• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What type of parrot am I looking for?

Rebekah Rorie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Rorie
hi, I've been wanting a parrot for a while now. I'm 17, and graduate next year. But I'm homeschooled, so I have a lot of extra time on my hands. I know how long parrots live, so I've decided to look at it as a mini marrage. Because it's basically the same thing in a way, I like that it'll live a long time. If for some reason I do get married, I do know that I'll have to take it into the relationship. I've had three cockatiels, but they all hated me... My family had a Quaker parrot for a little while, but it liked to bite me then laugh... So I know for sure I don't want to get a cockatiel, and not a Quaker either. Because it's illegal to have it in ten states, and one of the states I'd like to visit one day. I volunteer at a pet store, so I get to see and work with the parrots they have there. I love it! One problem I've just noticed is that I don't think I want it to be able to talk well... The reason for that is I know some people who swear, and the parrot will be with me most of the time, I don't want it to pick that up and bring it home... Noise is a little bit of a problem too, I don't mind it. But my family probably will, so not something too loud. I want something kinda cuddle (I kinda need it to be cuddle, as I get lonely easily at times), but also can be fine alone while I'm at work. Unless I can get a job that allows me to take it with me, which another pet store might let me do. I've narrowed it down to a Senegal parrot, white bellied caiques, green cheek conure but I'm worried about the nippy part on them... White cap pionus, Maximilian pionus, maters parrot, and parrotlet I like them most but the size it's way too small for me. As I said the nippy part I can't deal with forever, but I don't mind training it to not be nippy. Because I might end up working in a nursing home, and having it as a service parrot. I also babysit at times, so it'll be around children too. But not a lot, because I don't trust them. I pretty much want something cuddly, sweet, gets along with people and other animals, go with the flow kind of parrot. If I didn't put that well, please correct me.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I am afraid that what you described is a dog.

My 2 most cuddly birds are the ones most likely to nip. That would be my Rose breasted cockatoo and my Hahns Macaw. My best talker is my Senagal. My most even tempered is my Blue Head Pionus but he is not really cuddly. My cockatiels are sweet and like to sit on me but are not onto being cuddled.

Good luck with your search for the appropriate pet for you.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I pretty much want something cuddly, sweet, gets along with people and other animals, go with the flow kind of parrot. If I didn't put that well, please correct me.

I am afraid that what you described is a dog.

I'd have to agree. What you've described is a great dog. Not a parrot. Cuddling a parrot ultimately leads to problems and is something that should actually be avoided.

A really smart dog like a Border Collie will fulfill all these "wants" you have and then some.

Rebekah Rorie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Rorie
Thank you, I do have a dog though. But he's more into my brothers then me.

Rebekah Rorie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Rorie
Or maybe not even cuddly as to what in hearing, just something that will sit with me. Because I've been through all the animals, and parrots are the only ones that I really really like

alicat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ali
It's honestly hard to impossible to say that a bird is going to be cuddly, quiet, and independent. You described the perfect parrot and there is none. If that's what you want it's best you maybe search rescues and find and older bird as babies are unpredictable. You can't expect a parrot to be any of those things though. It's best you get a bird and expect it to be a bird, and if any one of those things happen you're lucky and it's an added bonus.
Going in with a mindset of "I want it to do this this and this" will leave you disapppinted.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
I don't think what you described is even possible in a parrot. The thing with parrots is even if you get one that is known to be not nippy and cuddly its really a crap shoot because one bird may be "cuddly" with one person and bite the other. Really its just up to the parrot. Also you may have a great Baby parrot at first and then 3 years later that sweat parrot turns into a biting maniac. Thats just parrots and there isn't a certain type of parrot that doesn't act like a parrot. My Kai is a sweetheart but he is nippy pretty much daily. Some days more than others. Nippy to me may not be what someone else would describe as nippy. But basically if Kai is in a mood and he doesn't like something he will nip our hands to let us know. Thats is normal for a parrot. You can't behavior train a parrot. The parrot behavior trains you.

When people speak of parrot training they are referring to tricks. Not behavior. You have to learn your parrots personality and adjust how you behave accordingly.

Once you learn that and figure it out then the bond you can potentially have with your parrot can't even be described. You just have to experience it to understand it. But I am afraid the list of expectations you have laid out are just a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:

Rebekah Rorie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Rorie
I think my expectations were set way to high after reading what you all said... But even now if it's not cuddly, and will bite me all the time I'm willing to put up with that.

Rebekah Rorie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Rorie
The dog is mine (kinda), he does what ever he wants. He's more like a cat them a dog to be honest, he just only likes to be with me early in the morning while I'm sleeping. So I don't get to cuddle him then, because I don't notice him haha.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think my expectations were set way to high after reading what you all said... But even now if it's not cuddly, and will bite me all the time I'm willing to put up with that.
You should look into male lovebirds. They're often pretty affectionate and not usually all that nippy, though of course each bird is an individual. (3 of my 4 boys are cuddly, 2 very much so. 1 of my girls is as well.)

Does this not count as cuddles:

image.jpeg

Or this:

image.jpeg

:)

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
You should look into male lovebirds. They're often pretty affectionate and not usually all that nippy, though of course each bird is an individual. (3 of my 4 boys are cuddly, 2 very much so. 1 of my girls is as well.)

Does this not count as cuddles:

View attachment 226167

Or this:

View attachment 226169

:)

I was going to suggest this too! One thing I would add is that you should make sure your family are okay with their noises. I don't find them loud, but the pitch gets to some people.

I know you said parrotlets are too small, but I'm sort of confused as to why small is an issue? You don't want a bird that's very loud or learn to talk, so you kind of limit yourself there to the smaller birds. Besides, the little ones can be / are just as great a companion as the larger species. Once you've bonded to one, it really doesn't matter how big they are. Male lovies can be the sweetest little things. I have a male and female (the latter of these two just stuck her head up out of my shirt where she was sleeping to get head scritches) and I wouldn't trade them for the world.

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
I agree that you limit yourself with wanting a quiet, non talker. I have green cheeks and they can get really loud and they are known for being the quiet conures. It might be because I have three and they enjoy testing their pitch. But even with one she would get loud on occasion.
Small birds might be small but they have huge personalities.
I would visit a rescue and interact with all the birds you are interested in. It'll help you hear how loud they really are, what they may act like, etc.

Rebekah Rorie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Rorie
Thank you!
I'll look into lovebirds. we have them at the pet store, I've just never really looked at them... and I'll ask my family this week hopefully. No bird will be a "quiet" bird, I was just looking for one that's quieter then most I guess.

The only problem I had with small birds is I thought it would be too small and get lost, or It might fly away... Because the wings are so small, Other then that I think they are really great!

Thank you all again, it's really helped:D

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think before you get another bird you might want to think about why you think your three cockatiels hated you. First, I don't think any bird "hates" anyone. They usually react out of fear, mishandling, etc. And generally, cockatiels are known to be one of the most laid back types of parrots. I wonder if your expectations of them were too much? I don't want to put a damper on your enthusiasm for another bird but I do find it a little concerning that your relationship with your other birds wasn't successful. That doesn't mean it can't be with a new bird but I think it requires some examination of what didn't work before.

Last edited:

Rebekah Rorie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Rorie
I think maybe it's because of the people I got them from didn't treat them right, so I got the back fire from that and didn't know how to handle it...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I will say that my adopted birds have always been the most well behaved. My truly worst behaved parrot is the one I got as a baby, and I now really think that babies should be left for the professionals to raise. Everyone thinks they can do a better job than the person who "messed up" a bird before them, but really, if you have no prior, true training experience, what makes you more qualified? I have learned this the hard way and it is very taxing on me now to live with a bird 5 years later that bites, screams, and dive bombs me. The birds I adopted that were 10 months, 11 years, and unknown aged never did that to me...

quiet and cuddly to me is a cat, and they can make awesome service animals ;) Around here it is also much easier to find an apartment that will take a cat than a dog. I have a cat who is 16 years old, and she doesn't show signs of slowing down yet!

Rebekah Rorie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Rorie
I'm allergic to cats, and most long haired dogs. I'm also not a fan of cats at all... So this is one reason why I love birds so much, they just amaze me.

I think I'll only be happy with a bird. no matter how I look at it, or try to stop I just can't. It's all in which one I can handle, and how much I'll need to change my look on it to get one. That's how much I want one.

Rebekah Rorie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Rorie
Let's forget me saying quiet too, just no too too ear piercing would be nice...