• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Whats up with Casper?

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
Casper had been acting kinda weird, a bit less energetic than usual, he also has these weird bumps around his fins, anyone knows whats up? hey its casper.jpg

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Looks like you got him from a bad batch, it looks like ichthyopthirius multifilius to me which is a freshwater parasite.
fish-disease- white-spot-neon.jpg

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Also known as white spot. Your local Aquarium shop will be able to sell you meds for this. I hope they work for Casper

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Yeah, looks like it could be ich. If you go to a local fish store (not a big chain, although that's just my preference) they will most likely have meds for it. I like Tetra Ick Guard, it worked very well for my betta when he had ich.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Wait i can tell you another method. Use your heater. Slowly raise the temp to 85 and keep it there. You can do this for up to 2 wk but usually 1 week does it for me. You can do this with or without medications.

Now here are the caveats. First, you HAVE to do water changes and also vacuum the gravel. What happens is the ich spores drop off and will recycle/reappear so you have to get them out. You do the water change and vacuum every other day. The other thing is if he seems to be suffering, put an air stone in to supply extra oxygen.

Once he’s been ich free for 3 days AND you’ve done your cleaning consistently, slowly lower the temp back down.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I agree with the heater method. The ich medications are pretty severe and will kill any invertabrates you have in the tank like snails and such as they usually have a lot of copper in them. I always used this method if I ended up with ich. From what I've heard you can also feed foods with garlic in them that is supposed to help get rid of it. I know you can get fish food with it in it already :) Usually its not the super cheap fish food but it'll help. I use to feed a few types of food to my fish so I would rotate that to them a few times a week to keep the ich away.

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
We didn’t catch the problem on time and unfortunately it got the best of him, R.I.P. Casper :crycry:
Thank you all for your help

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
If you have other fish in the tank you'll still likely need to treat the tank before adding any new fish.

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
If you have other fish in the tank you'll still likely need to treat the tank before adding any new fish.
He was our only fish, he was my brothers so he's deciding weather he wants another fish or a bird. If we do get another fish we will make sure to treat the tank

Sofro

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matilda
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about poor Casper!