• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When you're trying to teach them words

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
and they learn words... but not the ones you wanted.

I've been trying to teach Picasso to say "Thank you" and "I love you" and "I want some more. Today I'm pretty sure she called me a "wiener." I don't even know where she heard that word!

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
I understand totally, Ms. Ella the sweet thing that she is has been faithfully saying Peek-a-boo, last two days she has practiced many different ways to say it and one is Peek-a-Boob. :scared4: I am stating Peek-a-boo, 1000 times today to undo the other lovely way she wants to say the lovely fun phrase. :headsmack:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can reward your bird with verbal praise or a treat when she states something appropriately. Do you work with her on "thank you" and "I want more" when you are feeding her or giving her treats. Even though all of my birds have been exposed to "thank you" frequently only one will say it and use it appropriately. Many birds will pick and choose which words they like and what they want to say and how they want to say things. Remember that they can pick up words and sounds from the TV and radio, too.

A red-bellied parrot I had said, "Put (censored starts with an "s") in your eye." Have no idea where she came up with that one. She learned the cuss word from an African Grey during her 2-3 wk stay at the vet when she was ill but the grey never used the word in that phrase.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:lol:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
They learn what they want to learn:shrug::shocked4:. If something sounds exciting they will try it out.

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
If she had said "Oh heck*" or "Balls" or "G*dd*ammit!" then I'd understand.
But I can't think of a single time I've said that other word around her.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
:lol: I've tried to teach many things without success. They pick up what they want and usually things they understand the context of.

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
Newest one is "Want to go out?" followed by "Out! Go out! Out!" By which she means "stop what you're doing and take me on a walk."
The thing is... she'll say it no matter what the time or weather. For instance, 5 am while it's raining... 7pm while it's snowing...etc. And she means it.

Also, she's been saying "come here" for a while, but now she's adding "come on. Come on. C'mooo~on" in really coaxing tones.

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
We've finally got "Good Morning", and (much to our surprise) "Okay."
However, she's also decided that the best way to tell us she wants us to sing or whistle to her is to do her nail gun sound and then whistle repeatedly until we guess WHICH EXACT SONG it is she wants to hear.

jojomom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
mandy
I have never had much luck teaching Jojo to say what I want. She says what she likes and I reward what I hope she will repeat. Unfortunately her newest is "this is bull****". I've ignored it and she is saying it less and less.

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
We have our first unique combo!
She's taken "wanna go out?" and combined it with "right now!" (as in "come here right now" or "stop that right now") so that it goes "go out right now!"
Also, pretty sure I've heard her say "no!" twice in the last week.

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
So, Picasso has started saying "Good morning" to people on her walks.
She's also started saying "What?" in a really exasperated manner whenever the conure screams. (which is hilarious)
"No" has become "Nooooooooo!"
Also, she's started to sigh at me. Really drawn out "omg, you're bugging me" sighs.

Watching her gain new words in the most amazing thing in the world to me.

I need to get a video camera or something and try to catch her talking. She's got the cutest little voice.

ezra

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Margret
Does anyone catch their birds doing a microwave oven beep? Ezra does it all the time, in his raspy little budgie voice.

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
We don't have a microwave. She does the sound of trucks backing up, though.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
It normally takes Tyrion a week to learn new words and about 3 weeks to learn new phrases ...but he does like to pick up those bad words and say those quite often ...a couple of days ago was an Oh sh!t day all day long and he learned that from my neighbor from just a few visits ...If I want him to learn something I just say it over and over again during the day until he gets it ...he is very good at picking stuff up ..:)