• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which common finch species *require* larvae in their diet?

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
I'd like to know which common finch species (plural) truly require larvae in their diet in order to thrive. (I'm talking about finches that are common in the pet trade and are relatively easy to care for as pets.)

So far, I have the impression that Zebra, Society and Gouldian finches don't require mealworms, but the Java Rice and Spice finches do. Please, correct me if I'm off-base.

BTW, I ask this question because I don't have the stomach for buying, much less feeding, mealworms. I just wouldn't be my thing. :depressed:

Thank you,

DS

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Of the common pet store varieties (except the Rice are illegal in many places so they are not in stores) you have the ones that *dont require mealworms. But ALL require protein.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Where are java sparrows illegal to be owned?

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Where are java sparrows illegal to be owned?
It is a huge pest- many entire countries, california, new england.... there are a few states say they are banned (illegal) and possession is heavy fines and seizure. A flock can totally demolish an entire field in a matter of weeks.

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
Of the common pet store varieties (except the Rice are illegal in many places so they are not in stores) you have the ones that *dont require mealworms. But ALL require protein.
Non-living protein I'm okay with feeding. ;) (I watched a YouTube video of Java Rice finches eating mealworms and had to turn it off. :depressed:)

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
It is a huge pest- many entire countries, california, new england.... there are a few states say they are banned (illegal)....
I read that very info. in BIRDS USA Annual just today; so I guess that I needn't worry about feeding mealworms in the future--or finding Java Rice finches available, for that matter.

Last edited: