• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What wonderful progress we made today.

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
As mentioned elsewhere, Farlie hates hands. He's scared to death of them. :scared3:
I was fortunate enough to be able to take him home Monday afternoon at which time he spent all of the rest of the day examining his new home (cage) and its place in my apartment. Surprisingly enough he doesn't know what stress is. The ride home in the car was a piece of cake to him as he sat on his perch and looked all around to what was going on and never flinched a feather. As I opened his travel cage he slowly climbed into his new home with no trouble at all. :cool4:
But, as I approached him to feel him out, BINGO... No Hands, Daddy!!! :whip2: I suppose this was caused by his upbringing. As a baby he had to be grabbed to get him out of the cage then held to be fed then grabbed again to be put back in the cage and possibly crabbed again to be put on a shoulder etc., etc. I left him be till Tuesday.
My cage is arched on top and there is a door in the arch. When opened it lays parallel to the floor and he can play there and does. He likes kisses and lovin' with my face BUT no hands. He loves to put his beak between my lips while I talk and sing to him. He likes to sit on my shoulder and preen me, my hair, my ears, my mustache and beard. He's about the most loving bird I've ever had. He doesn't seem to be afraid of anything but hands. New stuff I put in his cage he'll creep up on to check out but keep those hands away. Oh, and he doesn't bite either! He'll grab my eye lid and stick out his tongue to test/taste it. He'll grab my lips and do the same and my ear but he wont bite. He's very very gentle with that beak of his.
OK, while he was playing on this door, I left my fingers tips on the door to see if 'we' could stand it. He didn't like it at all BUT very slowly crept up to each finger and 'grabbed' them while sticking out his tongue to check 'em out. I almost screamed and jumped for joy when this happened. THAT was Tuesday's progress. :loveshower: :D
Wednesday, today, 'we' learned to step up. By George, he did it! It was nothing more then stepping up then jumping off but he did it!!! :dance4: :cheer:
This is one smart bird. I'm so very thankful I was able to obtain a loving, kind and gentle creature as this Sun Conure is.
I love you, Farlie. :hug8:

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
It sounds like he’s settling in very nicely! Farlie sounds like a total cutie!

A word of caution on all the kisses and letting him grab your lips, human saliva has gram negative bacteria which is bad for birds and can make them very sick. I’d steer clear of feeding him from the same utensils you use as well, sharing food you took a bite out of, etc, better safe than sorry!

I hope you guys continue to make progress, sounds like he’s well on his way to coming out of his shell :fairy2::heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that you are making progress. Agree with soleaux regarding letting him grab your lips. That is something to avoid!

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
More progress at bed time!!! I was able to 'grab'/pinch his beak with my middle finger and thumb. He didn't mind me doing that so I used my index finger to rub/scratch his head at the same time. His eyes closed with pleasure for about 15 seconds then he jumped away. :lol: It was amazing. Tomorrow we'll try some more 'step-up' exercises and maybe another beak squeeze and head scratch or two. :D
Farlie is a really smart bird. I'm so glad he's so calm and easy. I really got fortunate with this baby. :hug8:

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Good job! It can take years to win their trust. Miss Riti will just now tolerate hands after over a year. I've had to use every trick in the book to get this far. BUT she will sometimes allow me to sneak in a scritch or two. I comes down to "It feels so good" outweighing "HANDS!! Get Away!!"

But it sounds like you are on the right track. Farlie keep up the good work and you'll have the upper talon in no time!

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
He's been doing the craziest thing these past few days. While he's playing on that flip down door, he'll lift his left leg in the air and roll over on his side and play with the hanging toys I have there for him. :blink: He has let go with the right foot and literally rolled over on his back to play with them upside down, too. :shocking: :lol: What a crazy bird. :yes3:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Valentine likes to "kiss" me on my mouth and my eyelids. I purse my lips together so she can kiss me and squint my eyes too, you might want to try that. Didn't you visit your baby before he came home? That helped the trust factor, he knows your scent and knows you wont hurt him. Good job!

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Valentine likes to "kiss" me on my mouth and my eyelids. I purse my lips together so she can kiss me and squint my eyes too, you might want to try that. Didn't you visit your baby before he came home? That helped the trust factor, he knows your scent and knows you wont hurt him. Good job!

YES, I do do that now as well. :101010::thanks:
Yes, we had about 4 days or so of bonding in the pet shop. :)

Well, today, he's been acting like a butt. I never did get any head scratching or step-ups in at all. He just wasn't interested. I did get some lovin' and kissin' but not like it usually is.

I was actually trying to get a shot or two while he is on his back but to no avail. Oh well, maybe later...
I guess we all have days like this sometimes. :huh: I still love him so. :heart: :hug8:

Here's a few updated shots from yesterday morning (10/10/18);

farlie4.jpg

farlie5.jpg

farlie6.jpg

Last edited:

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
These guys have minds of their own and maybe today is "Farlie Day" NOT "Rick Day". Don't worry about it I get that from time to time from all my crew. Not only that but he's still a baby and will get into everything, Cheddar is into "Shirt Diving" right now and habit I'm trying to break. But I get snubbed by Nibble my Tiel and my first bird...that hurts too.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Well, absolutely the best progress so far. :dance4:
While he was playing on the flip down door, I walked up and put my finger up to the door and he came runnin'. I never said a thing, honestly. He just jumped up on my finger and reached as far as he could to give me a kiss, so I brought him close and kissed him. When I moved my finger back to the door he stepped off as if it were an everyday occurrence. :wideyed: :laugh:
A little later I rested my hand on the door, palm down, and he slowly walked over and reached with his beak and tongue to touch it and then jumped on the back of my hand. Now, get this, he did a chicken strut and pecked my fingers and knuckles! :laugh: THEN, he did the funky chicken on the back of my hand!!! :chickendance: I really don't know what to call it but he bobbed and strutted and pecked my fingers and knuckles. :yahoo: I tried my darnest not to laugh at him although it was the funniest thing I think I ever saw. I think I giggled a little and told him what a good bird he was. :)
Now, next is getting him used to me touching him. He doesn't like me touching his body or feathers and I want to scratch his head and belly so bad. :D
We had a great day today. :pinklol3:

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
OUCH! I got bitten today. :eek: He drew blood too. First time he's ever done that! I think it might have been partly my fault tho. First off he has this evil streak about him at something yellow. :sour: All the yellow parts of his toys are torn up. I went to the pet shop today and bought him a mini yellow tennis shoe ($2.99) and gave it to him to play/tear up. He attacked it like it was the enemy! :shake: He jumped on it, bit it and threw it over the side. When I picked it up and placed it back on his play door he attacked my finger with a bite, OUCH. :angry: So, I left him alone with that mean ol' shoe and the 'mean' streak in him.
(Don't know what this shoe is made of but after about an hour of complete 'hatred' toward this thing, it came out completely unscathed.)
When done he went looking for me... I put my finger up and he gladly jumped on it and reached for some lovin'. (He likes to kiss my eyelids, my nose and my lips then preen my beard.) When done I tried to put him back on his play door but he didn't want to get off my finger. He just sat there looking all around the room and at me as he was all scrunched down and fluffed up so I tried something daring. With my thumb I started scratching his belly and his side by his wing. When I touched his wing he lifted it up and I scratched those extremely soft feathers under there. :cool3: WOW! Talk about delicate feathers. It's funny how he wasn't completely sure about all that and watched me like a hawk while keeping his eye on me (thumb) the whole time. :shifty:
I think I got it licked. It seems as tho we're going to get along just fine. :yahoo: :swoon::D

Last edited:

Coldbreeze

Real Name
Alana
Awww! So cute! How old is Farlie again? Congrats on the petting of under the wing! Next step us to get Farlie to lay on it's back!

Zazu is getting more nippy by the day. Generally it in the AM or early afternoon. Come 5pm and onward it's all pets and snuggles and god forbid I leave him he is off on a mission to come find me and reclaim my chest. I havent experimented with toys. I just placed an order and plan on showing Zazu all about foot toys. :) on Tuesday Zazu will be 3 months old. I'm wondering when his first molt will start.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Awww! So cute! How old is Farlie again? Congrats on the petting of under the wing! Next step us to get Farlie to lay on it's back!

Zazu is getting more nippy by the day. Generally it in the AM or early afternoon. Come 5pm and onward it's all pets and snuggles and god forbid I leave him he is off on a mission to come find me and reclaim my chest. I havent experimented with toys. I just placed an order and plan on showing Zazu all about foot toys. :) on Tuesday Zazu will be 3 months old. I'm wondering when his first molt will start.
I'm so very fortunate with my baby cuz he doesn't bite. :D
Farlie will be 6 months old on the 22nd.
WOW! You're baby is really a baby. Only 3 months, eh?
I think I read somewhere that the first molt is around 6 months. I'm really looking forward to this if I read that right cuz my baby is about due. :)

Last edited:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Farlie You might change your mind when Farliehas his first molt.They are like two year olds having temper tantrums

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's super cute! I love all the little green feathers that make patterns on him, face, belly ect...

:smileflower::super::smileflower:

You have made great strides with him & it sounds like he's overcoming his fears very quickly.

I loved all your pictures. I can't wait to see one playing ... Roll play roll.I

:bluhug: Rain

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I love reading your stories about Farlie because you explain your excitement so well about everything he does! He sounds like a little charmer, and I am so glad you ended up with a cuddly guy! Love the pictures too, he's a doll baby!

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
I love reading your stories about Farlie because you explain your excitement so well about everything he does! He sounds like a little charmer, and I am so glad you ended up with a cuddly guy! Love the pictures too, he's a doll baby!
Thank you.
Oooooooooooooh, you have keets! I love those little guys. I had budgies when I was growing up. They are so lovable and funny too. :lol: