• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where to find jolly balls?

RyleeRae

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rylee brinkerhoff
I really love those jolly balls and I have been looking for them everywhere but cannot really find much.
Does anyone know a good place to get them at a good price?
Thanks!

Reactions: Jan

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Jan from BBT has/had them but she is closing up shop and I am not sure what she has left.

Reactions: Jan

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Basically what @Mizzely said. I grabbed a 6" jolly ball from Blu's when they still were mostly in stock. I got the stuff to make a 10 inch one for out of the cage on my own, most of it from Welcome to MakeYourOwnBirdToys.com - DIY bird toy parts. Some pet stores have jolly balls in the dog toy area, there's a little inflated ball in the middle. You just pop it and pull it out and then you can drill your holes and stuff.

RyleeRae

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rylee brinkerhoff
Basically what @Mizzely said. I grabbed a 6" jolly ball from Blu's when they still were mostly in stock. I got the stuff to make a 10 inch one for out of the cage on my own, most of it from Welcome to MakeYourOwnBirdToys.com - DIY bird toy parts. Some pet stores have jolly balls in the dog toy area, there's a little inflated ball in the middle. You just pop it and pull it out and then you can drill your holes and stuff.
@Jan from BBT has/had them but she is closing up shop and I am not sure what she has left.
Thanks!! I’ll look into them!

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I really love those jolly balls and I have been looking for them everywhere but cannot really find much.
Does anyone know a good place to get them at a good price?
Thanks!

Yes, I have 6" & 8" sizes still yet. Not sure what all birds you have, if you have a Cockatiel, you could go with a 8" size ball, 6" is a bit too small. I no longer offer hardware on the ball now. You could also go with that 10" size on the link posted about, an okay price, that green inner call you just collapse and kind of fold it in half and remove it.

Just to tease you, I use to do the jolly balls with toys hanging from them...

JBFB-10in-24inToys-1b-70k.jpg

Last edited:

RyleeRae

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rylee brinkerhoff
Yes, I have 6" & 8" sizes still yet. Not sure what all birds you have, if you have a Cockatiel, you could go with a 8" size ball, 6" is a bit too small. I no longer offer hardware on the ball now. You could also go with that 10" size on the link posted about, an okay price, that green inner call you just collapse and kind of fold it in half and remove it.

Just to tease you, I use to do the jolly balls with toys hanging from them...

View attachment 262114
:p Lol, thanks!

vanyasmom

Walking the driveway
Evidently there are TWO Jolly Balls!!! I always thought a Jolly Ball was a ball with a handle - It was also labelled a Jolly Ball, and they were like a rubber or something, so the horse could step on them and they would bounce back. My horses LOVED THEM!!!! And that they had these in a smaller size for a dog.

So, this was very confusing for me, I didn't know that birds had them too!!!

Attachments

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Evidently there are TWO Jolly Balls!!! I always thought a Jolly Ball was a ball with a handle - It was also labelled a Jolly Ball, and they were like a rubber or something, so the horse could step on them and they would bounce back. My horses LOVED THEM!!!! And that they had these in a smaller size for a dog.

So, this was very confusing for me, I didn't know that birds had them too!!!
That confused me too at first!

The ones from the pet store with a ball inside...we didn't even collapse the ball, hubby was able to wiggle it out. A dog that plays a good game of tug could probably get it out in no time.

Jan

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Yes, right the one with the handle are meant for horses and you could not use for a bird. Jolly Pets company which who is Horsemen's Pride has widely changed things over the years. I am or have been highly sadden by how they've changed. Oh, they say for the bird industry there are not people who buy from them and now there are even less. I have noticed the jolly balls I buy are not near the quality they once use to be, because now they are for outdoor play ... the way they are finished they have scratches and often the insides are not as nice inside as they use to be. Anyone who gets their balls from me and are scratchy, well they come that way to me, I put no scratches on them myself. I am so disappointed with their finish on them. There are a few here and there that have a fairly nice finished look.

Then the big whammy when they discontinued the 14" size jolly balls with the holes in them. So I would have to purchase their "Push-n-Play" ball which has no holes and I have to cut out all the holes myself. They simply would no longer do that part.

As for the 6", 8" & 10" balls they use to be called "Ferret" balls or "Critter" balls and they were always beautifully finished, no longer and now they call them "Teaser Balls" which have the little green ball inside and are meant for Dog play. So I'd have to buy the Teaser Ball and remove the inner green ball, no big deal they are fairly easy to take out except on the 6" balls because the holes in the 6" ball are quite small and hard to get the collapsed green ball out through the hole. I even asked Jolly Pets when they would sell me the 6", 8" & 10" balls to not to put in the green ball, but nope they send them to me like that anyway. My son's dog loves playing with the green balls I give her and give them to my sister's dog who likes them too and they can chew on them too!

The 14" balls - I think I was about the only one out there cutting out the holes in the 14", I think one other person who was doing it too but don't think any longer. So you maybe highly unlikely at this point in time to find them with the holes cut out of them. Having to cut out the holes in the 14" ball had really been a huge extra step for me to do. There was a lady who recently had bought all 11 of 14" that had had left in stock so I had not previously cut out the holes so I had to get all those done then shipped them off. I can say this, I certainly have more room in my shop!!

I am considering on posting my PDF on how I cut the holes in the 14" balls in the DYI forum so if anyone is interested. It does not have every nitty gritty detail but if you understand things, it would be helpful. I had one gal on here who asked if I would not mind to tell her what I used or how I did the holes, so I sent her the info.

Last edited:

Jan

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
LOL! No, there should be no reason for him to loose a finger if he uses the tool I mentioned for cutting out holes. Believe me I did trial and error on the best way to cut out the 5" holes, I even thought the 5" hole saw would be best tool ... NOPE!! One thing I that I think is not mentioned in my instructions is to set the 14" ball like on something round like a large bucket then he would turn the ball as he cuts around the hole, this way you have better control on the ball. I used a plastic 6" high thing that holds like a cake. You just want the round bottom of the ball to sit in it comfortably so it does not slip out from under you while cutting each hole. Maybe I need to revise my PDF Instructions a bit better before posting it. If you have questions about it, just ask!!

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you Jan! Glad you mentioned the hole saw. We talked about using that. He has the correct saw also and is pretty handy so I think he will be successful. I so very much appreciate the instructions and tips!!

LOL! No, there should be no reason for him to loose a finger if he uses the tool I mentioned for cutting out holes. Believe me I did trial and error on the best way to cut out the 5" holes, I even thought the 5" hole saw would be best tool ... NOPE!! One thing I that I think is not mentioned in my instructions is to set the 14" ball like on something round like a large bucket then he would turn the ball as he cuts around the hole, this way you have better control on the ball. I used a plastic 6" high thing that holds like a cake. You just want the round bottom of the ball to sit in it comfortably so it does not slip out from under you while cutting each hole. Maybe I need to revise my PDF Instructions a bit better before posting it. If you have questions about it, just ask!!

vanyasmom

Walking the driveway
@Jan thanks for the explanation. I haven't had my horses in a couple years. It was time for them to go to a holiday home for pensioner horses. Jake was 27 and Simon not too many years below that, and they had been pasture mates for 15 years, so I wanted them to be together. They went to Ocala. So I haven't looked at the horse toy version lately. That is unfortunate about Horseman's Pride.