• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

what type of bird should i get

Jfsozifa

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Juliette
Hi there, im new here
im thinking about getting a bird, actually i have for a long time
ive done my homework and am sure i want one
ive never owned a bird before in my life, when i first started studying birds and looking up which one i should get i used to think about conures, lories, red fan parrots, etc ... i did my research on each and every one of them and was so sure i would get one
but i now ive come to realize that it might be best to start with a budgie or a cockatiel
what im really looking for is a cuddly bird who wont scream too much and isnt too expensive
so i started to think maybe a cockatiel is ideal for me
so i just wanted some advise and tips, male vs female, etc ...
maybe you guys know a bird who would fit me even better

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I think most of us here would say your first bird should be the bird that you want for a very long time. I personally adore cockatiels and think they are fantastic birds but only for a person that wants a cockatiel. Not for someone that really wants something else but "settles" for a tiel. Keep in mind too that cockatiels can live for twenty plus years. My tiel passed away last year at 20. If you go under the different bird sections, under cockatiel, budgie, etc there is a good, bad and ugly section that will give the positives and negatives of the birds. Generally though as to male versus female for tiels, males can be very good whistlers and can often speak some. Females tend not to whistle or speak but are known to be more cuddly. My tiel didn't get the memo though because he was a cuddle bug and didn't speak at all. The best thing for you to do, I think, is to find somewhere that you can interact with some birds- a rescue, etc. and see what kind of bird you like.

Last edited:

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Even a cockatiel will "scream", so to say. All birds make noise to some extent. My IRN will mimic my cockatiel in a louder pitch when she wants attention. It depends on what sounds you can tolerate and what sounds you can't. I've had a few people respond after finding out I have a cockatiel "I used to have one of those, it was so loud I couldn't stand it". I don't think they're that loud but it's all comparative. If you're not used to it, I can see it being annoying.

Edit: I agree with Michellle, get the bird you want so long as you can take care of it. The idea of an "easier bird to start out with" seems ridiculous to me.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Welcome to the forum. I think most of us here would say your first bird should be the bird that you want for a very long time. I personally adore cockatiels and think they are fantastic birds but only for a person that wants a cockatiel. Not for someone that really wants something else but "settles" for a tiel. Keep in mind too that cockatiels can live for twenty plus years. My tiel passed away last year at 20. If you go under the different bird sections, under cockatiel, budgie, etc there is a good, bad and ugly section that will give the positives and negatives of the birds. Generally though as to male versus female for tiels, males can be very good whistlers and can often speak some. Females tend not to whistle or speak but are known to be more cuddly. My tiel didn't get the memo though because he was a cuddle bug and didn't speak at all. The bets thing for you to do, I think, is to find somewhere that you can interact with some birds- a rescue, etc. and see what kind of bird you like.
All very well said.

:heart:Aw, Sunny liked to cuddle but didn't speak.:hehe:

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew

Jfsozifa

Real Name
Juliette
noise doent bother me, but it cant be too loud

Jfsozifa

Real Name
Juliette
Welcome to the forum. I think most of us here would say your first bird should be the bird that you want for a very long time. I personally adore cockatiels and think they are fantastic birds but only for a person that wants a cockatiel. Not for someone that really wants something else but "settles" for a tiel. Keep in mind too that cockatiels can live for twenty plus years. My tiel passed away last year at 20. If you go under the different bird sections, under cockatiel, budgie, etc there is a good, bad and ugly section that will give the positives and negatives of the birds. Generally though as to male versus female for tiels, males can be very good whistlers and can often speak some. Females tend not to whistle or speak but are known to be more cuddly. My tiel didn't get the memo though because he was a cuddle bug and didn't speak at all. The best thing for you to do, I think, is to find somewhere that you can interact with some birds- a rescue, etc. and see what kind of bird you like.
yes, i know! but ive started to really like the idea of having a cockatiel, id just like to have some opinions

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I love tiels. They are cool birds with personalilty. No where near as loud as the other birds you are interested in. However they may scream while your napping or on the phone. It's not loud but can be annoying.
Of course if you have your set on a certain bird then you should probably get that bird. Why get something they you may lose interest in when the "dream" bird shows up.