• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When and How to Introduce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiLS

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
I was wondering if anyone has information on introducing two macaws. As you know we recently got our new GWM baby who we have decided to name Ruby.:heart: We also have a 1 year old GWM named Buka. I am wondering at what age it is safe to introduce and how to go about it. Should I allow them to see each other before then without contact like through the slider door? I want them to get along well in the end and since I have never done Macaw introductions I thought I would ask the experts :).

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't say when would be safe for a baby. Generally speaking, I think it depends on the birds. But, I would wait until the baby was capable of defending itself from aggression or rough play.

The way I introduced Max and Sonny was to put them in cages side by side for a couple of months. At first I didn't let them out together, but eventually, I allowed them out at the same time. Weeks went by, and even though they could visit each other, they chose not to. One day, they just decided they were ready, and Max ventured over to Sonny's cage. That was all it took, and they became fast friends :) I think putting them in proximity with no actual contact for a while helps to ease them into it, and letting them decide when/how to make friends also helps. :)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Holiday has it right and after quarantine I wish you luck

wildirish

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tammy
I would agree, it seems to work better if they decide to visit each other. We have a couple that have buddied up and they chose the buddy and the time LOL! The age really depends on how each one reacts to the other.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Kathy (perfectlyparrot) please correct me if Im wrong!) had Einstein a Blue and Gold macaw for almost a full year before she brought home a baby BG (Winston), and they are great buds. I remember reading that Einstein HELPED to handfeed Winston, and that may be why they have such a great relatrionship :D

I recommend having him near the baby during handfeeding time. Have him on a playstand near you and baby, as you handfeed.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Kathy (perfectlyparrot) please correct me if Im wrong!) had Einstein a Blue and Gold macaw for almost a full year before she brought home a baby BG (Winston), and they are great buds. I remember reading that Einstein HELPED to handfeed Winston, and that may be why they have such a great relatrionship :D

I recommend having him near the baby during handfeeding time. Have him on a playstand near you and baby, as you handfeed.
Yes, that's what happened in that case. There's no guarantee, as you know, that would happen again. I'd proceed with caution...

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Yes, that's what happened in that case. There's no guarantee, as you know, that would happen again. I'd proceed with caution...
I understand that that doesnt happen in every case. But that is why it would be best to have Buka on a playstand near Ruby during the handfeeding process. I never said to just let him jump in and see if he will handfeed her or not, or see how he reacts at such close proximity ;) But I think its important for Buka to feel part of the handfeeding experience, even if he doesnt get contact with the baby.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.