• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures What type of bird is this?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
what.jpg

I just want to make sure that I am not crazy before I possibly email this person and let them know that they mis-identified the bird. I saw an ad for a red-bellied parrot on CL and wanted to check that out and this is what was posted. Looks like a Senegal to me and I certainly should know what Senegals and red-bellies look like. Usually the green goes down a bit further on a Senegal although the amount of green on the chest can vary unless this is a hybrid??

Last edited:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I surely don't know, but he looks like a piece of candy corn from the chest down! Gorgeous.

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I think Senegals can have different shades of yellow depending on what region of Africa they are from.
See what I mean?

However, I am not an expert, so I am just taking a guess.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Male Red-bellied parrots:
mulder 1.jpg zack3.jpg scully 1.jpg seti 6-16b.jpg roswell (1 of 1).jpg ricky3.jpg

Senegal:
handsome jake.jpg

That Senegal from CL definitely has a reddish belly but gold/yellow iris and green above the reddish area. Red-bellies have red irises and grey above their red-orange feathers. Could be a versteri but after closer examination :) I noticed that the wings look dark like a red-bellied parrot and not green like a Senegal. Hybrid or need a better photo?

Whatever the case may be he is a beautiful bird.

Last edited:

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Looks like a full senegal to me.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Pretty bird!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks like a full senegal to me.
I found another photo on an ad in the recycler and the wings are definitely dark like a red-bellied parrot's wings.
I'm curious to see if the seller will respond to my email. Person is also selling an Eclectus and a yellow-naped parrot.
Found an ad for a Palm Cockatoo in the recycler...price $500. LOL Did an image search and "seller" took the photo off of the Tailfeathers website. It was a bird in a pet store photographed in 2008. I absolutely abhor scammers and, hopefully, no one will fall for this fake ad.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Its a Sennie.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Seller replied and stated that the bird is a hybrid. Wonder if he/she knew that or if I "fed" him/her the info.
Asked how old and why they are rehoming.
No...I am not considering this although the bird needs a much better place as do the other birds this person is rehoming.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Found an older ad and in that ad the seller describes two birds (one of them is the bird in the photo I posted) as Senegal and Red-belly hybrids.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Found another ad and person is also selling a female Senegal.
No reply to my email asking about age of the hybrid and reason for rehoming.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Looks to me like Sennies and Red bellies just wear different kinds of tank tops.

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Hybrids that look so much like one of the parent species really make me wonder why. :unsure1:

I hope this cutie finds a good place to land. I'd be tempted myself if I were closer.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks to me like Sennies and Red bellies just wear different kinds of tank tops.
Funny. Tank top is a good description. I generally call that area a "vest". :D More differences, though. Senegal wing color green, Red-bellied dark grey; Senegal irises are gold/yellow and sometimes grayish-yellow, Red-bellied irises are red; Senegal green on chest above the "vest", Red-bellied grey above the "vest".

Not too far from me...wonder whats up wit the owner?
Don't know. Never received a reply from the email I sent asking why they are rehoming.

Hybrids that look so much like one of the parent species really make me wonder why. :unsure1:

I hope this cutie finds a good place to land. I'd be tempted myself if I were closer.
I think sometimes the hybridization is an accident. People put their birds together and it just happens. They are both Pois so there is that opportunity. I've seen a few Meyer's-Senegal hybrids.

I would consider it but I don't think my flock would appreciate it.
BTW, would Zyda like a match up with one of those very handsome Red-bellied boys? :roflmao:

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Dunno! :p Seems big green doormats are her type.

Though I'd welcome one of those boys into the flock in a heartbeat. Never met a poi I didn't love. :heart:

Big green doormats....LOL. I love Pois, too. I would have every species of Poi if I could.