• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which camera should I get?

Tinta

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Many years ago I posted a thread similar to this one, knowing much less about what I even wanted in a camera. I ended up getting a Nikon D5300, but ultimately it was too much camera for me.

So I was wondering if I could get y'all's help once more?

I am hoping to stay in the $400-600ish range as a price point. I would like:
- a more compact camera than the huge bodied DSLR type cameras
- a vari angle screen vs just the kind that flips for selfies

I am in the end looking for a good or even higher end compact camera without interchangeable lenses. I do want to be able to learn and do a great deal of things manually with it, but I doubt I'll ever be toting around another heavy bodied DSLR and I never bought more than the kit lens last time. I just want to be able to take lovely photos of my daily life stuff and have really good portability.
But I don't really even know what camera brands are good other than Nikon and Canon and am a bit unsure where to start in my research.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How small of a camera do you want? Do you want an ultra zoom? There are some very good ultra zoom bridge cameras but they may be bulkier than what you are looking for.
You can also consider a micro four/thirds camera with interchangeable lenses. Some of the lenses are small. I am a fan of the Panasonic micro four thirds. You can get a zoom and then you don't have to change lenses. However if you definitely want a fixed lens camera then check out the bridge cameras:
Point and Shoot Cameras, Compact Digital Cameras | B&H Photo
Here are two compact zoom cameras (not ultra zoom): Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II Digital Camera 1066C001-ACKT B&H
Panasonic DMC-ZS100 Lumix Digital Camera (ZS100 Black) B&H Photo
There are several other compact zooms but you need to figure out how much zoom you want.

Check out Digital Photography Review
Digital Cameras, Digital Camera Reviews

Lots of info on these sites.

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
How small of a camera do you want? Do you want an ultra zoom? There are some very good ultra zoom bridge cameras but they may be bulkier than what you are looking for.
You can also consider a micro four/thirds camera with interchangeable lenses. Some of the lenses are small. I am a fan of the Panasonic micro four thirds. You can get a zoom and then you don't have to change lenses. However if you definitely want a fixed lens camera then check out the bridge cameras:
Point and Shoot Cameras, Compact Digital Cameras | B&H Photo
Here are two compact zoom cameras (not ultra zoom): Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II Digital Camera 1066C001-ACKT B&H
Panasonic DMC-ZS100 Lumix Digital Camera (ZS100 Black) B&H Photo
There are several other compact zooms but you need to figure out how much zoom you want.

Check out Digital Photography Review
Digital Cameras, Digital Camera Reviews

Lots of info on these sites.

Thank you for your reply!

I am unsure what size I really want; as in, I am open to something a bit larger if it's honestly the best camera for me but I have joint issues and would like to be able to take photos with the ease of a lighter body than one typically sees on DSLRs (though I suppose most of their weight are the lenses, now that I consider it) and the option of being able to store a more compact camera in a pocket is more appealing to me than having to carry around a camera bag. This is also the reason I'd rather ditch interchangeable lenses, but smaller lenses might work. I hadn't realized there were mirrorless or micros with smallers ones, so that is now something to consider, thank you. :eek:

I think ultrazoom cameras are what are referred to as 'bridge cameras'? Are these the ones that tend to have the huge DSLR type bodies though? I'll definitely consider them just for the ease of a fixed lens. I don't think I'll get too into the professional aspects but I do want the potential to learn.

I am also considering 'action camera' types, like the GoPro fusion. Especially for the added stabilization, small size and mounting capabilities. SD teams with a small camera mounted on their dog tend to get less people acting foolish around them over their dogs, I've noticed. :confused: And it also works much like a dashcam, for safety and possible litigation issues.

I will read these links, thanks again.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Many years ago I posted a thread similar to this one, knowing much less about what I even wanted in a camera. I ended up getting a Nikon D5300, but ultimately it was too much camera for me.

So I was wondering if I could get y'all's help once more?

I am hoping to stay in the $400-600ish range as a price point. I would like:
- a more compact camera than the huge bodied DSLR type cameras
- a vari angle screen vs just the kind that flips for selfies

I am in the end looking for a good or even higher end compact camera without interchangeable lenses. I do want to be able to learn and do a great deal of things manually with it, but I doubt I'll ever be toting around another heavy bodied DSLR and I never bought more than the kit lens last time. I just want to be able to take lovely photos of my daily life stuff and have really good portability.
But I don't really even know what camera brands are good other than Nikon and Canon and am a bit unsure where to start in my research.

Any late model smart phone like a pixel or an iPhone will do all those things. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference between one of those photos and any high end camera.

With today's computational photography there really isn't a need for a stand alone camera. Even the pros are ditching them. Great pictures are all in the eye of the photographer and lighting. Not the camera.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Any late model smart phone like a pixel or an iPhone will do all those things.
I agree with that. And you also can download great free app's for editing on your phone. I have two great cameras, but I often use my Android to take pics with.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I also vote with getting a pixel or something similar if you want to downsize.

Great camera for everyday use.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I am a photographer and I have 13+ years of experience with various cameras. Both DSLR and compact cameras. Right now and for the past 2 years, I've had a Nikon P900. It is an amazing camera with incredible zoom powers. Definately can do macro and wildlife shots very well. If I had the money I would also buy a Sony A6000 just because I need a higher powered small DSLR for my work photography. But, atm I can't afford it so the P900 will have to work lol! I switched from a big DSLR (Nikon D7100) to the Nikon p900 because my medical stuff went south and it hurt to hold a big camera up like that and lug it around. But the Sony A6000 is a mirrorless small compact DSLR so that's what I'd like to switch to at some point. What did you decide on?

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I like my Canon T3 DSLR, I also like the camera my phone has. I almost always have my phone with me and it takes excellent to acceptable shots depending on how close and lighting and like that. My DSLR I have like 4 lenses for and so I can pick the one for the job at hand and always get excellent shots. It focuses better then my phone and low light is way better plus I have up to a 300mm long zoom and a regular 18x55 image stabilized and a 55x250 stabilized lens. My phone actually takes better video up close as it can do 4kHDR and auto focus is continuous so video is sharp, clear, and bright with great sound. I have been thinking of a simple point and shoot zoom camera for easier carrying around and less hit if I loose it as phone doesn't zoom much when I just want quick nice shots. When I want complete control I grab the DSLR and it's backpack camera bag I bought for it and extra batteries and memory cards.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I take photos with my cell phone and they are decent but in low light the photos are grainy/noisy, telephoto capability much, much less than my telephoto zoom lenses and I don't have excellent control over Depth of Field like I do with my cameras. If you are considering getting a cell phone for the camera then you need to check the capabilities and functions: ability to set ISO, amount of zoom, how it does in low light, any aperture control and if not what is the aperture, maximum megapixels, etc. I know that you can buy lenses for some phones but quality of the lenses for my cameras is better. I have several cameras but mainly use my GX7 because it is fairly small and lightweight. My Pentaxes are excellent cameras and my best lenses are the Pentax ones but one of my Pentax's is on the heavy side whereas the other one is sort of funky. I'm considering getting a new camera or perhaps just a new lens for the GX7. I was actually thinking about purchasing the Sony A6000 @Gen120 but I'm already invested in Pentax and Panasonic systems so I don't want to start having to invest in another system. The price on the Sony with one lens is pretty good right now, probably be less around BF or CyberMonday.

Huawei collaborated with Leica to manufacture the Huawei P20 Pro . This is probably one of the best cameras in a phone at this time. If I was considering replacing my cameras with a cell phone camera this is what I would probably get.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My GX7 is somewhat similar to the A6000 although different sensors and a few other different features. I like that the GX7 and newer GXs have in camera stabilization (IBIS = In Body Image Stabilization) whereas the Sony A6000 only has Optical Steadyshot Stabilization (OSS) which relates to image stabilization built into the lenses. If you are left eyed you can get nose smear on the LCD with both of the cameras. The placement of the viewfinder works great for right eyed individuals. I'm left eyed dominant.

The GX85 is a bargain right now, selling for $497.99 with two lenses.
gx85 | B&H Photo Video
https://www.adorama.com/ipcgx85bk2a.html

Prices down due to the release of the GX9. The included lenses are not the best but still, all in all, very good price.

I have a $100 gift certificate from B&H and I want to use it before the end of the month. Spending too much time looking through lenses. They raised the price of the lens I was considering but it went back down in price today.

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I have the Nikon D5600 love especially for wildlife
Nice :)

Yeah I wouldn't want to downsize if I had that. :joyful:

Original poster is looking for a smaller easy to carry about camera, which makes sense too :)

ChromeScholar

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
I love my Canons, but they're not what you're looking for. I use a 1D, a 20D, and a Rebel T5. The Rebel T5 is a decent, lighter weight DSLR.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Let us know what you choose.

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
Wow, thanks for all the ideas y'all.
Definitely looking harder at the Sony A6000 and the Panasonic GX8.
I have no idea what I'll choose yet and may have to spend a few weeks deciding!
I'll deinitely let you all know. You've been such a big help! :xflove:

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Just as a side note... any mirrorless camera should do justice for you! My suggestion is that it is capable of Manual Shooting mode as well as taking both raw and jpegs! Good luck!