• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's your birds' schedule?

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
@alshgs Sounds like your babies have it made! What is out of cage time like with all the dogs in the house? I have one dog, and I feel like I can't have out of cage time without closely watching them. Also, do your babies tend to stay in one spot for long? Mine doesn't right now, but I think part of it is that he is still new to our home and exploring. I do hope setting up a well-thought out play area will change that a bit.

The dogs are out of the room when the birds are out, or either outside.
Mine are flighted so they fly everywhere in the house. I have to watch them more than my own kids, lol

Reactions: EPS

EPS

Meeting neighbors
Just rinse a lot! When I am home I rinse about every hour, not nessecary but I do when I can:D

My fids are not fond of mashed things, Fëanor does like it Sometimes but often not. Sadly they are not fond of whole veggies, just chopped up in small blocks. They do like skewered broccoli, and they(well, Fëanor) take a bite of almost everything I skewer, but they don’t eat a lot of it. It would be fun for them if they ate big pieces of veggies I think, but they think differently! Will keep being an annyoing mom and keel trying of course:D
I read somewhere of someone taking the tips of broccoli and making it seem like they were seeds! I think I am going to try that! It's funny how unique each individual bird is. The lovies I grew up with LOVED broccoli just as it is. I haven't tried mash yet, but only because finely chopped seems to work fine (even if it is with a sprinkling of seed).

EPS

Meeting neighbors
The dogs are out of the room when the birds are out, or either outside.
Mine are flighted so they fly everywhere in the house. I have to watch them more than my own kids, lol
Haha. I can see that happening, and only because of my own experience. That is why I had to ask!

My problem is that my dog knows when she is being sent away because the bird is out, and she is a cryer. It breaks my heart! So when Picasso is out, I'm doing my best to show them both love equally at the same time so no one is upset with another. And where we are, it is too hot for them to be outside for prolonged periods of time. Time of day is important, and making sure they are not overheating, etc.

Last edited:

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Mine aren’t cryers, thankfully. I’ve got 6 dogs though so they all have buddies!

It’s just a routine that we’ve developed over the years and it seems to work out good for us so far!

EPS

Meeting neighbors
Off top. But - baby is really digging into his pellets today! Yay!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I read somewhere of someone taking the tips of broccoli and making it seem like they were seeds! I think I am going to try that! It's funny how unique each individual bird is. The lovies I grew up with LOVED broccoli just as it is. I haven't tried mash yet, but only because finely chopped seems to work fine (even if it is with a sprinkling of seed).
Hey! There's a big push on veggie noodles and veggie "rice"! Pulsing cauliflower into "rice" and mix that with some seed. I don't know why you couldn't grate some veggies in a grater, mix together and mix with some seed. I'm going to try that! I wonder if I could use that, mix with some sweetpotatoe andmake veggie balls.....hmmmm.....good thing I have nothing else to do but wait on that brat of a bird! LOL LOL LOL

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
@Princessbella Haha! So do you feel that Bella is able to adapt pretty well to changes in schedule? I worry about that. Especially with out of cage time. But for Picasso it all just seems to depend on his moods. Some days he doesn't seem to notice he hasn't had out of cage time yet, and others he'll let me know that it's time.
Yes, because we have mini-routines when I need to go to work. She adapts because she is not a clingy bird. She wants her daily scritches but is also happy to play with her toys on top of her cage.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
They are uncovered about 9AM, they get soft foods like mashed sweet potatoes, mashed carrots and some form of Higgins worldly cuisines for about 2hours in the morning. They are allowed out for hour or so to play, but only one bird at a time. I have one of each sex and am trying to avoid the eggie business.
Afternoons, the other bird is allowed out to play. Dinner time is fresh greens and veggies. They are allowed play time until 7pm. Sweet Pea goes to bed about 7:30-8PM, Bebe is in bed by 9pm.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Canary mom here (is this thread bird specific?) lol

1)
Between 7:00 and 7:45 am: Uncovered, water and food boxes replaced.

8:00-9:30: out time while I do my own morning routine and eat my breakfast.

9:30 am to 12:45 pm: usually in his cage since I go ro the gym then run errands.

As soon as I get home: bath time.
-MWFSun:compelete cage cleaning
-MTThSat:clean entire bottom part of cage
-I give him fresh water

After bath time to 6:00 pm: out time while I study and do chores.

6:00 to 7:00 pm: cage time, Peeps returns to his cage on his own around that time, so I just close the door lol I cover the back half of his cage and gradually close the blinds.
Take out the veggie box.

7:30-8:00 pm (depending on the sunlight): Bed time. I completely close the blinds.
Either I go up to his cage holding his front cover, or he jumps up to his favorite swing perch on his own. He's got the routie done pretty well :)

2) he has toys in his cage, he likes to sing and hangout in his seed box as well.

3) he gets to fly around my room. He flies up the window blinds, my bookcases, my ceiling fan, and my laptop. I've also built him a jungle gym, which he likes to stand on and sing while watching the outside birds. I play bird music on either my phone or laptop so he flies and sings on me or my laptop. He also likes to run under my bed and explore. Ive opened half of my closet to him, so he now perches on a brach i installed in my bookcase, and chirp until I open the closet door. He likes to perch on the much clothes hanger lol

If he's hungry, he gets to choose between his cage and seed dishes. I have two seed dishes with different brands of seeds set up in two bookcases in the opposite sides of the room.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi- 4 month old Linnie.

Turn lights on at 7:30 AM. New pellets, fresh water and World Cuisine soft food with extras on top. Clean cage after first poop.

Mornings are different. Sometimes my grandkids are here, sometimes I am out and about. Anyone who is home stops by the cage and visits with Gigi often. We talk to her and she hangs on the side of the cage for pets. My husband often does his work stuff in her room.

Remove soft food before lunch.

After lunch, I put Gigi's cage in the living room and open the cage door. She hangs out on the door until she gets up her nerve to fly to me or to go to the play gym I made with rope perches and toys on top of the cage. Eventually she ends up on my hand and at least every other day we go to the bathroom for misting. After her bath, she hangs out with me, on my lap or hand, sometimes watching TV. Mid afternoon she goes back in the cage but again we often sit next to her and visit. We play the TV or music most afternoons. She plays and chirps along. On a few nice afternoons I have taken her out to our covered deck (in her cage) and she has sung along with the outside birds. She takes several naps in the afternoon.

At 7PM, I put her cage back into her room. I dim the lights at 8:30 and turn them completely off at 9.

Throughout the day, Gigi calls us with her trick whistles (wolf, come here and kiss). We respond and that encourages her to do it often. I am now saying "Pretty Bird" as well as "Fancy Wings!" when she stretches her wings and "Did you go poop?" when she poops. I sing songs to her constantly, substituting her name in, just like I did with my young kids.

Her cage has a variety of natural and rope perches and she easily climbs all around, not much flying, a little hopping. She has 4 toys normally and I rotate them a little. She plays a lot, buzzing and manipulating her toys. I see her little brain working as she gets her disco ball just where she wants it resting on her boing. She also has a toy with rings that she pulls up and threads a perch through. She loves her bells. She isn't much of a chewer but she occasionally chews on some of her perches.

She has a good life. :)

Last edited: