• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's in a bond?

Lydia Deetz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
I wasn't really sure where else I could post this, but I'm really wondering about it. I don't have parrots but I'm drawn to them because as far as pets go, I want a lifelong best friend that I can have a deep bond with. I know it isn't healthy when you cuddle your bird and it sees you as a mate, so it got me thinking- what does it mean to have a good bond with a parrot? What does it look like? How do you know you've found your "Heart Bird"?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Hhhm that is a great question! I think it looks very different for every bird/human though. I have had different relationships with all my birds but all were deep and special in their Own way. With Tiki, my rescued abused cockatiel, he would flock call for me, fly after me etc and just spend time near me. Loved to sleep on my shoulder and dose off on the edge of my bed. I showed him how to play and all that and he showed me what birds really need. With Henkie, one of my lovies, he is my cling on baby that loves to snuggle into my neck. Fëanor is more into playing with me while I talk and read(as in I read aloud and he listens or chews the pages lol) more with Henkie.
And as for the heart bird question.. I think you Will know!:) I am not sure either, I love all my babies so much, at this point I just say they are all my heart birdies if someone would ask me!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Agree It is a great question. I posted a similar one a while ago asking what would be the signs of a bond between birds. You are asking about the bird - human bond. what does it mean to have a good bond with a parrot?" I think trust is a major factor here. If you start off with a young bird who has not been rehomed you have a good chance of establishing what you are calling a deep bond more than if you get a bird that has been with other humans in other homes. I do not feel I have a deep bond with my two because there are two of them. They enjoy eachother more than they enjoy me. But that's OK because its what they want to be happy (living in a bird flock).

I would feel really selfish if I had only one budgie knowing what I know about the species.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Trust is an awesome measurement I think! I know my babies all trust me a lot, it is so incredible to me that these creatures choose to trust me. Xena is the exception, but with her I am starting to build trust too. She is a 6 year old blind lovie that was found outside so it is more difficult with her. All my birds have been rehomes/rescues but with her not seeing, well that is an extra challenge:p