• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where do they come from?

Doctress

Strolling the yard
Well, we are thinking of adding to the flock. I'm putting my quest for a macaw on hold for now. We were discussing a smaller bird, and the IRN would be a great fit for us. Thing is, they aren't very prevalent in my area. The bird rescue Smoky Blue came from hasn't had any for a while, and that's over 3 hrs away.

- Has anyone gotten their IRN from an out of state breeder?
- Is anyone a breeder in the south that may be able to help?

I'm not in a rush, just gathering information. I always find it strange when folks post that they "need" a bird "ASAP"... I'll find the right option when the time is right, just looking at where to start.

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I thought the same thing about IRN and then all of a sudden they seem to be every where.
Just keep searching and they will show up.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I wish you were closer. We have a lovely IRN at our rescue now. We get them here fairly frequently. Also, this is a very nice breeder here in PA. I'm not sure if he ships birds but he may. Silverniteaviary.com - Home

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
- Has anyone gotten their IRN from an out of state breeder? - Is anyone a breeder in the south that may be able to help?[/QUOTE said:
I’ve done lengthy road to pick up birds but I’ve never had one shipped. Lots of very reputable breeders do it and I would probably call and discuss their experience with shipping. I’ve had one animal (a German Shepherd puppy shipped from Arkansas coincidentally). They put her on the wrong plane and sent her to Columbus Ohio! That was 15 years ago and I’ve refused to try it again.

For breeders in the south Texas, Florida and Georgia seem to be the hot spots for them at the moment. Tennessee May have a few. There are a couple of very good breeders in GA but I don’t think any of them ship. The breeder I obtained mine from does ship and while the little guy is healthy, I’m fairly certain he was force weaned and never handled once after weaning (information I obtained after I got him home) so I can’t in good conscience recommend this breeder.

Good luck with your search!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
There are quite a few breeders here in FL. I will do some checking and pm you.

Doctress

Strolling the yard
I would be nervous shipping birdies- I'd be happy to drive anywhere and pick up a new friend. I've driven across the country 3 times with birds, so I know the routine!

@finchly - please let me know. My human flockmate lives in FL, I may be able to talk him into picking one up, or at least keeping me company on the drive to AR.

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
Keep looking for a rescue if you can. They may not be as tame as a hand raised but you'll be giving a bird a loving home.

Mine is rescue. I got him when he was 10 years old. He came to me sick and malnourished in a terrible cage...he's super grumpy, terrified of hands, but it is so nice knowing a bird from a bad situation can live out rest of their days in happiness!

Remember even though they smaller than other birds they do still need a large cage as they have long tails. My poor boy bit all his tail off as his cage was too small!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know nothing about this place but they do have ringnecks:
The Parrots Nest Of Maryland - Availability
Doctress says she isn't interested in shipping but I want to chime in say this is where I bought my Linnie, Gigi. The owner, Brian, is awesome! The place is full of healthy and happy birds! I saw the IRNs when I was there a few weeks ago. I couldn't recommend him more!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have shipped Gouldian finches out to buyers, and shipped in a caique. It isn't nearly as bad as you'd think! They have to give them water every so many hours, and they check on them continually. They go into the cargo section so (at my airport) you have to drive to this little building. They all knew the bird's name and were talking to him when I got there. He wasn't even tired. After that experience I'm not nervous at all about shipping.