• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's Up With My Amazon's 'Ugly' Feathers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
never thought of this until post above but while molting do they need any extra vitamins? Or are they ok the way they are? Sorry this is my first molt with birds.
If they are on a healthy diet, no added nutrition should be needed. It's pretty much the same idea as us losing hairs and growing new ones, or shedding our outside skin cells.

carolyn17603

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
carolyn
If they are on a healthy diet, no added nutrition should be needed. It's pretty much the same idea as us losing hairs and growing new ones, or shedding our outside skin cells.
thanks for all your help I appreciate it sorry for sounding so "needy" all the time. It just these are my first parrots and wanna do everything right and now im dealing with their first molt and breeding season. I still have so much to learn thats why im here. Thanks again to everyone.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Never say sorry! That's what we are here for!:hug8:

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
never thought of this until post above but while molting do they need any extra vitamins? Or are they ok the way they are? Sorry this is my first molt with birds.
I usually don't do anything special during a molt. But my birds eat a little bit of pellets and a lot of veggies. Sometimes if I have a bird that is really molting hard, I will give them a little bit of salmon(a teaspoon or less) and up the bean content and quinoa in their diet since feathers are mostly protein. I also do a little bit of plain calcium dust on the soft food a couple toimes a week since I don't offer a lot of pellets. Otherwise, the only time I give artificial vitamins is if I get a rehome that is on a bad diet or a hen in the middle of laying a clutch of eggs and I want to make sure she has enough vitamin D3 to absorb enough calcium since my guys all live inside and don't get access to the sun to make their own vitamin D3. You really have to be careful with vitamins to make sure they aren't absorbing too much. Having multiple food sources that are supplemented can over do it.

carolyn17603

Real Name
carolyn
I usually don't do anything special during a molt. But my birds eat a little bit of pellets and a lot of veggies. Sometimes if I have a bird that is really molting hard, I will give them a little bit of salmon(a teaspoon or less) and up the bean content and quinoa in their diet since feathers are mostly protein. I also do a little bit of plain calcium dust on the soft food a couple toimes a week since I don't offer a lot of pellets. Otherwise, the only time I give artificial vitamins is if I get a rehome that is on a bad diet or a hen in the middle of laying a clutch of eggs and I want to make sure she has enough vitamin D3 to absorb enough calcium since my guys all live inside and don't get access to the sun to make their own vitamin D3. You really have to be careful with vitamins to make sure they aren't absorbing too much. Having multiple food sources that are supplemented can over do it.
thanks. I am in the middle of switching them from all seed to pellets. So they are half and half right now. When I first got the birds I bought calcium powder thinking I needed it and used it a few times but quickly forgot to keep adding it in with their food. So I dont even add it since they went so long without it. But I did keep it in my bird box in case I ever need it. No reason to throw it out it was still good.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
i say your wrong if were losing hair our body is telling us something remember thes are not wild birds there not eating what they would if in there own area there eating difrent if feathers are in bad condision you need vitamons

doll

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
i say your wrong if were losing hair our body is telling us something remember thes are not wild birds there not eating what they would if in there own area there eating difrent if feathers are in bad condision you need vitamons

doll
I did say if they are on a healthy diet :)

We shed skin cells all the time. Actually, it makes up the majority of dust in our houses (ewww!) :D And everyone loses some hair. Now I've been losing a lot and it is due to my malnutrition from my pancreatitis. When you can't digest fat, you can't process fat soluable vitamins :( When I see my doctor Monday I am going to have him do a blood test for one of those to see how bad my levels are now. I may need vitamin injections now.

When birds aren't on healthy diets they produce poor quality feathers or ones with stress bars.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
if I was on my old comp id be able to show the difrence just 3 days made in giving sunshine factor in Mango i only gave it for 6 weeks and during molting i use it once a week it sure helps I like to think diet is good and i also know carefull with vitamins but lol we all need to give nature a helping hand once in a while

I sure hope your blood shows why and what will help stop you losing hair best of luck

doll

p/s hope you try sunshine factor it sure will help

starreys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sarah
my amazon is going through a big moult right now i mist her almost daily and give her more fruit , vegies and sprouts and very little pellets .Misting or showering is a must when they are moulting its uncomfortable especially the pin feathers on their head .

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I'm not sure what sunshine factor is. I'll have to look that up.

They do all have full spectrum lighting.

I'm actually surprised I'm not bald with all the hair I loose all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.