• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which brand of pellets contain Omega-3 fatty acids, and which do not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzysmama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
What on earth is cardiac oil?
I do not know all of the ingredients in this cardiac oil. That is the name of it on the prescription bottle. I meant to ask but forgot, I need to call and find out that info. I do know that it contains omegas but Chandra says it contains more ingredients. I think it's a concoction the vet makes up, Chandra can correct me on that if I'm wrong. Her birds were on it but she said they did not like the taste so she only gives the omega oil. Breeze and Jazzy love the taste, they will lick it off my fingers if they miss a drop. :lol:

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
I guess if a vet prescribes it most likely it is okay, but I have to say I would probably not feed something if I didn't know what it was. Do you think it is oil from some plant(s)?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I add crushed flax seeds to my birds daily mash/chop.

Opa has arthritis in his back toe so omega 3 from the crushed flax seed helps tremendously! So I make sure all my birds get it! Good good stuff!

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Canola oil is listed as an ingredient on both of my packages of Nutriberries. My vet has told me to add it here and there to other foods as well as it's an inexpensive source. So I cook eggs in it or put a drop in spaghetti sauce as well since I don't feed Nutriberries as their primary food source. I do feed walnuts daily as well.

As I've mentioned before, Dr. O is a nutritional consultant for Lafeber and she really stresses the omega 3/6 fatty acids as being important for our birds.

It does seem a bit easier to hide the canola oil in other foods compared to the red palm oil. Some birds love RPO, but here only Merlin will eat it. Sometimes I even put just an extra tad of the canola oil on the Nutriberries and then give it a couple of days to dry a bit (well the best you can do with oil anyway :) ).

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

I do not know all of the ingredients in this cardiac oil. That is the name of it on the prescription bottle. I meant to ask but forgot, I need to call and find out that info. I do know that it contains omegas but Chandra says it contains more ingredients. I think it's a concoction the vet makes up, Chandra can correct me on that if I'm wrong. Her birds were on it but she said they did not like the taste so she only gives the omega oil. Breeze and Jazzy love the taste, they will lick it off my fingers if they miss a drop. :lol:
i don't know exactly everything that is in cardiac but there is a taste difference as only Carlton and zephyr will eat it. It is a base of omega oils with heart health additives. I also have a special blend that has crushed lavender for feather destructive behavior. Works on zephyr and he likes it but Giggie hates it. Then I have the base omega oils. There is a difference in feather quality within a week or two. Dr. O also has a phd in the human medical field but I can never remember which one. If I can't trust someone with 20+ years of experience that still teaches, researches and stays certified..then I give up. I do question some things but she always gives me data and actual facts to back up what she says.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
I am totally confused now. If nutriberries already contain balanced Omega 3 / 6 supposedly, why add canola oil? Also, canola oil if processed commercially is heated and that means the Omega 3s are affected, compared to say cold pressed olive oil. Plus, almost all canola is grown in Canada and 80 percent is GMO.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Dr. Orosz is more than happy to answer questions by phone which I recommend since answering one thing seems to make you think of even more.:D

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
LOL, Chandra, I probably should call her. I am very interested in a non-commercial source of Omega 3 / 6. I do feed flax seed and often hulled hemp. I don't do eggs or oil but I am open minded about considering oil.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Kathy, I only add some canola oil to Nutriberries because I also feed other pellets. If you are feeding primarily Lafeber products that isn't necessary. However, due to my Grey needing higher protein and fat than what is in the Nutriberries, I also feed her Harrison's pellets. And due to conures needing higher protein as well, I also want Rowdy eating a certain amount of pellets. Perhaps more important that Rowdy does as she doesn't like chicken or turkey (although she does like beans). I give Pete some pellets also though amazons could easily live off Nutriberries as they don't need the extra protein and fat.

Dr. O wants me to give them all a minimum of 4-6 Nutriberries a day for the omegas. Ok, Merlin and Pete can manage to put away that many and still eat a good amount of pellets and fresh foods as well. But, it's hard to get 4-6 big Nutriberries into Rowdy and still be sure she eats other things besides them. It would be easier if she would also eat a good piece of chicken each day, too, but she won't. So I will add canola oil here and there to make sure Rowdy is getting all her omegas, but also all her protein from her pellets. And I like to make sure all my birds get some veggies daily, too.

Now, should Lafeber bring out a high protein Nutriberry I wouldn't hesitate to use them completely in place of pellets.

Last edited:

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
I can't use Nutriberries with the Eclectus. Just too many additives. What I'm trying to figure out is what is the source of Omega 3/6 in Nutriberries because I cannot see anything obvious in the ingredients listed... unless it's egg. That doesn't seem right.

And, if I can learn what ingredient(s) provide the balance of omega 3/6 I could feed it. Unless it's egg. I'm not going to feed egg.

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Have you tried feeding them red palm oil? Merlin will eat it off a spoon, but my other 2 turn their beaks up at it. The funny part is Merlin is the pickiest.

If you are feeding any soft foods (oatmeal, birdie bread, spaghetti sauce), try adding drops of canola oil.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I can't use Nutriberries with the Eclectus. Just too many additives. What I'm trying to figure out is what is the source of Omega 3/6 in Nutriberries because I cannot see anything obvious in the ingredients listed... unless it's egg. That doesn't seem right.

And, if I can learn what ingredient(s) provide the balance of omega 3/6 I could feed it. Unless it's egg. I'm not going to feed egg.
Is there a reason you can't feed egg? I'm not very knowledgeable about eclectus. :o:

Status
Not open for further replies.