• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When adult markings change...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm wondering for how long adult markings will change. For example, with a WC pionus, her white cap filled in during her first molt. But I was told Olive is 9 years old and in her current molt, her white cap is getting larger and filling in around her eye ring. I would have thought by now her cap would stay more or less the same. I'm wondering if maybe it is because she's getting a better diet now?

From this:
wcp2.jpg

to something more like this:
MuffinOnWireHead26K.jpg

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
My 11 year old DYHA is starting to get red scallopping on her yellow head feathers, so I'm not sure they ever stop changing colors or some colors can take longer to move in...

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have had whitecaps with all different size caps. Some just a few feathers, others a big white cap. Olive is beautiful!:)

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was just thinking if by 9 yrs her cap should stay the same, then maybe I would be able to better narrow down her age. I feel like the woman just picked a random number when she told me her age. Thanks though!

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I'm wondering for how long adult markings will change. For example, with a WC pionus, her white cap filled in during her first molt. But I was told Olive is 9 years old and in her current molt, her white cap is getting larger and filling in around her eye ring. I would have thought by now her cap would stay more or less the same. I'm wondering if maybe it is because she's getting a better diet now?

From this:
View attachment 95425

to something more like this:
View attachment 95416

That bottom image is my Muffin and it is on my website, what a good model you chose!! The white does get pretty close to the eye ring on them but they can all vary slightly. Don't know if it would be from a better diet or not, a better diet never hurts anything!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
One noticeable difference that I have found with Sachi is that the ring around her eye has turned an almost coral color where previously it was an off white color.:)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder