1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Whew if this is hormones...

Discussion in 'Caique Cul De Sac' started by finchly, 5/8/19.

1. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
    I don't know how Rio and I are going to make it for 30+ more years! :laugh:

This is mostly a vent thread; I'm not rehoming, not boiling her into soup (what my neighbor suggested). Not looking for more advice unless I've missed something glaringly obvious.

She just turned 2. We were out of town (twice in just under 3 weeks) and after the 2nd trip she started flying - like a missile - at hubby and attacking him. She would bite the back of his neck, serious bites. He's diabetic and 73 years old so we can't have that. I had him start wearing a towel on his neck when I was getting her out, so she bit his hands and arms. He looks like he's been in a battle, his skin is very thin and even their nails sometimes hurt him. Anyway.

John (@JLcribber ) suggested an attitude adjustment by trimming her wings, just one feather at a time. I've done 3 - on both sides of course, taking off maybe 1/2" so maybe not enough? But she can still fly, not like a rocket more like .... an unsteady overweight bird. LOL She could probably still get to hubby but now he hides when I'm moving them to another room.

I normally don't clip birds but in addition to the hubby attacks she has started running from me / refusing to go back in her cage. It takes a minimum of 1/2 hour to get her in it, she doesn't care what treat you offer or anything. I usually get bitten at least twice. The clip will help with this I hope. Captain Jack goes straight in.

So I'm the only one handling them but my back went out (it's finally getting better) and they were in their cage screaming all day the past couple days. (Cap'n Jack is only 1. He's screaming cause she is) In our office where, you know, we try to work! And hubby has business calls!

I bought some hormone Havoc tea from Greywood Manor and gave her that. Someone suggested that we cover them, so last night was our first night covering. Wow what a difference. Today they are making very quiet chirps. They. Are. QUIET. What a relief.

One step at a time I guess.

2. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best KICK ME!

John
    Trust me. Things won't always be like this. You have a "raging teenager" who is in overdrive and just as confused about some things as you are. We all get older. We all mature and settle down. In the end we look back and marvel at how far we've come. Great rewards require great sacrifice. :hug8:

Imagine if Rio was a 2 pound cockatoo with a 3 inch beak. You're getting off easy. :D

Irishj9, finchly and faislaq like this.
  3. Teckechick

Teckechick Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one! Celebirdy of the Month

Dawn
    :sadhug2:Big hugs, hopefully things calm down a bit soon!!

finchly and faislaq like this.
  4. saroj12

saroj12 Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

saroj
    Somehow my two didn't go through that. The only thing JoJo was possessive about was his food but now he just lifts my finger and moves my hand away.

5. saroj12

saroj12 Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

saroj
    Glad that worked!

6. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
    ^^ Yes! I know!
    And I don't want anyone to think it's "hmmm let's rehome" -- it's not! I looooove this bird in spite of her silly self. I'm just so over teenagers! :wtf:

Thanks for the reminder. Maybe we could just skip forward, to that part?

JLcribber likes this.
  7. Irishj9

Irishj9 Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

JP
    I have a 7 year old hen, Cha_Cha.

She is a happy little birdie when not hormonal. She surfs quietly on my hand for hours. Watches tv quietly like a lady. Pushes nothing off the table. Destroys nothing. Never screams.
    .......until the hormones hit

Then she spits fire at me if I approach her nest. Squabbles constantly with her mate, screeching at him etc

Then when the cycle ends, chick hatches and I remove it

...peace descends again

The old Cha_Cha returns like she never left

Now I see her lower abdomen is swelling again. An egg is due. She scrapes at the nestbox during the night. She tells her mate what she REALLY thinks of him

The cycle begins again. Soon she will be howling at the moon

Note to self - Buy more garlic

Eloy and finchly like this.
  8. finchly

Tanya
    :rofl:

Oh! I feel your pain. Rio is normally hanging off some body part or other. Not lately! And that's by mutual agreement.

At least she is settling down some, she isn't attacking hubby. She flies at him and stares because he's wearing a towel over his head.

Today was the first day in weeks she flew up to the highest level of the play area (8 feet up or so). I'm still thinking part of this was a reaction to us being out of town. Keeping her out in the sunshine playing a lot seems to help some.

And of course no eggies, she just turned 2.

Eloy and Irishj9 like this.
  9. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    Your husband is an angel to put up with all this. Give him a hug from all of us.

10. Irishj9

JP
    Of course you know this post is useless without pics? Lol

Eloy likes this.
  11. finchly

Tanya
    OMG hubby will die! OK I’ll do that tomorrow.....ssssh....

Eloy and Irishj9 like this.
  12. finchly

Tanya
    Oh he’s an angel anyways! Right now he’s cleaning the kitchen. When my craft friends are here they tell him: “We all want you.”
    I could go on and on. :)

Lady Jane likes this.
  13. Irishj9

JP
    You remind me of the Roseanne Barr Comedy. When her friends were fainting over how kind and attentive her husband was, she said:

WHAT? You think he came like that? Haha. It took twenty years of training to get him to this stage!

Mockinbirdiva, finchly and Eloy like this.
  14. finchly

Tanya
    Ahhh but in my case he came already trained. You know, like a hand fed bird.

He was married 39 years before his wife died of cancer. I’m #2, and being a fiddler and having said I will never play 2nd fiddle, I have to eat my words!

Mockinbirdiva and Irishj9 like this.
  15. finchly

Tanya
    I tried to video Rio flying to hubby.... she didn't do it so I turned it off.... and she flew over.

So here's a very short clip of her reaction to the towel-head.

16. Irishj9

JP
    Lol Fingers wouldn't let him get away like that. My fingers has punched holes in every towel I own

finchly and Mockinbirdiva like this.
  17. Mockinbirdiva

Mockinbirdiva Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Andrea
    She's beautiful. Hubby is too cute!

finchly likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. Tim