1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's for Dinner at Wayley's?

Discussion in 'Feathered Food Court' started by Wayley's Dailies, 5/24/19.

1. Wayley's Dailies

Wayley's Dailies Sprinting down the street I Can't Stop Posting! Vendor

Marsha
    I keep seeing what creative delicious meals you guys are feeding your kiddos, and I haven't shared what I feed mine! So, I thought I'd start a thread where I can share how I present meals and dishes here at Wayley's!

My dishes are never as pretty as @saroj12 feeds. My Umbrella will only eat things if they're all mixed together, so we do this a lot. I always make sure I use a combination of fresh foods, dried foods, and whole food grains.

[​IMG]
    Tonight's dinner.

Fresh Foods: Mango, Peaches, Apple, Baby Spinach, Alfalfa Sprouts, Broccoli Sprouts, Quinoa Sprouts, Baby Arugula.
    Dried Foods: Peas, Green Beans, Carrots, Cranberries, Soaked Mung Beans, Broccoli.
    Nuts: Whole Pecans, Walnuts, and In Shell Almonds.
    Grains: Baby Rolled Oats, Cracked Brown Rice, Cracked Barley, Ground Flax Seed, Ground Buckwheat.
    Additives: Raw Red Palm Fruit Oil, Bee Pollen, Ground Hemp Hearts.

webchirp, MauiWendy, Hmarks01 and 7 others like this.
  2. saroj12

saroj12 Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

saroj
    Omg I love it!!! Will copy your idea! Such a great idea for a thread! Brilliant and we here on AA are very lucky to have you!

3. Wayley's Dailies

Marsha
    Thank you! And yes! Copy away! The dried items I used are those in the Festive Chop, plus Super Sprouts and nuts ;)

saroj12 and rockoko like this.
  4. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Tanya
    Looks yummy! I have to mix it together AND chop it to bits. :D

I find mine eat it better when I have more ingredients. I like your feeding plan on the website. I’m working on not wasting food (yet again)

5. rockoko

rockoko Squawk and Meow! Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Martine
    Omg delicious! Im copying too! :D

6. EkkieLu

EkkieLu Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Tricia
    Looks great! Going to try it with the crew. They are all so dang picky. Hard to find something they will all eat so I end up with 4 different meals all the time. It often takes longer to fix their meals than my own! Lol

7. Wayley's Dailies

Marsha
    My birds eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. They have to forage for their snacks and treats to keep their minds sharp. This dinner took me about a half hour to prepare. Meanwhile, the humans in the house had leftover roast and potatoes. :rofl:

8. rockoko

rockoko Squawk and Meow! Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Martine
    I was taking out one of your “powdered DoNut” cookies and Sunny started running over to me as fast as possible saying “l want a cookie” :laugh: He loves those!

Last edited: 5/24/19
  9. saroj12

saroj12 Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

saroj
    Could you please share your foraging ideas, Marsha?

10. Wayley's Dailies

Marsha
    Absolutely! Here's a few that my guys like!

1. Take some tissue paper and a toilet paper tube or paper towel tube. Lay the tissue paper out and make a line of snacks or treats in the middle. Roll it up tight and stuff it in the tube. You can give it this way, or for added work, take the now stuffed tube, and wrap it in several layers of tissue paper. Tie the ends so it looks like a candy. (I use natural hemp twine for ties, and no longer than 4" to prevent and wrapping around them.) Don't give it directly to them, hide it somewhere in the cage for them to find, or put it somewhere a little hard to get to and give it a good shake so they hear the yummies in it.

2. My Cuckoo for Coconut dishes are a fun dish, that they can play with and eat! Mini birds also love to use these as a nest! I actually took 2 of these and attached them to the cage leaving only about an inch wide gap between the two halves. I put one dish right side up and fill with goodies, then position the one above it the other way (so it looks like a whole coconut with a gap in the middle.) They really have to work to get treats through the gap, but its big enough that they actually CAN get the treats through it. Keeps them busy for an hour or more!

3. Rearrange all their toys. It makes everything brand new again to them! They'll spend ages relearning where everything is again!

4. The edible foraging toy. Take a whole artichoke and soak it in cool water until the petals open slightly. Gently lift each petal and stick pieces of fresh food all around it (Carrot sticks, zucchini sticks, sweet potato, etc) Hang it in the cage and watch them go nuts! You can step this up a notch by wrapping the whole thing in a large kale or butter lettuce leaf!

5. Cover treats around the bottom of the cage with paper cups, or stuff them in paper lunch bags.

6. Cut large chunks/cubes of fresh fruits and veggies and skewer them on bamboo skewers, or just one chunk on a Popsicle/craft stick for a foot toy nummy!

7. Take an empty paper egg carton and stuff it with treats and small toys, and shreddables. Hang it in the cage for destructive fun!

That's mostly the kind of things I do here to give you some ideas! :)

rfrank, Lupen, Tiel Feathers and 3 others like this.
  11. Wayley's Dailies

Marsha
    He's got good taste! I love them too! :hehe:

rockoko likes this.
  12. rockoko

Martine

Wow, awesome examples!

Wayley's Dailies likes this.
  13. Wayley's Dailies

Marsha
    Thanks! I like to focus on nurturing the body AND the mind simultaneously. Makes for happy, healthy birds that can entertain themselves! ;)

14. saroj12

saroj

great ideas! thank you so much!!

Wayley's Dailies and rockoko like this.
  15. Wayley's Dailies

Marsha
    Today's Breakfast: My Protein Boost Oats
    [​IMG]
    All mixed up (Ingredients Below) Note: I do not "cook" any of my birds meals (with the sole exceptions of Rice, Pasta, and of course Baked things), as temperatures over 130 are considered "cooking" and begin to degrade the nutrients in foods. I add very hot tap water, which we have set below this mark, and allow meals to steep slowly (while also cooling).
    [​IMG]
    A very happy Wayley!
    [​IMG]
    Wayley says it might not be pretty, but it's delish! :)

Base Grains: Ancient Grains Hot Cereal - Plain Grains blend
    Dry Additions: Toasted Coconut Chunks, Dried Banana Chips, Super Sprouts
    Fresh Additions: Mango, Papaya, Bartlett Pears, Seedless Grapes, and Whole Oat Sprouts
    Nuts: Whole Shelled Raw Brazil nuts and Raw Macadamia nuts (Always use Certified Organic, Human Grade raw nuts when possible. Roasting alters and damages the polyunsaturated fats that nuts contain. Brazil nuts are a good source of selenium, vitamin B-6, thiamin, copper, phosphorus, and magnesium.)
    Extras: Raw Coconut Palm Sugar and Cold Pressed Coconut Oil

Pro Tip: When it comes to nuts, the term "Raw Roasted" is a fallacy, as the roasting process is done over cooking temperatures (350+), thus meaning the nuts are now cooked, and no longer considered "raw". ;)

Tiel Feathers and rockoko like this.
  16. rockoko

Martine

I can’t see the pictures :(

saroj12 and Wayley's Dailies like this.
  17. Wayley's Dailies

Marsha
    [​IMG]

18. Wayley's Dailies

Marsha
  19. Wayley's Dailies

Marsha
    I think I fixed it @rockoko ? (Still relearning the forum thing! lol)

20. rockoko

Martine
    I see them yay! Look at Wayley enjoy! Yum!

saroj12 and Wayley's Dailies like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)