• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

where to put water

Mommabird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Patricia
Okay I heard that you feed seeds and pellets to a rosy bourke in a dish on the ground is this correct? Also should the water be on the ground or should it be in a hanging bird bowl off the ground? Where to put the water has got me the most confused. Need to know because I'am getting 2 rosy bourkes Saturday morning.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Water and food on the low risks getting poo in it, and you dont want that! Place the food and water about half way up, or at the highest perches.

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Are the Bourke's you are getting accustomed to having their food on the ground? I keep food & water about 3/4 of the way up the cage near the higher perches, with a supplemental bowl for dry pellets on the low side of the cage. There's no rule that I know of that encourages putting food on the ground, but someone else may weigh in.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I don't have bourkes, but from what I know, there's no "rule" of where you need to put the bowls. I like to put them towards the bottom, because I sit on the floor with my bird to fill his bowl every morning (it's our little bonding time :) ).

But up higher is fine. Just make sure the bowls are out of the areas your bird might poop, and you'll be fine. I have noticed that having the bowls lower encourages the bird to use more of the cage.

M_Riddly

Strolling the yard
I think putting them on the ground isn't the best of ideas. The bird will discover where the food is as long as you don't make it hard to find. Also, tip from a owner of many birds. Put the food and water as far away from each other as possible and put them up higher as opposed to lower. The food dishes where the bird has to stick its head into a feeder are amazing. If they are open food and water dishes, especially on the cage floor, your birds will perch above them or climb above them and poop. Also seeds fly when wings are flapped and pellets fly when chomped down on.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
I feed all birds on the cage floor and always have. It ensures they use the whole cage.