• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's it like living with an African grey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cupcake

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
~Ann~
For the record, we both work full-time so Rigby is without our companionship for about 8 hours a day. We do have 3 cats and 2 dogs that keep her occupied while we are gone as well as her huge cage with lots of toys. For the most part she snoozes during the day and forages around for some snacks. She is out of her cage approximately 6 hours a day during the work week and up to 12 hours a day on weekends and vacation.

I would never say she is not a happy bird. For someone to say that you can't own a parrot because you aren't home 24/7 isn't being accurate. You can own a parrot but you need to take into consideration that they have needs and you need to meet those needs. If it isn't your company, they need to be challenged through toys, foraging or other pets to watch/talk to.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Bob and I bounded before he came home. He was my buddy. He would ask for head scratches by "whooing".
Oh, the wooing! Pogo would see my legs coming down the stairs in the morning & do a happy "Woo". At night, when I told him it was bedtime, he would do a sad "woo". It brought tears to my eyes. One sound, different tones and so obviously conveying feelings. :heart:

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
For the record, we both work full-time so Rigby is without our companionship for about 8 hours a day. We do have 3 cats and 2 dogs that keep her occupied while we are gone as well as her huge cage with lots of toys. For the most part she snoozes during the day and forages around for some snacks. She is out of her cage approximately 6 hours a day during the work week and up to 12 hours a day on weekends and vacation.

I would never say she is not a happy bird. For someone to say that you can't own a parrot because you aren't home 24/7 isn't being accurate. You can own a parrot but you need to take into consideration that they have needs and you need to meet those needs. If it isn't your company, they need to be challenged through toys, foraging or other pets to watch/talk to.
Someone had posted that it was preferable for a grey to have another grey as a companion, and the OP responded that the work schedules were such that someone would almost always be home. I was pointing out that work schedules are subject to change, not as a way of saying that only people who are always home should adopt a bird, but to suggest that the fact of eventually changing work schedules should be factored in.

Zoie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Zoie
I've never lived with a grey, but I want to note two things that are true with respect to any bird, IMO:

1. Work schedules change, and in all likelihood, you and your SO's work schedules will not always be such that someone is home all/most of the time.

2. A bird alone in a bird room is a bird who is alone, even if there is someone at home all the time.
This is true- but our jobs are solid and work hours won't change as my so is a teacher. Those hours never change lol. Either way, if something happened and school ended up going at night, my mil lives on the same street as us when we move and stays at home. So she's available 24/7 to bird sit. And he/she won't be left alone in a bird room all the time. That's silly. I wouldn't get a bird just to keep it alone in a room. The bird will have full roam of the house when supervised (at least 4 hours of the day)

Jazzysmama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I wish I had one to know what it's like living with one.:( They are precious.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
John, I know how much you loved Bob:heart: And each new bird has a different personality, history and hence, a different relationship, but we love them no matter what.

Chopper is a rehome who came to us at 10 years...he tolerates me yet is starting to really love my husband, but on his terms, not ours. He is so funny, entertaining, and just a joy to be around. He is very independent and entertains himself quite well. He loves anything shreddable...phone books keep him amused for hours. Anything foraging is a favorite, too.:) He sings, dances, whistles, talks, makes noises, etc....but never screams or yells. I just adore him. We have other birds so he does have companionship when we both work five days a week.

Zoie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Zoie
Someone had posted that it was preferable for a grey to have another grey as a companion, and the OP responded that the work schedules were such that someone would almost always be home. I was pointing out that work schedules are subject to change, not as a way of saying that only people who are always home should adopt a bird, but to suggest that the fact of eventually changing work schedules should be factored in.
And, we also plan to eventually get another bird and build our own aviary inside the bird room. The room is actually quite large. :) thanks for your concern though

Zoie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Zoie
John, I know how much you loved Bob:heart: And each new bird has a different personality, history and hence, a different relationship, but we love them no matter what.

Chopper is a rehome who came to us at 10 years...he tolerates me yet is starting to really love my husband, but on his terms, not ours. He is so funny, entertaining, and just a joy to be around. He is very independent and entertains himself quite well. He loves anything shreddable...phone books keep him amused for hours. Anything foraging is a favorite, too.:) He sings, dances, whistles, talks, makes noises, etc....but never screams or yells. I just adore him. We have other birds so he does have companionship when we both work five days a week.
That's great! :) I'm glad he's warming up!

Zoie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Zoie
Oh, the wooing! Pogo would see my legs coming down the stairs in the morning & do a happy "Woo". At night, when I told him it was bedtime, he would do a sad "woo". It brought tears to my eyes. One sound, different tones and so obviously conveying feelings. :heart:
Awwww! That is absolutely soo cute!

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
This is true- but our jobs are solid and work hours won't change as my so is a teacher. Those hours never change lol. Either way, if something happened and school ended up going at night, my mil lives on the same street as us when we move and stays at home. So she's available 24/7 to bird sit. And he/she won't be left alone in a bird room all the time. That's silly. I wouldn't get a bird just to keep it alone in a room. The bird will have full roam of the house when supervised (at least 4 hours of the day)
I wasn't thinking in terms of the hours of the person who works during the day changing - there are a number of professions which always work office/school hours. :) Second and third shift work tends to be subject to changing shifts over the years though, IME.

But that's kind of beside the point - if s/he is going to be out four hours a day, it sounds as though you're basically going to have the same situation as a solitary bird whose caretakers work the same hours and are home only in the evenings, not a bird who has someone home all day. If s/he is able to be out in a secure bird room, that's a considerable benefit, of course, aside from the companionship issue raised by the other poster. :)

Last edited:

Zoie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Zoie

I'm glad you guys found something that works for you!:) oh of course, I've factored in the social needs of a parrot- so she/he will have TONS of toys, and tons of social time!:)

Zoie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Zoie
I wasn't thinking in terms of the hours of the person who works during the day changing - there are a number of professions which always work office/school hours. :) Second and third shift work tends to be subject to changing shifts over the years though, IME.
Ahh, well thanks for the advice/concern anyways. :)

LunaMoona

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brittany
I have had my CAG, Luna, for over a year now.. shes around a year and a half old. She is everything that I had hoped a grey to be one day. She is so spirited, has a HUGE personality and loves to play and already tries talking up a storm. Shes actually pretty inquisitive and pretty brave around new people or toys/things. I am still very young, so I do have to work or go to school... but whenever I am home she is ALWAYS out of her cage and she is in the room where I spend 90 percent of my time. I give her lots of undivided attention everyday, and she doesnt seem to mind when I am gone. I also have a GCC.. which is the bird I started with. His cage is a little ways off from hers, but he is still there for company as another bird in the house.. and they definitely like to whistle and talk to each other during the day.
I would say that having a grey takes lots of dedication and commitment. It always breaks my heart to see people purchasing greys without really learning about them or being ready for the challenge of owning one. She is so smart, so I am always sure to give her lots of toys and new items to keep her engaged, because I think thats what she deserves. I dont know how to put into words how much I love her though!! I definitely recommend getting a CAG if it is your dream bird and you are ready!! :heart::heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.