• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's it like having a Cockatoo?

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Trust me, I'm not asking because I'm thinking of getting one of these birds. I was just curious as to what it is like having one.

We met a large, but beautiful Cockatoo in a pet store one time. He wasn't caged, and was just hanging out on his play stand. He seemed well bahaved. He was just staying in his area and had toys to keep him busy. He also liked humans, and would step up on our arms and sit there. He didn't bite either, but kept playing with parts of my mother's jacket. They also had a few Macaws, which pretty much acted the same. Anyways, my older brother fell in love with the Cockatoo and wanted to take him home, but my parents, of course said no, luckily. I'm glad they did, as my brother knew nothing about Cockatoos and still doesn't and the poor bird probably would've ended up being rehomed immediately due to their expensive needs, demanding personalities, and extremely loud voices. Plus, this is my brother we're talking about, the one who is constantly complaining about how loud my Budgies are. I got to admit, they can get loud at times, and it isn't pleasant to the ears, but it is not nearly as bad as the screams of a Cockatoo. My brother still talks about this specific Cockatoo we met in the pet store, and still says how he wishes he had brought it home. Whenever he does I remind him that if he can't handle the occasional loud squawks of 2 Budgie parrots, there is NO WAY he would've been able to handle a Cockatoo's screams!

Anyways, that's about the only time I've spent time with and played with a Cockatoo before (the Cockatoo actually seemed well cared for considering he was at a pet store called Pet Land). He was a sweet bird, but I wouldn't be able to handle a Cockatoo. So, what's it like living full-time with these beautiful, but demanding parrots?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
You ask a good rhetorical question...one which I almost always get asked when we go out visiting with our birds. I have an answer...having a cockatoo in your life is having a BIRD with the intelligence of a five year old human, the temper of a two year old human, with a can opener on their face...for sixty years.

I know that might be over-simplified a bit, but it does speak to the essential truth...

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I am so glad that you were there to give your brother that much-needed reality check. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
1 adult cockatoo = 1 three year old very hyperactive, athletic child with severe A.D.D. Who walks around with pliers and never grows up. This handicapped child will be with you for the rest of your life. He will probably outlast you.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I love my little cockatoo, she is so fun!
I was just thinking last night, if something ever happened to her, what would I do? She is my playmate!

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
I'll speak about my guy and the guys at the parrot sanctuary, which aren't mine, but I've gotten to know all the same. I'll kinda roll it into one.

On the outside looking in, I think the first things you see are loud, cuddly, and ... Different. For me at least.

Being in the fold, it's a lot of weird, strange behavior and never ending energy, the 'cuddly' isn't that fun- it's actually kind of annoying and bad, a lot of unpredictability - and not necessarily bad, he randomly started swinging upside down on his T-perch when I was trying to bring him back to his cage- but it can be- mine bit my face the other day, very strong nutcracker beaks that assume you have feathers, little kid voice that can turn into either a noise out of a horror movie when you have the volume cranked up way too high, or a jet taking off ( depends- are we talking little too or big too ;) ) , a good portion worrying if you've done enough of a good job, it's either fun , or really not- which depends entirely on you and how you take the situations handed to you , and at the heart of it: a really weird bird that feels half way human but you know that's you anthropomorphizing..

Some of the time it's sorta like any other parrot. But then it's not. Then you're reminded - oh.. yeah- cockatoo.

It is a lot like having a child, I think, I have never had a child, but the descriptions seem to match up :) - which I think can be said for a lot of parrots , but cockatoos most definitely fit the bill.

Best part is my too is still a juvenile lol. A lot of this will change- it'll probably get a heck of a lot harder.

I like it. But I wouldn't reccomend it.

EDIT: Oh yeah! They destroy everything :D

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm newish to the cockatoo world. I have a goffin. He is a clown. He loves to make you laugh and if he does something you think is funny, he will do it repeatedly for the attention. Which also means it's very important not to laugh at something you don't want him to do again. He's very smart. And very destructive. We go through a large amount of toys and he makes a huge mess. I really wasn't prepared for the mess. Lol. He is affectionate when he wants to be. He's a pretty good talker and an excellent screamer. We just went through a hormonal period and the screams were loud, constant and enough to drive you insane. My fiancé who really does love Elvis, threatened to put him in the basement. (He really wouldn't have- but he was getting exasperated by the ear-splitting non-stop screaming.) He is full of energy and is almost constantly in motion unless he's sleeping. I'm fortunate because he's not a biter, although I expect there will be a day when I do get bit. I am fortunate because I think for a goffin he is actually one of the more easy going. We have a number of goffins up for adoption at the rescue that I volunteer with. I think that speaks volumes about how challenging these birds can be. I love Elvis and enjoy him very much but I would encourage anyone thinking about getting a cockatoo to foster one first to see what they're getting into before adopting one. They are not for everybody.

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
Exactly like a messy and demanding toddler. I have it easy. My pink toos are a delight, Low energy, Loud only once a day during play, predicatable, and a huge joy. But....I am home all day long and my hours belong to them. They have a set schedule, are not caged except at night, fresh food meals twice a day, scheduled bedtime, Cleaning once a day at least, and they go through toys like it’s their job to destroy them. Now my white cockatoo I had was a different story. He could not self entertain. If he was out he was swinging on me, nibbling on me, hanging from a pant leg. He was a ball of energy but he was a love. Never showed aggression, hilarious, decent talker but had a kinda obnoxious contact call. He wasn’t a chewer really but loved to swing like a crazy man from his cage toys which unfortunately led to his death when he managed to tangle in them. The pink girls I have now don’t have a fraction of the energy and high demand for one on one attention that my goffins/bare eyed had. On the flip side the girls independence may be a turn off to someone who wants a Velcro bird and is up to the challenge. My pink girls aren’t cuddly. Jazzi does love head scratches and will sit for hours for those. Layla will ask for a head scratch here and there and then give you sass to let you know she’s done. Lol

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I love my cockatoo - I can't imagine my life without her. I've had her for 27 years, and she's one of my best friends. I don't know how I lucked out with her, but she's an easy keeper, at least for us!! She loves music, and can go from sitting as still as a statue to totally "rocking out" in just a second or 2. She does nag a bit at times, especially when she sees cereal, crackers, chips, or something that has that "crunchy" packaging. She lost most of her beak to an accident with the heater in her brooder when she was a chick, so she eats a soft diet. I think she's pretty unique after listening to so many bad experiences from other cockatoo owners.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Trust me, I'm not asking because I'm thinking of getting one of these birds. I was just curious as to what it is like having one.

We met a large, but beautiful Cockatoo in a pet store one time. He wasn't caged, and was just hanging out on his play stand. He seemed well bahaved. He was just staying in his area and had toys to keep him busy. He also liked humans, and would step up on our arms and sit there. He didn't bite either, but kept playing with parts of my mother's jacket. They also had a few Macaws, which pretty much acted the same. Anyways, my older brother fell in love with the Cockatoo and wanted to take him home, but my parents, of course said no, luckily. I'm glad they did, as my brother knew nothing about Cockatoos and still doesn't and the poor bird probably would've ended up being rehomed immediately due to their expensive needs, demanding personalities, and extremely loud voices. Plus, this is my brother we're talking about, the one who is constantly complaining about how loud my Budgies are. I got to admit, they can get loud at times, and it isn't pleasant to the ears, but it is not nearly as bad as the screams of a Cockatoo. My brother still talks about this specific Cockatoo we met in the pet store, and still says how he wishes he had brought it home. Whenever he does I remind him that if he can't handle the occasional loud squawks of 2 Budgie parrots, there is NO WAY he would've been able to handle a Cockatoo's screams!

Anyways, that's about the only time I've spent time with and played with a Cockatoo before (the Cockatoo actually seemed well cared for considering he was at a pet store called Pet Land). He was a sweet bird, but I wouldn't be able to handle a Cockatoo. So, what's it like living full-time with these beautiful, but demanding parrots?

I was considering making a thread like this yesterday! I was also curious what it was like, but just because I was curious and not because I want to adopt one, at least not for decades to came anyway! I am loving this thread btw:D

Last edited:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I was considering making a thread like this yesterday! I was also curious what it was like, but just because I was curious and not because I want to adopt one, at least not for decades to came anyway!
If they are yellers, it is kind of tough, but you need a few years of experience building up your patience.
When I had both Lucky and Coco, the first 6 months was so stressful. Lucky Lou screamed whenever she wanted something. Christmas was my breaking point, I nearly threw in my hat. Then I realized how sick she was, she really was going to die, I just resigned myself to giving up my life to make her happy.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For me, my Bare Eyed and Goffin's are just like most of my other birds except they are louder (although the YNA can be VERY loud) and dustier. I have other birds who are very mechanical and take things apart and other birds who are more destructive when it comes to toys. I have other birds who can compete with my Goffin's when it comes to being escape artists. I've never considered either of my 'toos to be major challenges or demanding (knock on wood). I do have to be careful with BE Cody because she is prone to stress seizures but that's an individual thing and not a 'too thing, IMO. Keno, Goffin's, is generally easy going. Both 'toos are sometimes afraid of new objects but then so are some of my other birds. They are both silly and can talk but then so are most of my other birds.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I love my cockatoo - I can't imagine my life without her. I've had her for 27 years, and she's one of my best friends. I don't know how I lucked out with her, but she's an easy keeper, at least for us!! She loves music, and can go from sitting as still as a statue to totally "rocking out" in just a second or 2. She does nag a bit at times, especially when she sees cereal, crackers, chips, or something that has that "crunchy" packaging. She lost most of her beak to an accident with the heater in her brooder when she was a chick, so she eats a soft diet. I think she's pretty unique after listening to so many bad experiences from other cockatoo owners.
Don't tell anybody but I have a little angel TOO (pun intended) because it will ruin their hideous reputation.

Amanda (30 years old)
249EA6F3-46AB-4734-8066-7232BAE718B1.jpeg

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If they are yellers, it is kind of tough, but you need a few years of experience building up your patience.
When I had both Lucky and Coco, the first 6 months was so stressful. Lucky Lou screamed whenever she wanted something. Christmas was my breaking point, I nearly threw in my hat. Then I realized how sick she was, she really was going to die, I just resigned myself to giving up my life to make her happy.
That's why you are an Angel and we all love you..

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
My Dexter is only 7 months, but he already is a lot like most parrots. Once he's grown up, though, I'm sure he'll go crazy. Baby 'toos are deceiving sweet, they seem calm and cuddly. If Dexter stayed this way, he'd be a "perfect" bird. Cuddly, playful,active,smart and not that loud. I have yet to hear Dexter scream, but I'm prepared to ignore it should be try. His bites have yet to even ever break skin. It is very easy to think this is forever, as your brother does after seeing the cockatoo at the store. He thinks (most likely) that the cockatoo he met is different, so he doesn't want to listen.
You can cuddle and play with a tiger cub, but that won't be wise when it is grown up. animals change as they age. Dexter also behaves differently in New situations, like when we leave the house or he meets someone new. He rarely plays or makes a peep with strangers around.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Dexter is a lot like other 'toos I've met...very reserved around people they don't know. Milton is much more reserved when there are people he doesn't know in the house. Outside the house, he likes to be a social butterfly...the exact opposite...