• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wheezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tango1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marty
Lately it sounds like Ricky, my Quaker, is making a wheezing sound. Is this normal or should I have him checked by a vet? I know my daughter's blue headed pionus wheezes, but that is normal for that breed. He's also starting to be aggressive which is completely unlike him.

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
A vet check is probably a good idea. Wheezing isn't a sound that Quakers normally make. Hope that all is well with Ricky. :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
a vet check is definitely in order if he is making a wheezing sound..he could have a respiratory problem.

Tango1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marty
I think I'll still have Ricky checked out by a Vet, but through doing some research, I have found out through other owner's of Quaker's that if you go toward the cage and they're in a persnickety mood, they have a tendency to hiss at you. That's letting you know they don't want to be bothered. The more I listen to him, the more I believe that that is what he's doing. He only wheezes (hisses) when I walk toward him and he doesn't appear to be in distress. Other than that, he's acting perfectly normal.
Thanks for your response.:cool1:

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
If it is wheezing, difficulty breathing, please get your baby checked out by a vet. Keep us updated.

Tango1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marty
Luckily Ricky is not having difficulty breathing. I'm stumped though. My sweet, even tempered Ricky has turned into a hissing, biting little dickens. He has never acted like this before. If I go toward his cage, he'll make that hissing sound and seems to get very agitated. He has always been so sweet and even tempered. Now he can't wait to get to me so he can bite me. Is this something that Quakers go through from time to time for some reason? I know he's been molting. Maybe he's uncomfortable. I want my sweet little Ricky back. Any ideas are very welcome.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
:confused:I have no experience with quakers, sorry. I hope someone here can help you. Good luck.

KenDRAGON

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kendra
I have no personal experience with Quakers either, but i have heard that they can get cage territorial. How old is Ricky and is he definitely a male?

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
Glad to hear that Ricky's breathing is OK. In our part of the world, it's getting to be the time of year where parrots' hormones usually start making a fuss. It may be that Ricky's aggressive behavior has something to do with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.