• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's Dante doing?

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
So usually when Dante get angry, he usually slowly spreads his wings and makes a clicking noise. But thats not what I'm concerned about, he also does this weird thin where it looks like he's swallowing something, Dante doesn't do It a lot, but rarely. I can't get a video or picture because It's rare, but I hope I'm explaining it so you guys have an idea on whats happening

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Regurgitating maybe then swallowing it back down?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Maybe hè is reguriating? When does he do it? Does he scratch his Nose or Flip his wings before he does iT?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Adjusting his crop?

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Does he stretch out? Or bob his head any before? What happens right before the swallowing?

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Once in a blue moon, he just flips his wings before he does it
I can tell you what Henkie does before regurating, Maybe that Will help a bit. When he just started to do iT he would get very excited and fly around. He used to Flip his wings, does The head Bob and Walks a bit to The right and left. He scratches his noise while making a sort of very soft clicking and sometimes while he Walks around he Also does that noise.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
The wing spreading and clicking actually sounds like what hens do when they want to mate. Sure Dante is a male?

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
The wing spreading and clicking actually sounds like what hens do when they want to mate. Sure Dante is a male?
I honestly don't know, but I don't want to take a dna test, usually when he does this when he's upset; like when I try to get him off my laptop or when he's on my desk.

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
I can tell you what Henkie does before regurating, Maybe that Will help a bit. When he just started to do iT he would get very excited and fly around. He used to Flip his wings, does The head Bob and Walks a bit to The right and left. He scratches his noise while making a sort of very soft clicking and sometimes while he Walks around he Also does that noise.
That's exactly what Dante does, except he would walk backwards like he's about to take a poop or something

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That's exactly what Dante does, except he would walk backwards like he's about to take a poop or something
Henkie does The backward thing Also sometimes! If I were to try and approach Henkie when he is doing that, he would litterally fly at my hand to bite me:lol:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I honestly don't know, but I don't want to take a dna test, usually when he does this when he's upset; like when I try to get him off my laptop or when he's on my desk.
Could iT be he has an object thete that he could be courting? Anthing round or fluffy Maybe? Or perhaps a mirror?

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
OK, so I have two males (supposedly)........I had them DNA tested and they are siblings. One of them is dominant and he is the one that spreads his wings, scratches the side of his face and bobs his head and makes the clicking sound. I always assumed it was some sort of mating or courting behavior. I don't think my birds have gone through puberty yet, not even a first molt yet, they are just six months old.

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
Could iT be he has an object thete that he could be courting? Anthing round or fluffy Maybe? Or perhaps a mirror?
No not really it isn't as crazy for mirrors as my last bird, and we don't really have anything it loves to be with

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Peanut does the clicky wing thing for the same reasons as people have listed... and would also when she's "in the mood" and wanted to mate with my hands. :confused:
It is the posture female birds take when waiting for the male to mount them, not to get too graphic or anything just so you're aware. I've heard female birds will sometimes hump, no idea if male birds do the female behavior outside of a same-set mated pair? Maybe someone with male lovies will know.

She's not nearly as hormonal as a senior so I almost never see mating behavior anymore but she still does the more violent version when she sees a particularly hated object like snow gloves or hears tape peelings sounds. Tape noises make her scarily angry for some reason.
There are some differences in her body language between the two, the expression in her eyes and is generally more "intense" seeming when upset with threatening beak grinding added to the clicking. When it's mating behavior she tends to be more clicky and spin in tiny circles; the worlds single worst lap dance.

I never was able to figure it out why other than potentially just a response to being over-excited/over-stimulated. One use is flirty, the other is aggressive/assertive. :shrug:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some of my boys do this. :) Guess they don’t always have to be dominant, lol.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Ankou Twinkie will do the spreading wings. Termite clicks, scratches, and spins in circles. Snerky will hump things, but never does the hen posturing/spreading wings. Bonito and Scoby just want to feed us.

ergunm

Meeting neighbors
my male also did spreading wings, a couple of times I saw him doing perfect hen posturing. but I think he was doing that to show my hen what she was supposed to do. I dont see him doing it anymore since my hen mastered the hen posture now. their mating instincts are very strong and making them do strange things.

@nu2birds, they are starting to try mating behaviors around 5-6 months, so yours are around that time. I read before that another hormonal period is around 10-12 months old, and I can see that at my male now.