• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's best for my bird?

Nukavine

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob Goad
Soon I'll be going away for college and they don't allow pets. I can choose other colleges that let me stay close enough to home that I can stay with my bird but those colleges don't offer what I want to do. I love Sol dearly but even so he doesn't have the best conditions here. I can't let him out until I can hand tame him but he's terrified of hands so he doesn't like my hand in the cage. As sad as I am to say I think the best option is to give him to a home that can better take care of him, I don't want to but I feel like it's better for his health and happiness if he went to an owner with more experience. I know I haven't tried everything to hand tame him and make him like hands but I only have about a year left before I leave and I'm not sure what to do.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
You do have some tough choices and you have already put a lot of thought into it. It sounds like you know what is best. If he already doens't have the best conditions and you will be gone to college.... Sounds like you have a full year to find him a loving home that can provide him the health and happiness you wish for him. I appreciate that you are really thinking of what is best for the bird even though it will be tough as you do love him.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I'm sorry to hear that you can't keep him, it is good that you are looking out for what is best for him. You can always put an thread in the Rehome Highway so maybe you could get updates about Sol? Best of luck finding him a home!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
y I think the best option is to give him to a home that can better take care of him, I don't want to but I feel like it's better for his health and happiness if he went to an owner with more experience. I
This isn't about what you want. This is about what's best for Sol. There is no greater love than to let someone go when that is in their best interest.

Something you have not considered is that once you are in college you won't have "time" for the bird simply because you are too busy.