• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

what would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdbrain9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Donna
I adopted Otto, a blind sulfur crest cockatoo, in February. He was not getting enough attention from his previous owner and I was determined to correct that for him. Boy have I ever! The problem now is that I' ve totally spoiled him to the extent that anytime he hears me he cries to be picked up. And I confess that I usually do. The sound of this little guy's pitiful cries for attention melt my heart. I cannot seem to resist him. But I have other fids and other things to do around the house and simply cannot continue to hold him every time he cries. Anyone else live with this dilemma? How do you resist or prevent this behavior? I have not been able to just ignore him so far but maybe there is some advice out there for me to try something I haven't thought of. What would you do?

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you put a small stand in different rooms that you can put him on and still be near him? This way you can wean him off of being on you but he could still be close enough to hear your voice and know that you aren't far away. Maybe use one that allows for a hanging toy that he could play with while you are busy. The combination might help build up his independence some.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I have a blind Grey who is like this as well. And boy does she know how to manipulate me using cuteness and sweetness. I don't know about your bird but I can't put her on a stand or play gym or she will just walk off into air to try to get back to me. I think our blind birds really want a lot of comfort from their human as it makes them feel safe and protected.

I am thinking of getting a Pak O Bird backpack to put her in so she can just go with me around the house as I'm cleaning or making dinner, etc. That way she can't fall but can be with me safely. Of course it will reinforce her being with me a lot, but I think it would make her happy. Unlike my sighted birds she can't watch TV. She's not interested in the other birds for company. She does play although I think if she were sighted she would play more. And she can only play in her cage since she dive bombs off of stands.

Birdy_in_VT

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
That's what we did. This is a doggy pack from the local big box pet store.

birdbrain9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Donna
Thanks for your advice. Otto also doesnt play with toys and is unsure of himself if he's off his cage (unless I'm holding him). I know I created this dilemma but now just want him to be comfortable with a little independence. A playstand is not really an option as he too will just step off into nothing and fall to the floor. He is uncomfortable with my other fids so relies on me totally. I just want whats best for him and hate thinking that he's miserable hearing me but not being held by me. I need to find a way to redirect his attention away from me and onto something else. Just not sure how.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He knows you can't resist his cries too. He's no dummy. You did create the monster and monsters are not easily "un-created". If you constantly act like a crutch, you'll be treated like a crutch and "expected" to constantly be one. He's not going to like it if you try to change this but in order to undo this he's going to have to go through it.

Being that he's blind, if you want him to be more independent then you have to provide a special environment that will allow him to be so "safely". It probably involves a place that is just barely above the floor (or surface) so that even if he falls/steps off a perch or whatever that it is only a few inch drop to the surface. It's important to give a blind bird an unchanging environment that they can learn and recognize without sight and allow them the time to learn it and accept it. Get it set up and don't change stuff. Sound is going to play a big role in his enrichment. That is something to keep in mind.

Birdy_in_VT

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
He knows you can't resist his cries too. He's no dummy. You did create the monster and monsters are not easily "un-created". If you constantly act like a crutch, you'll be treated like a crutch and "expected" to constantly be one. He's not going to like it if you try to change this but in order to undo this he's going to have to go through it.

Being that he's blind, if you want him to be more independent then you have to provide a special environment that will allow him to be so "safely". It probably involves a place that is just barely above the floor (or surface) so that even if he falls/steps off a perch or whatever that it is only a few inch drop to the surface. It's important to give a blind bird an unchanging environment that they can learn and recognize without sight and allow them the time to learn it and accept it. Get it set up and don't change stuff. Sound is going to play a big role in his enrichment. That is something to keep in mind.
You are absolutely correct. I am sure that Zazu has no problems hanging from the top of the cage because he knows he'll only fall a short distance and has never hurt himself.

The large cage you can get at Petco is perfect for setting up a short cage. It's 30"X30". The top grate fits inside the cage and we use that as the floor holding it up with nylon tywraps. The bottom grate with the handle is the same width but is a little longer but fits on the top and is a little off level but it's not a big problem.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I'd just spoil him rotten and have him become a spoiled shoulder bird.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.