• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What type of parrot am I looking for?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I've found that the smaller the bird the worse the bite sometimes. Those littles not only bite, they latch on and won't release so all of a sudden you have a vicious little feather-butt firmly clamped to you and no easy way to release ....

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Yes! My caique may be small of stature, but he is large and powerful of beak! (And I haven't ever felt the full force of it.......yet)

Rebekah Rorie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Rorie
You know the problem too well... Which is good because I'm not alone on that one, but bad because it hurts like crazy.

I wasn't aware that caiques have such powerful bites... The pet store has two baby ones That are about to be weaned off, so I'm looking forward to playing with them. But not so much the biting part. I'll send updates on how that goes.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I lover hearing the stories from you all!

You would think that with how small they are their bites wouldn't hurt as much, but that's far from the truth:laugh:.
Maybe a combination of the spirit behind the bite and how the beak is used! :D I still haven't been bitten like that by a lovie that's not mine (and of course the one that bites sometimes is Snerky). Last time I was really gnawed on by her was a few months ago (I was cleaning her cage, which she usually tolerates better). She just couldn't let me do my thing without being vampire bird, so into a carrier she went, where she cried forlornly and gave me big desperate eyes as if she hadn't just been terrorizing. :p

The lovebirds she offered me are a pair, the female is 2 1/2 years old and the male is 2 years old. Both tame, but she says the female is kinda nippy at time (like the one Saturday). I think my mother wants a bird too:D
Oh, so you think your mom wants the pair so you each can have a lovie to love? :) You could always meet them and see what you think!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You know the problem too well... Which is good because I'm not alone on that one, but bad because it hurts like crazy.

I wasn't aware that caiques have such powerful bites... The pet store has two baby ones That are about to be weaned off, so I'm looking forward to playing with them. But not so much the biting part. I'll send updates on how that goes.

A bird can only bite you if "you" provide the opportunity for them to do it. If your flesh is in target range of any bird, you can expect a strike. It's all how "you" handle them.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not one of those people perfect enough to never be bitten, and I don't like using sticks, gloves, towels, or whatever (washcloth briefly if I absolutely must relocate Snerky when she's adamantly against it). :) There are always going to be times I misjudge Snerky or miss the warning. I don't freak out over it because it's really not a crisis to me. I just ask her not to bite her mama like that & move on with the day/evening!

(And of course I'll keep paying attention and learning what the little sharklet disapproves of because I don't want to frustrate her or make her unhappy.)

Edit 2: My boys (& Neut) don't strike me whenever they have the opportunity. Occasionally they pinch if they're upset or dislike something, but it's clearly not to harm. I see the pinches as communication.

Last edited:

Tim

Avenue Veteran

They are adorable babies! BUT...chapters have been devoted to the caique bite! Not to worry with the babies--hormonal adults, though, grab and grind and don't let go!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yes John! By the way...I did a Google image search of "Parrot Facial Bites". Guess whose picture showed up? :lol:
So who would know better than I right? :lol: Hindsight is crystal clear and the school of hard knocks is a very good teacher. :D

Rebekah Rorie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Rorie
Maybe a combination of the spirit behind the bite and how the beak is used! :D I still haven't been bitten like that by a lovie that's not mine (and of course the one that bites sometimes is Snerky). Last time I was really gnawed on by her was a few months ago (I was cleaning her cage, which she usually tolerates better). She just couldn't let me do my thing without being vampire bird, so into a carrier she went, where she cried forlornly and gave me big desperate eyes as if she hadn't just been terrorizing. :p

Oh, so you think your mom wants the pair so you each can have a lovie to love? :) You could always meet them and see what you think!
I think that's what she was thinking, but I'm not sure she knows about lovebirds enough yet...

A bird can only bite you if "you" provide the opportunity for them to do it. If your flesh is in target range of any bird, you can expect a strike. It's all how "you" handle them.
So true, I need more practice in that area:smuggrin:

It's sad now, because the minute I said I'll wait to get a bird. I've found a lot who need rehoming, I'm trying to stay true to my word. But it's going to be a hard one...

tastybeets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
They are adorable babies! BUT...chapters have been devoted to the caique bite! Not to worry with the babies--hormonal adults, though, grab and grind and don't let go!

Oh my god, I didn't believe until we brought home my bf's 7yr old, Bruce, a year or two ago. Oh. My. God. My cockatoo doesn't even come CLOSE and his bites SUUUCK. I'm getting anxious just thinking about how horrible the bites were. So glad he settled in and stopped biting.

As an aside, OP:
I know you're set on a bird, and this is a bird forum BUT...

@JLcribber mentioned border collies way earlier in the thread, and it was really to help you see that birds won't offer what you were originally looking for in a pet, but if you want a cuddly, obedient, intelligent pal that will (if trained) work well in nursing home applications or in public, you will NOT regret a border collie. I have one and he's the best dog I have ever met. They, just like birds, take work though and need to be stimulated to avoid poor behavior like chewing. Seriously though, you could not ask for a smarter more awesome pupper.

Rebekah Rorie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Rorie
Thank you!

I'm tempted, but patience is a good thing. I just have a hard time with it right now... I kinda sorta have a dream to own a farm someday, then have all the animals I want.
I just need a little reminding every once in a while to be patient haha.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Seriously though, you could not ask for a smarter more awesome pupper.

Smartest animal I've ever met besides a parrot. Both equally intelligent. Just a different kind of smart.

Rebekah Rorie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Rorie
I love dogs too!
I'll probably end up getting both when I'm older and have my own house:D.

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
You should look into male lovebirds. They're often pretty affectionate and not usually all that nippy, though of course each bird is an individual. (3 of my 4 boys are cuddly, 2 very much so. 1 of my girls is as well.)

Does this not count as cuddles:

View attachment 226167

Or this:

View attachment 226169

:)
Agreed. Mine is very sweet, can be a little nippy but just wants to sit on me. Hope I could help

Rebekah Rorie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Rorie
Sorry for the late reply, I just got a new job. So it's been a new experience for me, lots of learning.
But I'll probably be going with a male lovebird, something about them just gets me right in the heart strings.

I know when I need someone to watch my bird I can't ask my brother, He's always getting attacked by them...