• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's up with this tail?

Hollywood8

Moving in
Real Name
Holly
So I have a question about my budgie's tail feathers. Around January or February he lost his tail feather. It looks like it is growing back in, but for some reason, he keeps losing premature feathers. What's going on? Should I be concerned? 1588200361759700054691.jpg 1588200422906877369152.jpg

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I would be concerned about some kind of feather condition. I think a vet visit is in order.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
That's a broken blood feather. Looks like either his cage is too small or too crowded in areas, snapping his feathers as they grow. A bit more space is needed imho.

Hollywood8

Moving in
Real Name
Holly
Have you been having him clipped? It is not natural for his tail feathers to keep falling out but does he loose other feathers or do they seem scraggly? How old is he?
His flight feathers usually get trimmed but I haven't lately. The other feathers aren't scraggly. I'm honestly not sure of his age. I got him from PetSmart in January of this year. They told me he was a girl because their store only had female animals. But when I started to research budgies, I soon learned she was a he!

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
That's an awesome cage!

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
It is an awesome cage. I will warn you about the swing in the cage. The bells rust very quickly, my experience and many others. Keep your eye on them and in the meantime look for another swing toy that would be better. I removed the bells and replaced them with other bells. That turned out to be a bad thing. My budgie got his toe caught in the loop that attaches the bell. Fortunately I was near by and got his toe uncaught and he wasn't hurt. Many people here will tell you that the vendors here have safe and wonderful toys. You can always ask them if the size is appropriate for a budgie. Their toys are a bit more expensive than the mass produced toys you find on Amazon or the big pet stores but you'll know they are safe for your budgies to play with and chew on. I hope you have a lot of fun with your budgies. Come back often and tell us how you're doing! Good luck with the tail feather issue.

i