• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where did you get your IRN from?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I hope to have her consistently and willingly stepping up to my hand by the 1st of March but will have to see if I can overcome her fear of touching or being touch by people.
Stepping up and on your hand is fine...please remember IRNs, as a rule, are not the most "hands-on" of species.

Titan, for example, NEVER permitted anyone to touch him...ever. He never bit anyone, either... if they attempted to pet or touch him, he'd run away from their hand..or fly to us and get away from the offending hand.

This being a fact, Titan was a perfect "birdie ambassador"....participating in countless pet therapy visits to many different venues here in the area. He started doing this when he was just a few months old, when I took him in to work with me...I was a Teacher Aide in a school for special needs students...

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy
Stepping up and on your hand is fine...please remember IRNs, as a rule, are not the most "hands-on" of species.

Titan, for example, NEVER permitted anyone to touch him...ever. He never bit anyone, either... if they attempted to pet or touch him, he'd run away from their hand..or fly to us and get away from the offending hand.

This being a fact, Titan was a perfect "birdie ambassador"....participating in countless pet therapy visits to many different venues here in the area. He started doing this when he was just a few months old, when I took him in to work with me...I was a Teacher Aide in a school for special needs students...
Titan sounds really interesting. I remember in grade school a man brought a huge scarlet macaw (at that age the scarlet macaw was bigger than most of us school kids) to school and showed it to us school kids. However that bird was complete tame and friendly. We were allow to hold it and pet it. I have always wanted one since then as it was the event that made me interested in a pet parrot to begin with, but I have to be practical. Maybe if I build an outdoor aviary in my back yard for warm days were it could fly I would get one in the future; but that's certainly not a need or a priority. I'd definitely adopt in that case though.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Titan sounds really interesting.
He was one of a kind. :)

One of my favorite stories about him is bittersweet.

His favorite person was my BIL, Marty, who lived with us. Titan would follow Marty around the house like a 4 inch green shadow, and they did everything together. Many a hour you'd see them both sitting at the computer, eating almonds.

Marty was diagnosed with cancer in 2015, and passed away in January of 2017. Titan visited his buddy often in the hospital and nursing home/ hospice. You could see a marked difference in Titan after Marty passed. When the services were held at the church for Marty, I brought Titan. The other attendees were a bit skeptical at first, with good reason.
Anyway, Titan sat with me for the entire service, with excellent behavior. He even began to "sing" (of course) during the hymns...he was saying "good bye" to his buddy in a very proper manner.

Just a few days after the services, Titan celebrated his 26th hatch day. Three days afterward, my wife called me to come quick, there was something wrong with Titan. When I got to his side, I knew that he was getting ready to leave this plane of existence. I gave him a quick kiss...and told him it was OK to leave and that Marty was waiting for him....then he was gone.

I know...to this day...somewhere, Titan is sitting on Marty's shoulder, looking at a computer screen, eating almonds together...:heart:

Last edited:

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy
He was one of a kind. :)

One of my favorite stories about him is bittersweet.

His favorite person was my BIL, Marty, who lived with us. Titan would follow Marty around the house like a 4 inch green shadow, and they did everything together. Many a hour you'd see them both sitting at the computer, eating almonds.

Marty was diagnosed with cancer in 2015, and passed away in January of 2017. Titan visited his buddy often in the hospital and nursing home/ hospice. You could see a marked difference in Titan after Marty passed. When the services were held at the church for Marty, I brought Titan. The other attendees were a bit skeptical at first, with good reason.
Anyway, Titan sat with me for the entire service, with excellent behavior. He even began to "sing" (of course) during the hymns...he was saying "good bye" to his buddy in a very proper manner.

Just a few days after the services, Titan celebrated his 26th hatch day. Three days afterward, my wife called me to come quick, there was something wrong with Titan. When I got to his side, I knew that he was getting ready to leave this plane of existence. I gave him a quick kiss...and told him it was OK to leave and that Marty was waiting for him....then he was gone.

I know...to this day...somewhere, Titan is sitting on Marty's shoulder, looking at a computer screen, eating almonds together...:heart:
Oh that's sad but it's good that Titan could be a comfort to you and the congregation in your time of loss.

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy
Today I've started keeping my IRN's pellets again full time in her feed cup again after she only ate almost 100% seeds out of my hands for the past couple days, almost completely ignoring the pellets there too. Her water was always full time in her cage of course. Pellets was all she was ever feed beforehand I was told when I bought her from the pet store. She is still not tame but getting there and it's clear to her and me she much prefers seeds to pellets so now she'll only get the seeds if she comes out of her cage and eats them out of my hand. That takes soooo much patience though.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...you're completely correct...it's going to take time and patience. IRNs are very intelligent...and can be a little stubborn at times...it's part of that independent streak they have...;)

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
me and Dora are eating sunflower seeds on a computer this very moment.

optimisticStar

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I live in KS and I didn't find any breeders around. I checked at rescue centers and presently even they don't have any. One of the rescue centers I think also has a rule to stay around in local area if I am getting a pet from there. I will be moving to California in next few months so not sure if they would be okay with me getting a bird from there since I wouldn't continue staying here.

If you know any breeders in California then please share. I don't mind directly getting it in California after I move since that would reduce the moving stress on bird and on me too since I already have 3 birds that I would be moving with.