1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where do they come from?

Discussion in 'Ringneck and other Keet Street' started by Doctress, 7/31/18.

1. Doctress

Doctress Strolling the yard

Well, we are thinking of adding to the flock. I'm putting my quest for a macaw on hold for now. We were discussing a smaller bird, and the IRN would be a great fit for us. Thing is, they aren't very prevalent in my area. The bird rescue Smoky Blue came from hasn't had any for a while, and that's over 3 hrs away.

- Has anyone gotten their IRN from an out of state breeder?
    - Is anyone a breeder in the south that may be able to help?

I'm not in a rush, just gathering information. I always find it strange when folks post that they "need" a bird "ASAP"... I'll find the right option when the time is right, just looking at where to start.

SandraK likes this.
  2. Chopper

Chopper Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award

Mary lynn Snowman
    I thought the same thing about IRN and then all of a sudden they seem to be every where.
    Just keep searching and they will show up.

Doctress likes this.
  3. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Michelle
    I wish you were closer. We have a lovely IRN at our rescue now. We get them here fairly frequently. Also, this is a very nice breeder here in PA. I'm not sure if he ships birds but he may. Silverniteaviary.com - Home

Doctress and SandraK like this.
  4. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

5. Feathered up

Feathered up Strolling the yard I Can't Stop Posting!

Jamie

Doctress likes this.
  6. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Vendor I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
    There are quite a few breeders here in FL. I will do some checking and pm you.

Doctress likes this.
  7. Doctress

Doctress Strolling the yard

I would be nervous shipping birdies- I'd be happy to drive anywhere and pick up a new friend. I've driven across the country 3 times with birds, so I know the routine!

@finchly - please let me know. My human flockmate lives in FL, I may be able to talk him into picking one up, or at least keeping me company on the drive to AR.

finchly likes this.
  8. MojoARN

MojoARN Strolling the yard

Sarah
    Keep looking for a rescue if you can. They may not be as tame as a hand raised but you'll be giving a bird a loving home.

Mine is rescue. I got him when he was 10 years old. He came to me sick and malnourished in a terrible cage...he's super grumpy, terrified of hands, but it is so nice knowing a bird from a bad situation can live out rest of their days in happiness!

Remember even though they smaller than other birds they do still need a large cage as they have long tails. My poor boy bit all his tail off as his cage was too small!

9. Dona

Dona Sprinting down the street

Dona
    Doctress says she isn't interested in shipping but I want to chime in say this is where I bought my linnie, Gigi. The owner, Brian, is awesome! The place is full of healthy and happy birds! I saw the IRNs when I was there a few weeks ago. I couldn't recommend him more!

10. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Vendor I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
    I have shipped Gouldian finches out to buyers, and shipped in a caique. It isn't nearly as bad as you'd think! They have to give them water every so many hours, and they check on them continually. They go into the cargo section so (at my airport) you have to drive to this little building. They all knew the bird's name and were talking to him when I got there. He wasn't even tired. After that experience I'm not nervous at all about shipping.

Tags:

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)