• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What type of cockatoo is my wife holding here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The sexual organs on a cockatoo are located under the wings and on the back. So if that's where anyone is petting them, guess what your petting?
That makes no sense whatsoever.:huh:

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So if that's where anyone is petting them, guess what your petting?
What?!?!?! They might be internal, but that's not where they're at.
Now if you were to say that it's an erogenous zone on a bird, I might partly agree ;)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

What?!?!?! They might be internal, but that's not where they're at.
Now if you were to say that it's an erogenous zone on a bird, I might partly agree ;)
Yes!

Stacy_b

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Stacy
The sexual organs on a cockatoo are located under the wings and on the back. So if that's where anyone is petting them, guess what your petting?
Does this mean my whoha is in my neck since I enjoy being *petted* there???
I have never heard of this in my life...where did you get this information? I would love to read it.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Has anyone seen a diaphragm of a birds organs? I recommend taking a looksy (hint: sexual organs are located near the kidneys);)

From what I have seen online the sexual organs are located near the aorta and the kidneys which if anyone doesn't know is on the back of the bird. You know where the knees are located right near the wings? Well that part, that area of the back/under the wings is where the male's testes and the females eggs are stored.

So John is in theory correct. When your stroking down your birds back, guess what else your stroking and stimulating. LOL.

And for those that didn't know that bird's sexual organs are very different than a human, read this article.:)

http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww33eiv.htm

Last edited:

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Has anyone seen a diaphragm of a birds organs? I recommend taking a looksy ;)

From what I have seen the sexual organs are located near the aorta which if anyone doesn't know is on the back of the bird. You know where the knees are located right near the wings? Well that part, that area of the back is where the male's testes and the females eggs are stored.

So John is in theory correct. When your stroking down your birds back, guess what else your stroking and stimulating. LOL.
Actually I have ;) the gonads and the ovaries are there, but the actual sexual organs are not.
My ovaries are in my abdomen, but stroking me there will not excite me;)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Actually I have ;) the gonads and the ovaries are there, but the actual sexual organs are not.
My ovaries are in my abdomen, but stroking me there will not excite me;)
Humans and birds are very different. And from what I understand from anatomy, gonads and ovaries are sexual organs, if they are not than I have no idea what you would call them? They are indeed sexual organs. They may not be the external sexual organs like the vagina and junk, but they are apart of the reproductive tract. And in parrots, they need little stimulation to stimulate the birds with hormones. Anyone who has an avian vet could ask them if petting/stroking under the wings and backside sexually stimulates a bird. I know I believe it as I've seen it many times.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Anyone who has an avian vet could ask them if petting/stroking under the wings and backside sexually stimulates a bird. I know I believe it as I've seen it many times.
Did that ;)
Here is his answer:

The sexual organs are in the abdomen against the dorsal body wall next to the cranial pole of the kidney.
This is right by the spine.

He's right in that they are located "under the wings" along the back, but there is muscle and bone between a hand stroking the bird in this area and the gonads. So you aren't actually "touching" or petting the gonads in the same way you aren't petting the kidney.

As far as I know there is no "turning on" a bird by touching them in this area.
However, cockatoos certainly can be "turned on" sexually by being stroked and petted all over.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Well Ofcourse your not truly stroking them, but I'm sure they can feel it nonetheless. So your still stimulating them. And when the ovaries and testes are stimulated it produces hormones, in most pet companion bird cases, they can do without the extra hormones.

Stacy_b

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Stacy
Well Ofcourse your not truly stroking them, but I'm sure they can feel it nonetheless. So your still stimulating them. And when the ovaries and testes are stimulated it produces hormones, in most pet companion bird cases, they can do without the extra hormones.
ANY type of touching ANYWHERE on a parrot period, but most specifically on a cockatoo, seeing they are more hormonal, will get some type of sexual stimulation. Ive had cockatoos come into my rescue, when even looking at them or speaking to them in a sweet voice can get them all twitterpated...

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Did that ;)
Here is his answer:

The sexual organs are in the abdomen against the dorsal body wall next to the cranial pole of the kidney.
This is right by the spine.

He's right in that they are located "under the wings" along the back, but there is muscle and bone between a hand stroking the bird in this area and the gonads. So you aren't actually "touching" or petting the gonads in the same way you aren't petting the kidney.

As far as I know there is no "turning on" a bird by touching them in this area.
However, cockatoos certainly can be "turned on" sexually by being stroked and petted all over.
This sounds logical.

ANY type of touching ANYWHERE on a parrot period, but most specifically on a cockatoo, seeing they are more hormonal, will get some type of sexual stimulation. Ive had cockatoos come into my rescue, when even looking at them or speaking to them in a sweet voice can get them all twitterpated...
I will even accept this.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Another reason not to pet or stroke down the back is that is where the male mounts the female, and it can trigger reproduction response and thus high possibility of hormones.

I'm not saying do/don't. As I do and I welcome the hormones and support them. I'll work with my birds through the toughest and worst. I love'em for who they are. But most wouldn't be able to handle or even tolerate sexual hormones (why you see so many birds, in rescues). I'm just agreeing with John that you are telling your bird a LOT when you pet/stroke them in that area.

And I agree, cockatoos are such horn dogs... just looking at them can excite them. LOL

Nìmwey

Strolling the yard
*Have not read the whole thread*

There are two species of Sulphur-crested Cockatoo. There is Cacatua sulphurea, Lesser Sulphur-crested or just Yellow-crested Cockatoo, and Cacatua galerita, Greater Sulphur-crested or simply Sulphur-crested Cockatoo.
Both have four subspecies each. (And the C. sulphurea have two that may or may not be real subspecies, C. s. djampeana and C. s. occidentalis.)

Cacatua galerita galerita - Lives in mainland Australia, and is the biggest of all Sulphur-cresteds, with a lenght of 50 cm/20 inches, and weighs 700-1000 grams. The crest is often of a more "pointed" shape when lowered, and very fancy when raised. The head is small and the eyes are small with thick, white eyerings. It also often has a very pointy beak, unlike other Sulphur-cresteds.
Cacatua galerita fitzroyi - Lives in mainland Australia, is about 48 cm long and weighs about 600-800 grams. Not much can be found about these.
Cacatua galerita triton - Lives around New Guinea and other islands in Indonesia. Is about 46 cm long and weighs 600-700 grams. The crest is very long and rather "straight", the eyering is a clear blue, and they often have prominent neck feathers, not unlike those on Moluccans and Umbrellas, but not found in any other Sulphur-crested.
Cacatua galerita eleonora - Lives in the Aru islands in Indonesia. 44 cm long, weighs around 500-600 grams. It is rather "neutral" in appearance. No bright blue eyering, no "special" crest, no prominent neck feathers, no cheek patch, etc.

Cacatua sulphurea abbotti - Commonly mistaken for C. g. eleonora, and extremely rare in the wild. Found in Masalembu. About 37 cm long (?) and weighs less than an Eleonora, but more than the smaller C. sulphurea. Both this one and C. g. eleonora are called Medium Sulphur-cresteds, and are almost identical. (Making me wonder why they are placed in different species.)
Cacatua sulphurea citrinocristata - Easily recognized by its unique, orange crest. Found in the Lesser Sunda Islands. Up to 35 cm long, weighs around 360-420 grams.
Cacatua sulphurea parvula - Found in Nusa Penida and Lesser Sunda Islands. Also called Timor Cockatoo, it is similar to the Abbotti, but smaller. Does not have any prominent cheek patches.
Cacatua sulpurea sulphurea - Found in Sulawesi and the Flores sea, this little cockatoo (33 cm, 310-380 grams) is easily recognizeable by its relatively small crest, large beak, and prominent yellow cheek patch, unlike the other Sulphur-cresteds.

shf

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
thanks for the info. about sulphur crested cockatoos what type of cockatoo is in the photo to the left is it a greater or triton?
what it is like to own one of the largest sulphur crested cockatoos? are they really loud; i have a lesser sulphur crested cockatoo they have very large beaks compared to the size of their head their beak really stands out it seems to be diproportionate much larger.
nimwey do you own the bird in the photo to the left which is a greater or triton?
can anyone post photos of greater or tritons i have not seen any on avian avenue are there any triton or greater sulphur owners on this site?

Attachments

Last edited:

Nìmwey

Strolling the yard
To the left - do you mean my avatar? It is Yondo, the same bird as in the "Eleonora" picture. ;)

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
I've always subscribed to the nothing below the neck petting theory as it just made good sense to me. I do think if you observe you fid for signs of sexual responses I think petting should be okay. I've been trying to watch Goofy lately and I haven't seen any signs. I'm just afraid that I'm so dense that only thing I'd recognize is him/her rubbing his vent on me. I've never seen Goofy or Strawberry panting, squatting down or building nests. And Strawberry just laid eggs. Maybe this should have been a separate post about 'toos and sexuality. I don't want to put any of my 'toos into hormonal overdrive. Goofy is the only one that will let me pet her for more than a couple of min. How much head scratching is too much, as long as there is no sexual response is it okay?

shf

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
avatar is an elanora? oh thanks the the greater and medium do not have noticeable yellow patches? well she is a really nice cockatoo.

Nìmwey

Strolling the yard
It's a he, and no, only the Lesser (C. sulphurea sulphurea) have notable cheek patches. ;)

Lobby - After reading more about this, I stopped petting Yondo at all (except for head and neck), since the only thing I got out of it anyway was white, dusty hands. :p

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
Um, I don't usually get involved in these kinds of discussions, but there's a difference between reproductive organs and sexual organs. I think there's some misunderstanding on the distinction here. Reproductive organs for humans would be ovaries, testes and supportive structures like fallopian tubes, uterus, etc. Sexual organs are for arousal and wired to the pleasure centers of the brain, in other words, the erogenous zones. There might be some crossover but that is how I have made the distinction most of my life. Now transfer this to avian anatomy and I think that's what John may have meant, but I'll let him clear the confusion.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Um, I don't usually get involved in these kinds of discussions, but there's a difference between reproductive organs and sexual organs. I think there's some misunderstanding on the distinction here. Reproductive organs for humans would be ovaries, testes and supportive structures like fallopian tubes, uterus, etc. Sexual organs are for arousal and wired to the pleasure centers of the brain, in other words, the erogenous zones. There might be some crossover but that is how I have made the distinction most of my life. Now transfer this to avian anatomy and I think that's what John may have meant, but I'll let him clear the confusion.
:eek::omg::hug8: Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.