• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What type of parrot am I looking for?

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think you might need to change your requirement of not being nippy too.

How about a female pionus? (Relatively) quiet, medium sized, relatively even tempered... for a bird. I don't think they're cuddly, but as John says, cuddly can lead to all sorts of hormonal/behavioural problems and perhaps should be avoided.

Rebekah Rorie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Rorie
The only part of nippy I'm worried about is losing a finger, because you know I might need it:rofl:.
I actually know of someone who has a 14 year old female pionus they need to rehome.

As far as cuddly goes, I just want it to be able to sit with me when I'm home. But can be alone too.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

I'd have to agree. What you've described is a great dog. Not a parrot. Cuddling a parrot ultimately leads to problems and is something that should actually be avoided.

A really smart dog like a Border Collie will fulfill all these "wants" you have and then some.
I was thinking of a Lab. You say that you're homeschooled and have lots of time on your hands but you've also said that you're 17 and will be graduating (high school) next year. What are your plans after you've graduated? Do you plan on going to college or university? How would that fit into your schedule with a new bird companion?

I'm not trying to squelch any dreams or hopes of having a bird companion but from what I've read on AA about young people (forgive me, I'm 50+) going away to college or uni, taking any type of companion creature is not always an option. Is there someone whom you could leave your new companion with who will take care of them? Family or friend? From what I've read, most dorms do not allow pets ...

Things to think about before you meet that soul bird companion only to find that you cannot live together.

P.S. A bird that doesn't nip is a Beanie Baby. Even my friendliest, cuddly fids will nip at some times. The same way a BF might snap at you on a bad day.

Last edited:

Rebekah Rorie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Rorie
Well I'm not a giant fan of school, so I don't think I'll be going to college. I've already thought about if I can't take it with me in life, and would be more then happy to work around it. Maybe even get a job that'll let me take it with me, I know it's not wise at all to get one with my age and all. But I'm not one for parties, and going out like other teenagers.

So I thought maybe it would work out, maybe even if I could get a job that has parrots. That would work for me too, but other then the pet stores I don't know of any places... They all say 18, which I'm not yet. So I think I might have come to a lost again...

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You have to take precautions with all birds (re: getting lost or flying away), no matter how large or small. Never leaving them unattended, keeping your door locked when they're out, etc.

Rebekah Rorie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Rorie
I can see where people would think I haven't thought it all out, but always do research before doing stuff. I wouldn't get one if I couldn't take care of it, that's just cruel.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So I thought maybe it would work out, maybe even if I could get a job that has parrots. That would work for me too, but other then the pet stores I don't know of any places... They all say 18, which I'm not yet. So I think I might have come to a lost again...

I tell you this from my heart. You're very well spoken for such young person. You're no doubt very intelligent but one thing you do not have and can not have at your age is life experience. You can't possibly know how bumpy and twisted that road is until you've travelled on it for quite a while and that's once "you" are driving and not just along for the ride.

You have many, many years ahead of you to fulfill all kinds of dreams. You are but a child that is thinking of getting another child. Imagine if you were to get pregnant now and had to become a parent at your age. It would be overwhelming and something you will need to deal with for the rest of your life. On top of that the "child" you are thinking of getting is never going to grow past the age of 3 and is "never" going to move out. This child is going to need as much space, time and enrichment as you do. Not just a cage.

Live some of your life first and get those all important experiences under your belt. Become independent, stable and have a much more defined path before you make this life time commitment. You are going to want to meet and share your life with a special person also. This bird will be a factor in that even happening. There is no rush to do this because you are so young.

You just don't know what you don't know until you know. A lot of us old farts do know because we've been there, done that.

You sound like a very committed person but there is no rush. This is not a race. It is a journey. :hug8:

Rebekah Rorie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Rorie
The flying away part I'm only afraid of with small birds, because they are so fast for such little things.

Rebekah Rorie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Rorie
Thank you so much!
I guess it is too early to get a bird, but I will get one one day!

For this being my first time on here, people helped me get the answers I needed. Even though I won't actually "own" a bird, I'll still have questions. Seeing as i still work with parrots on Saturdays, and some have behavior problems... Which I'd like to help them with someday!

Thanks again, Your all awesome!

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Thank you so much!

For this being my first time on here, people helped me get the answers I needed. Even though I won't actually "own" a bird, I'll still have questions. Seeing as i still work with parrots on Saturdays, and some have behavior problems... Which I'd like to help them with someday!

:)

It is good for you that you get to work with parrots now, especially ones that have behavioural issues. This will really give you a feel for what life can be like with a companion bird. I think it's the best decision for you.

Please do keep us updated on the birds you'll be dealing with. We love photos.

L

Lynn96

Thank you so much!

I think that your very humble to listen to advice. Not very many do. And in the future I think you'll make a great parrot parent :). I home schooled to, way better the public school ;).

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thank you so much!

Now that is how you become an exceptional parrot owner. By getting your hands dirty with the reality part of it first. When its time for you to have a bird you will not have unreasonable expectations. You will have patience. Most important of all you will have perspective from a "Birdseye".

Too bad you can't just skip to 25 years old. :D

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Thank you so much!

Maybe once you've "graduated" you can work with parrots more often to get used to a daily routine for several days a week. You have your heart in the right place and, as JLcribber said, you've obviously thought about this quite thoroughly.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very impressed by your maturity and openness to everyone's thoughts and opinions. I hope you stick around and remain an active forum member. This is for bird lovers too- not just owners. I think someday you will be a great bird parent. :)

Rebekah Rorie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Rorie
One of the kakarikis is starting to warm up to me. image.jpeg Updates: (I didn't know if I should start a new one or not, so I'll use the old one for now.)
I'm a little late, but I went to work Saturday. And this lovebird declared war on me... I think it's a female who might have eggs in that hutch, but I just wanted to give Her food and water. it hurt wayyyyyy more then the African grey who bit me. And I must be crazy because I actually want a lovebird, even with that powerful bite... So if I get one, it has to be a male. My momma actually offered to get me one Friday, from someone who can't keep them anymore. But I'll wait a little longer. image.jpeg

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Oh, I love kakarikis. I actually considered getting some not so long ago before I got Anakin. They are amazing little flyers. Very sweet natured, but quite skittish and not very easy to tame.

Sounds like that lovebird was in nesty mode to me. They can get very moody and yes, those beaks can hurt. I once made the mistake of wearing nail polish around Luna...never again. My hand and chest (she dove down my shirt to really let me know how unhappy she was) were marked and bruised for ages.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
And I thought love birds were relatively harmless as far as biting... :angel3:
Pilo wacks a good punch when he is not in the mood, and seems to know exactly where all my sensitive spots are! Little bugger that he is! :muahaha: I feel sorry for him as he is molting at the moment and no matter how much I scratch him, he is in such a foul mood! Gotta love him, I wish I could do more to ease his frustration! :bluhug:

Last edited:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Female lovies can definitely put the hurt on when they want to! :D They're great at defending things. That's funny that you thought the lovie's bite was worse than the grey's! Grey must've been going easy on you. :)

Anyway, yes, I'd recommend a male lovie if possible because they are usually mellowed and gentler than the girls, and not everyone appreciates having a tiny warrior queen they must pay homage to. :) Did your mom have any information about the one needing a home?

Rebekah Rorie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Rorie
I lover hearing the stories from you all!

You would think that with how small they are their bites wouldn't hurt as much, but that's far from the truth:laugh:.

The lovebirds she offered me are a pair, the female is 2 1/2 years old and the male is 2 years old. Both tame, but she says the female is kinda nippy at time (like the one Saturday). I think my mother wants a bird too:D