• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When a parrot laughs - is it to be taken literally?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I was just wondering if Blu really thinks something is fun/funny when he laughs?

He was trying to mate with my hand earlier this evening so I started trying to distract him by trying to flip him on his back, and he started laughing like a human. Which made me laugh. Which made us both laugh. Which made me wonder...did he really think it was fun/funny? Or was more of a mimic because he predicted that I was about to laugh?

Do birds laugh in context?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
In context is "considered together with the surrounding words or circumstances". So if a parrot laughs because it anticipates laughter - isn't that in context? It's understanding and reacting to the situation appropriately. Whether it is funny to the bird in that sense is irrelevant for that definition.

Jingo laughs when he's having fun or when I'm laughing. I think he finds himself hilarious to be honest :lol:

One time we were out late, and it was really dark in the house when we got home. First thing I did was check on the birds, get them covered, etc. Only Jingo wasn't in his cage. I started turning on lights saying, "Jingo? Where are you?" and I just kept hearing these giggles. I finally followed the giggles to where he was hiding on top of the cupboards in the kitchen and he was laughing his little butt off.

If that's not understanding humor, I don't know what is! :lol:

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Last night gcc Beni & Quaker JJ were on my shoulder allopreening and grumbling/talking to each other when someone on tv laughed. JJ started laughing and when I asked him what he was laughing about he started laughing harder. Which made Beni grumble laugh, Fred heard and started laughing (cause they laugh my laugh) which got me chuckling and JJ just started laughing more and more ...

d_msparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
he’ll call my cats over, throw food at them then laugh hysterically:roflmao:
OMG, that is a riot. What a stinker!!

I've noticed a couple times when sweetheart and I are laughing about something Waffle will join in. It reminds me of my 5 year old niece who doesn't understand what's funny but wants to be included!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He was laughing with you. Not at you. This time. :lol:

Laughing is just another word that many birds use in context.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
LOL mine once acted like she was going to give a kiss to a guest, then gave her a hard nip on the face. Of course, she started laughing hysterically at her “prank” (luckily the guest owned birds and was used to this...)

She also likes to bite, then say “ow” and start laughing like a little maniac. It’s even weirder that she laughs in my moms voice... but very high pitched. Delilah is usually a very sweet girl, but she seriously has a weird sense of humor!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Henry laughs too but not really in context. He loves to say " Uh Oh!"... especially if I drop something but his all time favorite thing to say is "Are ya hungry!?" sometimes followed by " You want some food?"

Astro tells me to "GET OUT!" everyday. Female green cheeks aren't known for talking. She used to say "Jesse" all the time but less now that our dog Jesse has been gone for 7 years. The get out comes from me telling the dogs to get out of their room when I go in. Emma likes to sneak in to see what food on the floor she can gobble up.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Do birds laugh in context?
Milton laughs all the time...and yes, in context!

Sometimes you have to wonder just how many human emotions birds can understand.

When we adopted Milton, we were given an 8 page "report" on him...written by his first owner's daughter. It told of his likes, dislikes, schedules, food preferences, etc.

On the last page, the phrase..."Milton adores happiness." That got me wondering what that meant. I soon found out...when "The Price Is Right" came on, Milty went nuts when he saw the contestants being happy...he'd sit quietly during commercials, only to start up when the ads were over.
I saw what they meant when they wrote the phrase...;)

Last edited:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
What a awesome thing to put in his likes and dislikes report and he proved it to be true. Lurch would double down on whatever emotion I was putting out there. If I was mad and upset he return it right back twice as hard, if I was happy he was happy and learning to calm down and be happy towards him when either of us were in a mood would help and calm him down a lot. They are little emotion receptors for sure.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
On the last page, the phrase..."Milton adores happiness." That got me wondering what that meant. I soon found out...when "The Price Is Right" came on, Milty went nuts when he saw the contestants being happy...he'd sit quietly during commercials, only to start up when the ads were over.
I saw what they meant when they wrote the phrase...;)
I know you’ve written about this before, but I never get tired of hearing it. I just love that Milton likes Happiness and the cheering on tv makes him so happy.:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:I think we can all relate to this. We all like happiness, but it’s so endearing when when a sweet, sensitive, innocent cockatoo can remind us how being happy is so important in life.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Your right that they do it in context... but they are sentient little fellas and I'm sure they enjoy seeing the reaction they get when you laugh as well! If they feel sadness from loss... Im sure they feel happiness as well! :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Well my Jason is quite a card. One time I heard him say "Jason's a good boy" followed by "nevermore" and maniacal laughter. You can't tell me he didn't know what he was saying and the implication. He did proceed to lunge for a bite right afterwards also.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
We all like happiness, but it’s so endearing when when a sweet, sensitive, innocent cockatoo can remind us how being happy is so important in life.
With all due respect...I don't think Milty is very innocent...;) :rofl::rofl::rofl:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
When Valentine goes to bed and the cage is covered, if I am watching t.v. and start laughing, so does she, when I stop she stops. (her laughs are chirps)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Come to think about it.. because I can hear Casey squawking... he laughs too ... even when he hears someone on T.V. laughing. Pretty darn cute. So I at least know the ladies who had him before me laughed and coughed a lot!