• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's it like having a Cockatoo?

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Dexter is a lot like other 'toos I've met...very reserved around people they don't know. Milton is much more reserved when there are people he doesn't know in the house. Outside the house, he likes to be a social butterfly...the exact opposite...
He still steps up and lets them touch him, (while I watch him very closely in case he gets nervous, I don't want him to bite or have a bad experience) but yeah, he gets dead quiet. I took him to a pet expo in Saturday (I'm training him to be a therapy bird) and I swear he said bye to someone! If that is what he intended, that was his first word. During the entire expo, he didn't raise his crest even once.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Good for Dex!

That's great that you're going to have Dex become a therapy bird. Like I said somewhere else on another thread, I looked into the possibility of Milton becoming a therapy animal here. The problem is there are no real rules and regulations on how to certify a bird...at least here where I live...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used to take Keno along with a few other birds to schools to teach the students about birds. She was always well behaved except for one time when the principal of the Kindergarten school walked by her carrier and Keno screamed loudly. It scared the principal and I felt bad about that but the principal turned out to be a jerk and deserved to be screamed at. Cody is skittish around unfamiliar people and that's my fault. I didn't have a lot of people around when she was a baby.
Keno will entertain people by jumping, dancing, and talking. She is very much the clown. They both like being scratched and Cody will lay her head in the palm of my hand. She loves telephones and if she sees me on the telephone and I walk by without giving her the chance to talk on it she starts screaming.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
We met a large, but beautiful Cockatoo in a pet store one time
This is why I have a cockatoo, actually. When I was little, I saw a huge white bird in a pet store one day, and thought it was an owl. This was the 70's or early 80's - not a lot of parrots around then. I swore that one day I'd have one of those owls! Now I know it was a wild-caught umbrella. Then many years later, when hand-fed babies were all the rage, I found Beaker, and it's been true love ever since!!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Trust me, I'm not asking because I'm thinking of getting one of these birds. I was just curious as to what it is like having one.

We met a large, but beautiful Cockatoo in a pet store one time. He wasn't caged, and was just hanging out on his play stand. He seemed well bahaved. He was just staying in his area and had toys to keep him busy. He also liked humans, and would step up on our arms and sit there. He didn't bite either, but kept playing with parts of my mother's jacket. They also had a few Macaws, which pretty much acted the same. Anyways, my older brother fell in love with the Cockatoo and wanted to take him home, but my parents, of course said no, luckily. I'm glad they did, as my brother knew nothing about Cockatoos and still doesn't and the poor bird probably would've ended up being rehomed immediately due to their expensive needs, demanding personalities, and extremely loud voices. Plus, this is my brother we're talking about, the one who is constantly complaining about how loud my Budgies are. I got to admit, they can get loud at times, and it isn't pleasant to the ears, but it is not nearly as bad as the screams of a Cockatoo. My brother still talks about this specific Cockatoo we met in the pet store, and still says how he wishes he had brought it home. Whenever he does I remind him that if he can't handle the occasional loud squawks of 2 Budgie parrots, there is NO WAY he would've been able to handle a Cockatoo's screams!

Anyways, that's about the only time I've spent time with and played with a Cockatoo before (the Cockatoo actually seemed well cared for considering he was at a pet store called Pet Land). He was a sweet bird, but I wouldn't be able to handle a Cockatoo. So, what's it like living full-time with these beautiful, but demanding parrots?
He sounds like a baby cockatoos or young adult.

Most pet stores have young birds, not older ones. However when they do have older ones, its either they're being boarded or rehomed. And a pet store environment is not their home. So they will behave in a well mannered fashion - for the most part.

Rachel Karfit

Sitting on the front steps
There is never a dull or quiet moment in the house. If there IS a quiet moment be suspicious, because the 'Great White Grokker' is likely gleefully tearing up something she shouldn't be tearing up.
Weird sounds abound. My 'too is a 30 year old rescue and is going through a rough adjustment phase in a totally new home with new people and a new schedule. It's hard on everyone. Yesterday she screamed absolutely nonstop. Hubs took a week off to finish remodeling one of the bathrooms and told me that he was ready to go mental due to Lulu's screams. Honestly, she doesn't stress me too much. She is doing what she does. Her previous owners coddled her temper tantrums and I'm having to re-train those bad habits and establish new boundaries. I understand this. I have a lot of earplugs and patience. :canthear: The messes are pretty big too. Lots of poo to clean up! Lots of shredded wood and paper and toys! I swiffer dust the living room every other day because of her birdie dander. I don't mind that. Needed to dust more anyway!
Get ready for some potential mood swings! Most days she is sweet on me and wants nothing to do with my spouse. Today was the opposite, which is good because he's still at home remodeling the bathroom! I think she's still cheesed off at me for making her go night-night a bit early yesterday. We all tucked in early because we were pooped. Yay bird grudges! :rolleyes: Speaking of which... Those bites are painful. Lulu hasn't chomped anyone yet, but she does deliver nips when she is overstimulated or frustrated. It's scary to have a beak that big next to your face or your hands, I won't lie to you!
Then again there is playtime and dancetime! I have never laughed so hard while playing with a companion animal as I have with this crazy bird. Some of the things she says, the way she says them, and her mannerisms are very funny. Sitting on the chair with a mumbly 'too snugged up under your arm is a great way to end the day. Getting to the end of the day, however, can be a real trial for both bird and humans.

Wonderbird

Meeting neighbors
Near death experiences is pretty accurate in some cases :lol:I have not been owned by a cockatoo yet, even though they're my dream bird :D At the rescue I visit every so often, the workers have said that they are definitely demanding and LOUD pets, but they are definitely worth it if you're willing to put in the effort to keep them happy and healthy :)

Rachel Karfit

Sitting on the front steps
Wonderbird, 'toos have been my dream bird also. I knew what I was getting into with the noise, behavior and mess after spending lots of time with a coworker who shares her home with an M2 and two U2s. All 3 rescues. Her male U2 was seriously abused and it's been a long road for both bird and parront. Just learning all of his triggers was a Herculean task in itself, and some of them were very disturbing and heartbreaking, like his fear of all brooms and mops... To me it is worth it. Every bit of effort and time. I say it now as a new 'too keeper, and ask me again in 10 years and I'll give you the same answer.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is a pretty general question to try to answer. I would have to say its like having any pet. You have annoyances, challenges and successes. The cockatoo snuggles are awesome. But some people have aggression problems with their birds, so you may never trust 100% that the bird isn't going to reach up mid snuggle and give you a free piercing. I don't find my cockatoos to be that much of a challenge currently. But I've weathered the first 5-8 years already and we've settled into a nice routine.

The first several years seem to be the most challenging for most people. I'm not sure it makes that much of a difference if the bird is rescued or purchased as a baby. There is a learning curve that you can't really appreciate until you are in the middle of it. On the surface my typical day with a cockatoo is rather like having a dog. Wake up, give the bird a scratch, get ready for work and leave, come home to a screaming excited bird that won't shut up until I chop up the veggies, bird eats fresh food while I cook my own supper or get some things done, then an hour or so of cuddle time, then bowl clean up and go to bed. Repeat tomorrow. Hang new toys frequently, add foraging opportunities to meals. But, that doesn't say much about all the small challenges that had to be overcome to reach that happy medium.

Things like learning both my cockatoos would like to bite me in the morning, so I need to watch my fingers in the am. Learned that by bleeding. Learned about managing fear behaviors and aggression by having my heart broken, bleeding, problem solving, patience, and determination. Learned about proper food presentation and what works nutrition wise by trial and error and experience and wasted money. Learned that my birds are unpredictable around other people and to warn everyone to expect the unexpected and keep your face away from the cockatoos. I have a routine that keeps the peace. Some people can't manage the routine because of the personalities of those in the household and they feel they need to get rid of the bird. So what is simple for me because I stuck with it and problem solved can seem like an insurmountable problem to people who have have quit as an option for themselves. Learned to keep cockatoos off floor because of foot chasing, plus dog and cat chasing. No cockatoos on floor makes life way easier. Learned to manage plucking by trial and error with sleep cycles, holistic medicine and lots of money spent at vets. In short I now have two very nice looking cockatoos that rarely make me bleed, rarely scream and are generally a joy to live with. I know through experience how to keep the routine simple but get the job done with minimal fuss. My cockatoos contribute the least amount of chaos to my house compared to the macaw, dogs and amazons. You just learn and problem solve your way through it and don't let the setbacks ruin the joys. I'm not sure why that is such a problem for so many people.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
My wife has a great analogy regarding most aspects about fids and goes something like this... "Just because there are rocks on the road, doesn't mean you have to pick em up an hit yourself on the head with em" ! Just an observation on my part! :rolleyes:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
My wife has a great analogy regarding most aspects about fids and goes something like this... "Just because there are rocks on the road, doesn't mean you have to pick em up an hit yourself on the head with em" !
I love that! Will your wife mind if I use that quote?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I took him to a pet expo in Saturday
I didn't like reading this. Please don't take your bird where there are other birds around. Just asking for trouble.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I didn't like reading this. Please don't take your bird where there are other birds around. Just asking for trouble.
I made sure there were no bird related vendors there. Also messaged the expo about birds, and they told me I was the first person to bring a bird there ever.the expo has been held by them for seven years.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
That is a pretty general question to try to answer. I would have to say its like having any pet. You have annoyances, challenges and successes. The cockatoo snuggles are awesome. But some people have aggression problems with their birds, so you may never trust 100% that the bird isn't going to reach up mid snuggle and give you a free piercing. I don't find my cockatoos to be that much of a challenge currently. But I've weathered the first 5-8 years already and we've settled into a nice routine.

The first several years seem to be the most challenging for most people. I'm not sure it makes that much of a difference if the bird is rescued or purchased as a baby. There is a learning curve that you can't really appreciate until you are in the middle of it. On the surface my typical day with a cockatoo is rather like having a dog. Wake up, give the bird a scratch, get ready for work and leave, come home to a screaming excited bird that won't shut up until I chop up the veggies, bird eats fresh food while I cook my own supper or get some things done, then an hour or so of cuddle time, then bowl clean up and go to bed. Repeat tomorrow. Hang new toys frequently, add foraging opportunities to meals. But, that doesn't say much about all the small challenges that had to be overcome to reach that happy medium.

Things like learning both my cockatoos would like to bite me in the morning, so I need to watch my fingers in the am. Learned that by bleeding. Learned about managing fear behaviors and aggression by having my heart broken, bleeding, problem solving, patience, and determination. Learned about proper food presentation and what works nutrition wise by trial and error and experience and wasted money. Learned that my birds are unpredictable around other people and to warn everyone to expect the unexpected and keep your face away from the cockatoos. I have a routine that keeps the peace. Some people can't manage the routine because of the personalities of those in the household and they feel they need to get rid of the bird. So what is simple for me because I stuck with it and problem solved can seem like an insurmountable problem to people who have have quit as an option for themselves. Learned to keep cockatoos off floor because of foot chasing, plus dog and cat chasing. No cockatoos on floor makes life way easier. Learned to manage plucking by trial and error with sleep cycles, holistic medicine and lots of money spent at vets. In short I now have two very nice looking cockatoos that rarely make me bleed, rarely scream and are generally a joy to live with. I know through experience how to keep the routine simple but get the job done with minimal fuss. My cockatoos contribute the least amount of chaos to my house compared to the macaw, dogs and amazons. You just learn and problem solve your way through it and don't let the setbacks ruin the joys. I'm not sure why that is such a problem for so many people.

Loved this post.

I wonder who else has cockatoos who are most likely to bite in the AM?

Myself, my birds are most likely to bite in the PM when its within the last hour before they go to bed. They get so antsy and excitable.

In the morning, I wouldn't be able to tell a cockatoo from a marshmallow.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton never has bitten in the AM. It's like he's got to get "warmed up" to bite...

In the morning, I wouldn't be able to tell a cockatoo from a marshmallow.
Also true here...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Fortunately, so far Elvis hasn't bitten. But if it were to happen, I would guess evening too as he gets more worked up as he gets tired. Kind of like a kid. LOL. Mornings, he's an angel birdie.

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Yep, same here. Elvis is subtle and sweet in the AM...the evenings?...let's just I HAVE to take him for a harnessed fly session or I cant turn my back on him....:sneaky: