• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What would you do?

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Hi All - As some of you may remember I am moving into a new apartment in a couple of weeks. I can't decide where to put my five cages. Five good size cages (they don't fit on top of dressers - they are on the floor). I don't know whether to put them in the living room or in their own room. I have plenty of tree stands for them to hang out in the living room with me. OR do I put them in my bedroom. When I went to see the apartment I couldn't imagine their cages in the living room. There just wasn't any way to configure it. But I would love to fix up the spare bedroom like a guest room so I'm not sure I want them there. And to have them in my bedroom would require that I be quiet when I go to be and sometimes...well I like to read in bed or play games on the computer or watch TV. I could put a two in one room and three in another room and then let them all play in the living room.

If you had a two bedroom apartment and it was just you and fids in five cages living there - what would you do?

Tim

Avenue Veteran
I think I would set up the second bedroom as a bird room, and set up the living room so that it could be converted to a guest room when needed, like with an air mattress or futon. In my mind, the birds are there 24/7, and I have someone in a guest room maybe 15 days a year. Plus it would discourage any guests from staying too long! :hehe::hehe:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Guests can go stay at a hotel. They don't live with you. The birds do. :)

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I would set up the second bedroom as a bird room. I am in the process of using one of my bedrooms as a bird room also...I thought it would make a very nice guest room - I even thought of using it as my bedroom. It has a very nice view whereas mine does not. But when I really thought about it - I sleep in my room - fall asleep when trying to watch TV or read...and overnight guests are rare. So that extra bedroom will be converted into a combination bird room - sitting - TV room - a room that the birds and I will enjoy. :)

alicat

Real Name
Ali
I agree with @Tim !
It's very hard having a bird in your bedroom, I have to be super quiet in the morning if I wake up to pee ! Or cough or sneeze or move an inch :p

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have 3 bedrooms - One for me, One for my Bulldogs, One for the birds. Guests get the livingroom....:lol:
I did try my bedroom for a while with the birds but I never had alone time. So giving them all their own bedrooms work better.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think having the cages in a bird room is probably the best option. Then you can have some play areas in the living room and maybe a pull out sofa for guests.
While it's nice to have a guest room, unless you have guests over a lot, that's a lot of wasted space.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I would put them in the spare bedroom. My birds being happy 24/7/365 is more important than my guests having their own room a few nights a year. Hideabed/air mattress/etc. in the living room if needed.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I agree with what everyone else is saying. I'd give the birds the 2nd bedroom and the guests get a pull out sofa bed in the living room.

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
Cages in the spare bedroom and playstands in the den, that is what we did.

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
I would put them in the spare bedroom as well. My birds are in my room and because of that I can't make any sound in it past 8 or they wake up.

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
The guests can sleep on the couch! Let your babies have the spare room. :)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
If you had a two bedroom apartment and it was just you and fids in five cages living there - what would you do?
The biggest bedroom to my birds, and the living room I will share with my birds. Guest can go to stay at hotel as John said. :)

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I'm thinking my guests would be my grandkids. The birds are going to be safer in one room.

Buzzard

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jess
I think a bird room is going to be a lot more convenient for you and comfortable for everyone than a guest room. I don't know how old your grandkids are, but depending on how many of us were visiting at once we were always fine on our Grandma's couch or in sleeping bags on the floor. At least your grandkids would be out there for feathery family members, my grandmother used the 'guest room' for sewing supplies and we were displaced by half-finished projects :laugh:

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Hopefully I can use part of my walk in closet for my sewing supplies. That's the plan right now.
My grandkids are 10 and younger. I figure when they come we will camp out in Grandma's room...or the living room.
My problem I'm trying to figure out now is how to clean the cages and then move them. I'm seriously thinking about hiring some teenagers to come and clean the cages.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think I would set up the second bedroom as a bird room, and set up the living room so that it could be converted to a guest room when needed, like with an air mattress or futon. In my mind, the birds are there 24/7, and I have someone in a guest room maybe 15 days a year. Plus it would discourage any guests from staying too long! :hehe::hehe:
I absolutely agree :)

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hopefully I can use part of my walk in closet for my sewing supplies. That's the plan right now.
My grandkids are 10 and younger. I figure when they come we will camp out in Grandma's room...or the living room.
My problem I'm trying to figure out now is how to clean the cages and then move them. I'm seriously thinking about hiring some teenagers to come and clean the cages.
Good idea! :highfive: When I was a teeny bopper I would have jumped at that opportunity... A chance for some cash plus an opportunity to see some cool birds! :dance4:

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Good idea! :highfive: When I was a teeny bopper I would have jumped at that opportunity... A chance for some cash plus an opportunity to see some cool birds! :dance4:
Sounds like a good plan on my part. :) Maybe I can get some cheerleaders who want a donation to their sport. And if not then maybe just some cash for them.

Reiker#7

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Reiker
I would set up the second bedroom as a bird room. I am in the process of using one of my bedrooms as a bird room also...I thought it would make a very nice guest room - I even thought of using it as my bedroom. It has a very nice view whereas mine does not. But when I really thought about it - I sleep in my room - fall asleep when trying to watch TV or read...and overnight guests are rare. So that extra bedroom will be converted into a combination bird room - sitting - TV room - a room that the birds and I will enjoy. :)
...like a sewing/craft room where u feel comfortable curling up in a sofa chair reading or watchingbtv or whatever. in my future plans I know :)