• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures When you try to outsmart hubby…

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
A couple weeks ago hubby and I were at Petco and I saw this awesome fish I wanted. He said no way, and we left.

Normally, we discuss everything but this made me sort of mad. So yesterday my friend and I went to Petco and bought a small tank and my fish. We were giggling about sneaking it by him, and that I would put it in the art studio. The cashier looked at us funny and I asked her if we didn’t look old enough to buy our own fish if we wanted one!

When we got home He was standing there so she got his attention while I carried everything inside. Then I started to assemble the little tank – I’ve put fishtanks together for how many years?? But I couldn’t do it. So I ended up confessing so the engineer would help me.:rofl:

Meet Mr. Grumbles!

5172439E-A20F-42A3-BD0D-66E6749BE2FA.jpeg 834727B4-F8E1-401A-9043-B3A1BEDF1CBB.jpeg

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Wow he's pretty!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Oh he's so cute!!!! I love bettas so much... There's a reason my dad doesn't like me going to petco!! He's a beauty!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
There's a reason my dad doesn't like me going to petco!!
Yep! They had sooo many pretty ones there.

I got a tank with a filter but it runs so hard it sends him backward. I think I'll just run it a few minutes each day.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Yep! They had sooo many pretty ones there.

I got a tank with a filter but it runs so hard it sends him backward. I think I'll just run it a few minutes each day.
Maybe you could try baffling it? I did it for my betta and he seemed to like it. I got some Fluval filter sponges and just stuck one in front of the output. If you needed to you could tie it onto the output, just rinse it out every once in a while. That is, assuming you have a HOB.

(like these, but they have them in bigger and smaller sizes https://www.amazon.com/Aquaclear-20...30635314&sr=8-6&keywords=fluval+filter+sponge)

Also you could take a plastic water bottle, cut a chunk from the middle, cut a slit down the side and slide it on. A lot of people use that too, as long as you're okay with it not looking very fancy.

Betta filter baffle - Bettaboxx

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Those are great ideas. I know hubby has done this for me before, I was thinking he covered something with a fat rubber band. But when I said it he had no idea. We are having moments like that. It's best not to ask him to figure it out - but I will show him these posts! Thanks!

Here is my tank: Aqueon MiniBow Black LED Desktop Fish Aquarium Kit | Petco

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Those are great ideas. I know hubby has done this for me before, I was thinking he covered something with a fat rubber band. But when I said it he had no idea. We are having moments like that. It's best not to ask him to figure it out - but I will show him these posts! Thanks!

Here is my tank: Aqueon MiniBow Black LED Desktop Fish Aquarium Kit | Petco

csnake91

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chris
I had a tank that was the same brand, but it was 2.5 gallons. While I am not here to give you a lecture, most people will agree that 1 gallon is too small for a betta to thrive in, and the minimum is often considered 2 gallons but many people will say more. Anyway, what I did was use one of those "betta hammock" plastic leaf with a suction cup to divert the flow of the water into the closest side of the tank. It also helps to have the water level all the way up to the mouth of the filter, but some filters are too fast for that to help. BTW that is a really pretty betta! :heart:

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Hello Mr Grumbles, you handsome thing! No wonder you went behind the engineer's back! :hehe:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:crycry: Mr. Grumbles passed away. He showed no signs of sickness or anything.
I am so very sorry. Missed this thread previously and thought it was sweet that you got Mr. Grumbles. Sorry that he has passed.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Oh Tanya :sadhug2:I'm so sorry. We both know how fish are but it never makes it any easier, does it? Big hugs.:sadhug2:

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Oh no! I am so sorry.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
Aquariums need to be cycled before introducing fish to cultivate nitrifying filter bacteria, ammonia buildup otherwise often kills fish in the first two weeks of setting up the aquarium - that may have been to blame if he died shortly after purchase.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was gonna mention the cycling part. I'm so sorry for your loss. It was really pretty.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
So sorry, I never saw this thread when it was made, but he was gorgeous.
I love Bettas and they can have personality!
I believe they can recognize us and come to us if they feel like it.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
So sorry, I never saw this thread when it was made, but he was gorgeous.
I love Bettas and they can have personality!
I believe they can recognize us and come to us if they feel like it.
I completely agree. I used to raise them, and certain ones would come to the corner of the tank and wait for me. Mr. Grumbles would play a little game and chase my finger back and forth.

He lived 7 or 8 months. I didn't see anything recognizable that led to his death (like no ich, no wasting away or swim bladder problems, etc).