imagine one that you don't work with... I also have my mom's chihuahua. Love her but she is a little snippy with kids. Would not have picked her though if she hadn't become my friend while mom was sick. I agree with Flipper. Start going to the rescue places and see which breed you seem to connect with....

GCChris

Walking the driveway
I imagine a pug would work best in a bird home. We have a rat terrier. He is a bit nervous of the birds, he wants to eat them bad but knows he cannot, which results in anxiety and whining. He is generally a pain around them as he is very quick, loud, and jumps a lot so can frighten the birds. He is also very curious and has amazing sense of smell, so can sniff out the tiniest bit of flung food to eat and has to investigate everything. Pug...poor sense of smell, not very athletic, low prey-drive...perfect for bird owners!! Shibas and husky also have high prey-drive so avoid those. They may leave your birds alone but may just become weird around them due to conflicting instincts like our terrier.

jeme3

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
The dogs you have listed are all very different. They have different exercise and grooming needs, different levels of stubbornness/ willingness to please, etc.

Figure out what you want in a dog first, then start thinking of breeds. How active are you? If you and the fiance like to stay home and putter around the house with your birds, a Husky just won't do well with that lifestyle. If your idea of a great weekend is hiking 15 miles in the mountains with your dog, a pug is not going to work. If you're hoping to have a bunch of kids and a dog that is BFF's with all of them, a Shiba Inu is not the dog for you.

Look at your lifestyle, now and in the future, then research breed characteristics.

Personally, I would recommend a rescue, either purebred or a mix with breeds that seem to suit your lifestyle. There are SO many dogs that need homes. My Lab came from a breed-specific rescue and she's awesome. The dog we had before her was a shepherd mutt from the pound. She was awesome, too. We also had a Shar Pei mix that was given to us... He was stubborn and had no desire to please us, but was lovable in his own way. I will never have another Shar Pei or Shar Pei mix. They are somewhat notorious for being difficult to train. He completely lived up to that.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Try a rescue, greyhounds, they can fit your household very well. No, they are not hyper, just glad they are in a home. Have you ever seen a greyhound that never had a puppyhood, they are so fun to watch them throw toys around, just being happy is all they want. There is a program out there where less severe prisoners are allowed to have a greyhound twenty four seven. They are to take care of them, walk them, etc After 8 weeks there is a graduation ceremony for the greys and then they go to greyhound rescues or foster homes. Another idea, why not become fosters for a rescue, then you can see what the breed is like. I have had greys around my bird. What I did was to put a fence around the cage but left enough room for me to go in and out, the greys ignored the bird

Last edited:

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
Try a rescue, greyhounds, they can fit your household very well. No, they are not hyper, just glad they are in a home. Have you ever seen a greyhound that never had a puppyhood, they are so fun to watch them throw toys around, just being happy is all they want. There is a program out there where less severe prisoners are allowed to have a greyhound twenty four seven. They are to take care of them, walk them, etc After 8 weeks there is a graduation ceremony for the greys and then they go to greyhound rescues or foster homes. Another idea, why not become fosters for a rescue, then you can see what the breed is like. I have had greys around my bird. What I did was to put a fence around the cage but left enough room for me to go in and out, the greys ignored the bird
I absolutely love greyhounds! From what I've read is that they are incredibly chilled out dogs who would love to just snuggle all say. I don't think I'd be able to get one though, not with our Northern Ontario winters.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
sure u can, just get them a coat, snow boots and a snood

GCChris

Walking the driveway
I wanted a rescue greyhound :( but my partner couldn't get over his 'big dog' misconceptions and thought they'd be too much and too big for the house. So instead we got a 12lb rat terrier who has crazy energy and very hard to keep satisfied :(. Still love him, but when he's gone it's a big couch potato greyhound for me!!

Chihuahua

I'd probably want the husky but it would probably be one of the worst choices for a home with birds. Second choice would be the golden as I'd be able to do long walks, hikes and it wouldn't be a disaster to include it in my falconry stuff except for picking burrs out of it all the time. However, I have heard of a golden killing someone's scarlet when they stepped out of the house for a few minutes.
goldens are bred to retrieve birds... think again

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe you should consider finding a safer home for the lovies when you go to get your dog(s). Lovies are way too curious and adventurous.

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
I would say golden retriever but I'm biased seeing as I've grown up with them :xflove: They are absolutely wonderful dogs that are as loyal as they come. Yes, some are high energy but I've found they mellow out pretty quick when they hit 4 or 5 years old. Our current golden is a total cuddlebug and the most laid-back dog I know! She's also super people oriented to the point that when we go to the dog park she could care less about the other dogs and instead makes sure to go up and say hi to all the people there :p

I also have a mix breed dog who was a rescue and she is an amazing dog as well. She's super high energy, can be very nervous, and definitely has some protective breeds in her. Overall though she is very loyal, can be off leash without any problems unlike our golden, and is extremely intelligent. Grooming wise she sheds at least a small dog a day :wideyed:

Basically what it comes down to is what you want in a dog and how much time you're willing to put into exercising, grooming, and training the dog. My two dogs are wonderful but my family and I put a lot of work into training them. I am a big advocate of rescuing, so I would recommend seeing what your local shelter or even breed specific rescues have. If you want a pure bred, breed specific rescues are a great place to look :)

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
goldens are bred to retrieve birds... think again
I've had sporting dogs most of my life around birds. Most of them can learn the rules of the house if the owner uses basic common sense and early training. They are better than small high prey drive terriers that will just attack outright. Currently have a little springer spaniel that is also bred to retrieve. No problem with him so far. He's going to have a bird as his partner in the field here in a few weeks and definitely won't be retrieving that particular bird. However, I do think the herding dogs are generally a better pet bird and dog combo.

jeme3

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
I have a lab and birds. She gets that they are family. Zero issues with her and the birds (birds are never on the floor or in a room unattended with the dog or cats).