• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where do I go to get my cockatiel’s nails trimmed?

Moonrift

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Em
Hi! New cockatiel owner here :) I’ve had my baby for almost 2 months now. Everything’s been going great, except lately I’ve been noticing how long his nails have been growing out.
Should I take him to the vet or a pet store? Where do you guys usually go to trim your bird’s nails, and how often? Thanks!

Attachments

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I only trust my vet. I used to take Chirp to the bird store but after they let him loose and seeing the way they handled it- I was not happy. I lost all trust in them. The nail trim was cheap but my Chirpy is priceless. He's my son, and his safety is far more important.

At my vet, they have at the very least 3 doors between the exam area and the outside, and every time Chirp gets loose (which is almost every time because Chirp is a wiggly worm) my vet handles it very calmly and quickly. Chirp has never gotten out of the room. I have much more confidence in my vet, and I know he's in good hands.

It's more expensive but worth every penny. I don't take him in unless he needs it. You can tell if your bird needs a nail trim by setting him on a flat surface. Look at his feet. His toes should sit flat, with the tip of the nail on the flat surface. If the foot doesn't sit flat, the nails are too long. :)

Moonrift

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Em
I only trust my vet. I used to take Chirp to the bird store but after they let him loose and seeing the way they handled it- I was not happy. I lost all trust in them. The nail trim was cheap but my Chirpy is priceless. He's my son, and his safety is far more important.

At my vet, they have at the very least 3 doors between the exam area and the outside, and every time Chirp gets loose (which is almost every time because Chirp is a wiggly worm) my vet handles it very calmly and quickly. Chirp has never gotten out of the room. I have much more confidence in my vet, and I know he's in good hands.

It's more expensive but worth every penny. I don't take him in unless he needs it. You can tell if your bird needs a nail trim by setting him on a flat surface. Look at his feet. His toes should sit flat, with the tip of the nail on the flat surface. If the foot doesn't sit flat, the nails are too long. :)
Thank you so much for your advice, I think I’m going to book him a vet appointment sometime this week! :) by the looks of it, his nails are definitely overdue for a trim. I’ve noticed that whenever he tries to climb up my arm, his nails often get caught in the fabric of my clothes. How much do nail trims at the vet usually cost?

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Thank you so much for your advice, I think I’m going to book him a vet appointment sometime this week! :) by the looks of it, his nails are definitely overdue for a trim. I’ve noticed that whenever he tries to climb up my arm, his nails often get caught in the fabric of my clothes. How much do nail trims at the vet usually cost?
Oh man, it's been so long I don't even remember. His nails aren't long so I just don't worry about it until I see them getting long. I think it's like 25, 30 dollars? Which is a lot, but I only get that done once, maybe twice a year so it's not a huge deal.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Always the vet.

Once they have been trimmed, invest in a good pedi perch (one with a smooth side, that faces up) to keep the nails in check, it should help reduce vet visits ;)

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
I agree that an Avian Vet is the best place but before you do that why not try getting it different perches that are designed to trim their nails naturally. I have many different kinds of perches for my birds and 1 in each cage that are rough and designed to trim your birds nails when they use it. Something like a Pedi perch, it is rough everywhere but on the top, so nails get filed down when they use it but its smooth on the part where the pads of their feet are. You will be surprised how well these work and it will save you from taking your bird to the vet and going through nail trims.

Something like this SFB11001 Sweet Feet & Beak Safety Pumice Perch X-Small - SWEET FEET AND BEAK

Many places sell them, this is just one I found for reference.

Last edited:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Go to an avian vet. It's also a good opportunity for you to vet the vet - you can see what the vet's setup is like and how confident they are with birds now rather than when it's an emergency or when your bird is sick. If your bird is new it's a good idea to get a checkup ang=yway.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I agree- go to a vet. But make sure it's one with bird experience. Even for something like nail trimming, they still need to know how to handle birds. :)

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
I do any grooming myself, but you have to research and know exactly what you're doing, or you can easily cut the bloodline and cause a major bleed.

If you don't feel 100% comfortable, just take them to the vet, unless you know of a very reputable bird store. I wouldn't trust any other type of pet store.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
We are extremely fortunate here...our pet store (which is locally owned) does all of our nail trimming. They do an excellent job...

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Nail trims are every three months at the vet...my Hahns' back nails like to grow in curled around for whatever reason.
The range is 12-15 dollars depending on bird size. Plus you must have an annual exam to be able to bring in for nails.

Moonrift

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Em
We are extremely fortunate here...our pet store (which is locally owned) does all of our nail trimming. They do an excellent job...
That’s awesome! I was considering taking him to our local pet store to get his nails trimmed, but i’m a bit apprehensive about it..