1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When a parrot laughs - is it to be taken literally?

Discussion in 'Behavior Byway' started by CrazyBirdChick, 8/12/18 at 10:52 PM.

1. CrazyBirdChick

CrazyBirdChick Rollerblading along the road

Diane
    I was just wondering if Blu really thinks something is fun/funny when he laughs?

He was trying to mate with my hand earlier this evening so I started trying to distract him by trying to flip him on his back, and he started laughing like a human. Which made me laugh. Which made us both laugh. Which made me wonder...did he really think it was fun/funny? Or was more of a mimic because he predicted that I was about to laugh?

Do birds laugh in context?

2. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor I Can't Stop Posting! BINGO CHAMPION POSTAHOLIC

Shawna
    In context is "considered together with the surrounding words or circumstances". So if a parrot laughs because it anticipates laughter - isn't that in context? It's understanding and reacting to the situation appropriately. Whether it is funny to the bird in that sense is irrelevant for that definition.

Jingo laughs when he's having fun or when I'm laughing. I think he finds himself hilarious to be honest :lol:

One time we were out late, and it was really dark in the house when we got home. First thing I did was check on the birds, get them covered, etc. Only Jingo wasn't in his cage. I started turning on lights saying, "Jingo? Where are you?" and I just kept hearing these giggles. I finally followed the giggles to where he was hiding on top of the cupboards in the kitchen and he was laughing his little butt off.

If that's not understanding humor, I don't know what is! :lol:

Last edited: 8/13/18 at 12:02 AM
  3. CrazyBirdChick

CrazyBirdChick Rollerblading along the road

Diane
    That makes total sense. Thanks Shawna! Jingo is such a character!
    :rofl:

4. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Vendor I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
    Glad you asked, I wondered this as well!

5. analliecat

analliecat Meeting neighbors

allie
    my arthur laughs constantly. he’s a little terror. he’ll call my cats over, throw food at them then laugh hysterically:roflmao:

6. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sandra
    Last night gcc Beni & Quaker JJ were on my shoulder allopreening and grumbling/talking to each other when someone on tv laughed. JJ started laughing and when I asked him what he was laughing about he started laughing harder. Which made Beni grumble laugh, Fred heard and started laughing (cause they laugh my laugh) which got me chuckling and JJ just started laughing more and more ...

7. d_msparkles

d_msparkles Sprinting down the street

OMG, that is a riot. What a stinker!!

I've noticed a couple times when sweetheart and I are laughing about something Waffle will join in. It reminds me of my 5 year old niece who doesn't understand what's funny but wants to be included!

8. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    He was laughing with you. Not at you. This time. :lol:

Laughing is just another word that many birds use in context.

9. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Vendor I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
    I started coughing awhile ago, so they all had a cough fest.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)